3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Comparing my Tall Tines and Whippenstick.  (Read 626 times)

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
Comparing my Tall Tines and Whippenstick.
« on: January 19, 2017, 05:22:00 PM »
I recently purchased a used bow built by a bowyer who is no longer in business. I had wanted one while the company was still in business but I simply just never pulled the trigger on one. But better late than never, and it just happened that I found one perfect for me in every way.

It just so happens it matches in bow specs and is composed of the same woods as another bow I have, so just for grins I decided to compare the two. My comparison will not be scientific as I do not have a chronograph and am not very familiar with regard to bow design. My comparison will simply be concerning aesthetics and shoot ability.

I braced both bows and headed to the back yard. I began shooting three shot groups at around 18 yards alternating bows. As I shot and alternated between bows I found they were very similar in how they performed. They both pointed the same and drew with the same smoothness and I could tell no significant difference in arrow speed to the target. Their grips feel and look similar. The Tall Tines might be slightly higher but since I shoot all my bows using a high wrest method it negated any slight difference in grip height. Other than the slight height difference the grips are otherwise similar in feel. I like both a lot. It didn’t make any difference which bow I shot my arrows flew great and my groups maintained the same consistency.

Concerning aesthetics the comparison may be slightly jaded since my Tall Tines was made before Brian started offering risers with a flair. What I can say is that both bows are made by bowyers that have terrific skills. Their design and craftsmanship are excellent and there is excellent attention to detail. In my personal opinion it is truly unfortunate for the traditional archery community that Ken Rohloff has decided to move on and is no longer applying his craft in building his quality Whippenstick bows. I am glad I have been able to add one to my stable of bows.

Here are a couple of photos of my Tall Tines and new-to-me Whippenstick. Both are Macassar and Bacote risers with Bacote veneered limbs and bamboo cores. Both are 60" AMO and 49#@28" draw.

A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Comparing my Tall Tines and Whippenstick.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 05:33:00 PM »
Very sweet bows..

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »
That was fun.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 07:02:00 PM »
Both nice, but that whippenstick is one sexy beast
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 07:30:00 PM »
Very, very nice. I really like the wood combination.

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »
You're right it is a shame, Ken is a great guy and builds one heck of a bow! Man that bow is a beaut. That model is supposed to be a rocket from what I've read.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »
Wow, that is really a shame...  

Ken is a super guy and builds excellent bows.
Maybe he will be back, soon I hope !!!

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 06:56:00 PM »
ive shot both, although not side by side.

the TT is closer in design, performance, and feel to a Silvertip. Both very solid performers and well built w/ great craftsmanship.

The WS has a different feel in my opinion but also has unreal performance and shootabilty. Kens design and craftsmanship are in a class all their own.

I agree that the trad world really really needs guys like Ken. He's a great guy and very talented, as are Dave and Brian.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »
I've never shot a whippenstick but you'd be hard pressed to compare anything to a TallTines. I really like the curves of the whippenstick though!

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 03:04:00 AM »
Michael,

I understand your loyalty to the Tall Tines and I certainly meant no disrespect in my comparison. :)   I like mine a lot and they are terrific shooters. I have on several occasions stated that for me Brian has the best grip design on his three piece recurve as anyone in the business.

This new-to-me Whippenstick has truly impressed me though, and because the two are identical in specs and woods I just decided it would be fun to compare them. Again, my comparison was in no way scientific but I shot for over an hour in the back yard swapping back and forth and they are both extremely similar in how they perform, feel in the hand, and quality of finish.

I don't have anything bad to say about either. I am glad I have one of each and I think it is a loss to the trad community Ken is no longer building bows just as it would be a loss if Brian decided to stop.

I understand that guys can get tired and loose interest in doing something that may have originally begun as a hobby. When something you enjoy doing that began as a hobby turns into work with all the headaches and frustration it can become burdensome. I am not saying that is what happened with Ken. I don't know. I just know things happen and it is the trad communities loss when we loose quality tallent for any reason.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 04:24:00 AM »
Good looking bows !!!   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©