3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: De flex reflex longbows  (Read 1638 times)

Offline batbow

• Trad Bowhunter
De flex reflex longbows
« on: January 19, 2017, 09:26:00 PM »
I hope this post is not out of place.
I owned a Fox longbow about 10 years ago. Loved the bows looks and it was fun to shoot.
BUT I was never consistent with it and finally traded it off to a friend.
I then swore I would never own another longbow and would stay with re curves. However I now see so many folks have gone to theses modern long bows and that many of them have grips/risers that lead to accurate hand placement.
And everyone seems to love them.
So I am now getting very tempted on a couple different ones, partly due to the reports of how quiet they are and how easy they are to shoot.
Is it new bow hype?
Or is it for real?
Stalker Coyote 56, 49@28
Acadian woods carbon recurve 58 46@28
Black widow pch 58, 40@28
Browning Nomad Stalker 45# 28
Morrison 58, 47@28
Black Widow PCH 58 in 40#@28

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: De flex reflex longbows
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 09:42:00 PM »
I don't think its hype

I do love a bow like a Fox Traditional longbow that's slender light and has narrow deep cored limbs with mild reflex deflex.Thier not for everybody though.

Their are so many more options available in the more hybrid longbow area these days.Some with larger risers and more grip options that can approximate about any recurve.They are often cut to center or past center as well.Your original Fox longbow if it was his traditional longbow might have been cut 1/8th out from center.Alot of bows of that style are.

I think you find many hybrids that would be similar to your recurves in style of riser,massweight,grip and centershot or past center.You would probably shoot them fine.I don't see why not.

Fox has the Royal Crown and Triple Crown that might be up your alley as examples.Thier are many other quality options available to browse in the Sponsers links of similar style.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 11:00:00 PM »
I love my r/d Sarrels Blueridge longbow! The Blueridge has been my goto bow since 2009, and I don't see that changing anytime soon!

Bisch

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 12:30:00 AM »
I went to the Horne Brushbow and loved them.

I'm actually going back to a Recurve from Blacktail Bows and will keep my Horne as a backup.

Lots of great reviews on the Maddog Prairie Predator for under 300 new.

The new Blacktail t/d looks like it's going to make a big splash too
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 01:04:00 AM »
In my view, the r/d longbow has most of the advantages, and none of the disadvantages of the recurve.  The advantages of a r/d longbow are that it is faster than a comparable straight-limbed longbow, it has a contoured grip, little or no hand shock, and it is almost impossible to twist a limb.  Among the many fine bowyers who make r/d longbows, I would at least take a look at Toelke: the Whip if you like one piece, and the Lynx if you like takedown.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline batbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 01:12:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies!
Of my three recurves, the Blacktail impresses me the most for qaulity workmanship, style and how it fits my hand.
And I shoot it very well also.
So I am definitely considering trying there new TD long bow.
Looks like way to many qaulity choices right now!
Thats a good thing though!
Stalker Coyote 56, 49@28
Morrison 58, 47@28

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 04:38:00 AM »
I think a lot of people are going back to the longbow for the simplicity as well and how rewarding it is to shoot something so minimalist.

I think that the more one get's into traditional archery they start to get into the longbow whether it be R/D longbow or a Hill straight completely straight longbow.

I shot a recurve for a little while before transitioning to a longbow.

I may get criticized for this but I feel as though the one piece bows are much more aesthetically pleasing and more traditional.

Performance wise believe it or not my longbow will shoot an arrow faster than my recurve and does not require string silencers, limb dampeners, nor brush buttons to shoot quiet and well (which is part of the reason why it's faster than my recurve).

I think some people are put off the longbow because bow's that are not cut past center require more arrow tuning experience but once you have that experience are very easy to set up and tune.

Right now I shoot a longbow that has very mild reflex/deflex and it draws smooth and is pretty light in the hand.

The only advantage I see in a recurve is that they are shorter generally speaking and tend to have heavier mass risers, but you can find longbows that have heavy mass risers that are short as well.

As for hand shock the first shot will rattle you a bit but once you adapt your form to the longbow and get used to the recoil it becomes non existent or not noticeable.

Overall longbows are just much more of a simpler design and more pleasing to shoot in my opinion and you can't go wrong with one.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 06:34:00 AM »
I am with McDave, the hybrid is the best of both worlds, especially in a takedown for ease of travel and extra mass.

