3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pack system for western hunting?  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Ky longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pack system for western hunting?
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »
Just focus on building up form as your main priority. Blank bale shooting and really focusing on consistent anchor with back tension is a great start. The shooting forum here is a great help. I also used masters of the bare bow frequently when i was younger as a reference for shooting form. Thanks again for the pack pictures, I believe they were removed for containing compound bows as well. No biggie, Great elk too!

Offline Ky longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2017, 02:05:00 PM »
Ryan and Andrew, I think I am going to get a Kifaru Mountain warrior with a Hunting frame. I also was going to get a guide lid as well. It would be great to have when scouting around basecamp. I like the reckoning also though. Your thoughts on these packs if any of you have tried or used them?

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2017, 02:18:00 PM »
Ky longbow....

I'm not going to recommend a pack system for you. I'm going to recommend you grab your credit card and purchase your 2 or 3 favorite packs at the same time, with the understanding you can return any of them. Evaluate them and keep the best. Of course it will cost you extra money, but you'll have the security of knowing you selected the best pack for YOU and not anyone else. I did this almost 2 years ago when I compared an EXO 3500 to a Mystery Ranch Metcalf. It took me about one hour to doubt the EXO and another couple days to confirm the Metcalf suited me a lot better. I was actually hoping the EXO would win out but 'twas not the case.

I wish I had done this when I purchased a Kifaru a few years back. They are totally superb packs but I ended up miserably sore while packing meat with it. I had no choice but to sell it.

Comparing high end packs is a difficult prospect, but worth the effort and expense when you think about their importance to your hunt and health.

Offline Ky longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2017, 07:29:00 PM »
Kevin, That is a very valid point. I may do that! How do you like the mystery ranch packs? Ive heard great things about them.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2017, 07:47:00 PM »
Mystery Ranch happens to be my favorite. That's because they feel great on my body under serious loads. I just (Sept) packed out 11 loads of moose with my new MR Pintler and ended up with NO hotspots or soreness caused by the pack.

The other thing I happen to prefer in a pack is simplicity. Though they are popular with many hunters, I don't care much for modular pack systems with additional pouches, bags, cells, etc. I did that deal once and it was too fussy for my tastes when hunting. Please give me a pack that is straightforward and uncomplicated with fast access and a few interior pockets.

One of the best things I've ever used is the Overload Shelf which allows meat (or excess gear) to be sandwiched between the bag and the frame. I will want that on any pack which is intended to carry meat, if I kill something.

Most of the Mystery Ranch packs are sold to be complete and ready to hunt. No additional lids or upgrades usually. No deciding between belts at additional cost. They do have accessories, but one price buys a pack which is ready to go as soon as you receive it.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2017, 07:53:00 PM »
Mystery Ranch packs are great but they tens to be quite heavy empty.

Offline Ky longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2017, 07:58:00 PM »
I have been looking into mystery ranch also. Randy Newburg has given a few reviews on them that i have watched and they look like they're built solid. I personally have not used any of these packs back country hunting so I have yet to find preference but I do like the modular idea currently so that I may have a "do it all frame" with 1-2 bags and adjustments. I have a meat frame currently with an old tubular backpacking pack that is good for a 3-4 day hike with gear but im looking to upgrade before I head out west. Do you have the Guide Light Frame by Mystery ranch?

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2017, 10:00:00 PM »
Yes...Guide Light frame. The rap on MR packs is/was their weight but that has been largely relegated to the past now. The Guide Light frame and harness took considerable weight out compared to the previous NICE frame. My Pintler is feather light when empty. I go more by comfort and usability than weight anyway.

Offline -Zor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »
Trying out multiple packs is definitely sage advice. I carried an Exo for a day and knew immediately it wasn't for me. The Kifaru platform was much mor comfortable and the fact that the pack and frame are separate so you can stuff meat or a duffle in between just makes sense to me. I didn't have acces to an MR or Hill People Gear bag, so I couldn't test them. The other thing you should do is call the company you're interested in. The guys at Kifaru are all hardcore hunters, most of em with a bow and a handful with a trad bow. They use and know their gear. I would expect the same from MR or HPG. They should be able to guide you in what pack and frame will suit your hunting style.

I also like the modular approach to Kifaru gear. I can have multiple bags for the same frame to suit different situations and I can load it up with pockets and a lid or slim it down to bare bones and use it for shed hunting. Even though it isn't ultralight, it has replaced my ultralight backpacking pack. These packs also hold their resale value like a well made trad bow. If you end up with something you don't like, you can get most of your money back out of it. This also means you can pick up pockets, pouches and even different bags from some other classifieds.

Thanks for the elk comliment. Yes pictures removed due to the technology shown, which I understand. Pm me if you have any further in depth questions.

Cheers,
DJ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©