3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts on Bow Cases  (Read 810 times)

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts on Bow Cases
« on: January 19, 2017, 12:20:00 PM »
I do a lot of traveling to my hunting spots and shooting ranges, and even make a trip to my parents at least once a week to shoot my bows. I will normally pack my bow into my black widow case because I don't like the idea of nicking it on my jeep or getting a limb tip in the door. However, over the years I have become less patient with how bow cases treat the feathers on my arrows in my bow quivers.

The case that I use and like a lot is the black widow case with the fiberglass ribs that are supposed to keep the case off of your feathers. However, I still find that my feathers are usually mashed after travelling. I have been using a kwikee quiver on some of my bows to avoid this issue but my favorite quiver of all time is still the thunderhorn bolt on. The problem with the bolt on is I cannot remove it from my bow before putting the bow into my case which results in crushed feathers. My problem with using the kwikee quiver method is that it's one more thing to carry and although I do like that style of quiver it is simply not comparable to the thunderhorn. Is anyone experiencing this frustration? If so has anyone come up with a solution to this problem?

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on Bow Cases
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 12:46:00 PM »
Not sure what the law are where you hunt, but here a bow has to be either cased or unstrung. I had issues with my feathers getting crushed as well, so I just stopped bringing a case with me on short trips. I always take my bow with me when I hunt anyways, so it's not like I'm worried about anyone looking in the truck and seeing.

It will be interesting to see what others have to say. I still case my bow on longer trips, and it will be nice to see some other solutions.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »
You could always get a case like this Kathy Kelly Design case that will hold a bow (they make a strung and unstrung version) with the quiver on the outside of the case:

http://www.kathykellydesign.com/traditionalaccessories.html    

I own 2 of the unstrung longbow cases, and they work great!

Bisch

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 11:51:00 AM »
I'm missing something.  If I had to buy a case for my equipment for everyday use, I'd opt to get different equipment.  My bows lay in the back seat or trunk unstrung. My arrows sit in a 40+ year-old quiver -- packed in tight if I need to.  If it's warm outside or if I'm going to have to leave it visible, I just throw some towels or blankets over them.  Nicks, dings, scratches, etc. are proof of usefulness, not flaws to avoid.  Why, may I ask, is this such a concern?
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 05:27:00 PM »
My suggestion would be remove the arrows. Plano and several other companies make plastic arrow cases. They're inexpensive, and protect at least a dozen or so arrows much better than any soft case could.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 05:59:00 PM »
Like me, a lot of people like to take care of they bows.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Leroy Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 06:54:00 PM »
Kathy Kelly Design for me as well.

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 09:12:00 PM »
Sam I guess the issue comes down to my personal preference on buying and maintaining quality equipment whenever possible. I do not enjoy buying things to get rid of them or beat them up. In most cases i save large amounts of hard earned money in order to buy equipment that with care will hopefully last my lifetime and even give my future children the opportunity to use. And i suppose I'd rather minimize scratches or dings on my 1200 dollar widow if possible.

Offline Budly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 09:24:00 PM »
I own that same Black Widow case for my 3-piece take-down BW. I also bought a really nice take-down case for my 3-piece longbow that will work for a recurve as well. It was on special for $27 but now sells for $31.99 at Cabela's which is a great deal.  Here are the details...

Cabela's Take-Down Recurve Travel Case
 Regular Price:  $31.99   
 Qty: Item: IK-463238  
 In Stock
Black Widow SAIII 51#@30"
Journeyman Longbow 47#@28"
KidKutny JumboShrimp 52#@28"
---------------------------
"Seeing is believing."
from the Book of Budly 1:23

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 07:58:00 AM »
I use the the Black Widow case that is for strung bows, and has the exterior side pocket for the protective arrow case. I find this very versatile. Of course my quiver is removable, I put the bow in without it. The arrow case holds 12 fletched arrows nicely with broadheads or practice tips. Also the pocket that houses the case will also accept my quiver loose in there with arrows installed for a short trip. I haven't done it yet, but it would be easy to modify the arrow case to accept your quiver into it securely/quickly for full protection with modifying the foam and maybe Velcro or clips... They sell the arrow cases separately so you could have one normal for full travel & one for receiving the full quiver. If you don't want to remove the quiver, maybe the models Bisch referred to... Sometimes I just carry my quiver separate  from my cased bow.

For Bear Quest this year and safe travel in a pickup bed,  Ben made us some protective sleeves to leave in the truck. I don't remember the side lumber dimensions, but picture ~62" long 2x4s for the sides and plates for top and bottom to enclose the box with one end open (~15-16" wide, bow case depending). Now you have that rigid sleeve box in the truck, you can slide your soft case in and out the back and have heavy stuff, stands, sticks, luggage, coolers, carts or deer on top with no damage to the bow or access issues... Hope that helps with ideas.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
I take good care of everything I own. If I get a ding hunting I don't mind so much.  However if I do damage while storing or transporting I regret my carelessness.

Most of my hunting isn't far out the back door. I simply put my strung bow on the back seat of my truck, Great Northern QD quiver attached with 4-5 arrows. I take the quiver off when I'm strapped in the tree or seated in my blind.  I don't leave the bow in a vehicle.

When I travel further by truck:
Short Trip: I put the bow strung in a padded BW case.  The quiver of arrows goes in the outside side pocket but left unzipped at the fletching.

Longer truck trip: I take the bow apart and put in a small padded case. Arrows go in plastic arrow box.

I like the idea of the strung case with slit to keep the quiver outside the case (short trips).

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 12:37:00 PM »
PVC tube for arrows.  Pick your diameter and put on caps and thin foam in the bottom and a little bubble wrap on the top for the nock end.  I just drop them in there and cap it. I can put a lot of arrows in a tube and feathers stay perfect. No dividers. This is what I use on airlines too.

There's a million bow cases. Tough to keep arrows protected unless out of the quiver.

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 06:03:00 PM »
I've had my Kathy Kelly strung LB case for several years and love it. I leave my quiver/arrows attached and simply pack it accordingly in whatever vehicle I'm driving so as not too smash fetchings.

Steve

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 08:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by buckeyebowhunter:
And i suppose I'd rather minimize scratches or dings on my 1200 dollar widow if possible.
If I spent $1200 on a bow, I'd be asking the same question as you.  Touche!
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 10:06:00 PM »
I've heard good things of the Far North Archery cases.  That said I plan to build my takedown into an AR sized Pelican sometime soon as a grab and go kit with bow, arrows, quiver, calls, binos, and knife...all the essentials in ONE place. It'll be travel friendly, airline approved (if I ever win a raffle ticket hunt or the lottery), but more important it'll be well protected and well organized.  Going to a hunt or visit will literally be as easy as opening the lid and if there's a gap, fill it and I'll never be without the needed stuff.

The Pelican cases are high at about $200. However when compared to a $1200 bow (plus sentimental value), $150 in arrows, $125 quiver, $$$$$ binos, $$$$$ custom knife, a few hand made game calls, travel expenses and hasstles of forgotten gear, etc it starts to look more and more like a value over the long haul. I spent several weeks looking at all brands of hard cases for this concept in all price points and came back to Pelican 1700 series cases. It's easy to see why they are the standard for the industry.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©