If you want a hybrid that really performs check out the Bigfoot Sasquatch takedown longbow.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 06:49:00 AM »
I shot morrison recurve And a Shakespeare recurve for a few years. I then shot a northern mist longbow for a couple years. Then I decided I want something exactly for me. After shooting multiple bows from multiple bowyers I decided on a st Joe river bow   I have shot them for years now. Have bought 4 of them. Can't get a better bow imo. Tracey and Dave are wonderful to work with and can make you anything. You would like. I shoot a 60" torrent longbow 53@28
St. Joe River Bows

Offline Ken Sorg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 07:52:00 AM »
R/d longbows are not really a modern design, they are more of a design re-named. Earliest I'm familiar with is a 1958 Bear Alaskan semi-recurve. Your are correct in mentioning the grip/handle of some of the r/d bows. Once you find the one that feels best too you, you'll likely never look back. I've owned 5 of them and only loved 1,,,that bow was a Thunderhorn a fellow member now owns.

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 10:30:00 AM »
I'd highly recommend the Toelke Whip longbow. I have one that's 62" length and 52# at 28". Smoothest shooting longbow I've ever shot....and I've had tons ! I have the thumb rest on mine and hand placement is quick and consistent. Best part is Dan Toelke's turnaround time. Under 8 weeks for a new bow and he has many models to chose from already done and in stock. Go to his website and see for yourself. PM me and I'll gladly send some pics.   Tradcat

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »
As usual, McDavids thoughtful response is right on. I also like to have bows that I don't need a stringer for.

BTW, I did have a R/D longbow that developed a slight twist.  I have no idea how that occurred. Still shot fine, but irritating.

I have a couple of recurves that I like to shoot, and have had seven r/d bows, only two now.

But for some reason, I just want to be able to shoot an ASL well. I am messing with a  JDBerry Morning Star. I will say it is the first bow that I have not needed any string silencers on. Extremely quiet.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 10:59:00 AM »
I feel the grip is certainly one of the most contributing factor. Also the designs now days are more forgiving and move behaved after the shot. Witch over all makes them more fun to shoot.
High on Archery.

Offline batbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »
Thanks very much for all the input. I searched the forum on and off the last couple weeks for this type of feedback and did not find a lot.
You guys are very helpful!
Stalker Coyote 56, 49@28
Morrison 58, 47@28

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 01:00:00 PM »
I started out with a recurve. Then I moved to a D-style longbow. Then I said that hybrid bows weren't real longbows and just another way to modernize traditional archery. Then I made a selfbow or two and realized that the design had been around years. Then I decided I should shut up and just enjoy shooting.   :)  

It's been a process. I love R/D bows. I've owned many. I really enjoy the St. Joe River design. It's different and I shoot it really well. Their new Torrent model is sweet, but I prefer the longer riser Classic.

I've shot and enjoyed many R/D bows.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline Ken Sorg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 01:30:00 PM »
Your heading in the right direction batbow. Grip style is a very personalized thing and it's the most important part of getting along with your bow,,,IMO. If someone is used to a recurve style grip, that's what they need too be looking for vs. the straight, dished grip. They are out there, just try before you buy if possible.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 01:51:00 PM »
I've owned a bunch of R/D's. And if you can get to an event where there a a lot of archers shooting,or bowyers selling. Try them if you can like Ken Sorg stated. It can get expensive quick if you are anything like me buying/trying/selling.
A lot to consider..
grip style,bow length,1-2 or 3 piece. But I will say this...without shooting one yourself you can only guess or take opinions from others. I have never bought a bow that was just HORRIBLE to shoot. I have bought plenty that had things about them that I did not like,and I re-sold them for those things. I've got my favorites out of all the R/D's I have shot. But I am not here to sell you a bow. Do your research,and get some in your hands if you can. Enjoy.

rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 05:27:00 PM »
Mcdave x 3. My Kanati that I picked up last summer totally changed my opinion on short, hybrid longbows.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 09:09:00 AM »
I got into hybrids when building selfbows. It's just a way to take advantage of geometry to make a really nice bow. I personally prefer them to all other types, and for an all-around bow, I don't think they can be beat!

There are lots of variations, each with their own pro's and con's, but most of them are going to be quiet, hard hitting bows that are very durable and easy to shoot/

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
I have a Kanati and love it.  Its not magic or anything but it fits me and my style.  It seems more and more that bow choice is a very personal thing and once you find what works for you then you expect that it will work for everyone else which is just not true.

My advice,  try one and see if you like it.

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©