3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best bow for the buck?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline BramosCombat

• Trad Bowhunter
Best bow for the buck?
« on: January 20, 2017, 04:22:00 PM »
Hello everyone, I am looking to pick up a new longbow.  I have narrowed my search down to 3 bows.  But, I have not shot them, and sadly have nowhere to shoot them.  I respect the opinions here, so I figured I ask around here.  My experience has been with the Montana and AuSable.  I have also shot the Martin Momba as well.  if any have similar

1. Byron Ferguson Safari Longbow - 55#

2. Striker Sport Longbow - 53 - 57#

3. Tomahawk Bows _Thunderstorm II - 55#

I am also open to other brands as well if anyone has any suggestions.

I have a 28" draw btw. Also, If anyone would be able to recommend arrows or what they use for a similar rig.  

Thank you,
Bramos
Bear AuSable Longbow, 55#
Easton Axis Traditional 400's, 125gr tip, 100gr insert (125gr Stinger Buzzcut)

Better to be behind the bow, then in front of the arrow.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best bow for the buck?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 05:04:00 PM »
A host of great options....
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 05:13:00 PM »
They are all good bows.  The final answer is yours alone because what "I" like may very well not fit you at all.  I hear ya on your location.  Tough to work around, but go to one of the large shoots coming up, the really large ones, and spend a day or two.  You can shoot till you drop, try out different bows and talk to a lot of folks about the bow in their hands.  How a bow feels to you, in your hand, is really half the formula, the other half, maybe, is split between how it looks to you and how it actually shoots.
ChuckC

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 06:32:00 PM »
Jason Kendall makes a great hybrid longbow (kanati) at a great price ! I'll be ordering another one soon !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 06:45:00 PM »
Just a comment. In your signature you list a Bear Montana 40# bow, but you are looking for a bow in mid 50s pound range.  I once tried to go from 50# bow to a 55# bow and it caused form problems and took the fun out of shooting for me. If you haven't already, find a bow with 55# pull and try it.  I can shoot a 70# wheelie bow all day or a 45-50# traditional for a while. The 55# was work and was too physically demanding to me.  I am sure I could work up to it, but a jump from 40# to 55# might take the fun out of shooting.
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 06:46:00 PM »
Take a look at the Bodnick slick stick.  I had one come through recently and I was very impressed with it for an inexpensive bow.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 07:04:00 PM »
Check out Mad Dog Archery.  Mike builds a fine looking bow for the money.  I don't have any personal experience with the ones you listed, so I'm really not much help I guess.  ;)
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 07:09:00 PM »
If you could, attend a trad 3D shoot in your area.  That is a great way to handle and even shoot different bows.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 08:03:00 PM »
There are a lot of personal preferences in shooting bows.  All the bows you mentioned are "good" bows.  Will you like them depends upon your personal preferences.  Unless I get a heck of a deal, I like to shoot a bow before I buy it.  I've driven 8 hours to shoot a bow before buying it before!  Good luck choosing!
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 08:08:00 PM »
New Woods!
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline BramosCombat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 08:10:00 PM »
Thank you everyone for your responses.  In regard to the draw weight, I have shot 50+# recurve and a lot of 45# long bows.  

I draw back 40# very easily.  Part of why I want to upgrade.  

Has anyone ever shot ny of the bows I mentioned?  Any impressions, based on your experience.  I know we all like different things but wat do you all think of them?  

Best,
Bramos

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 10:22:00 PM »
KANATI
Jason puts magic in them!!!
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »
KANATI
Jason puts magic in them!!!
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »
I've shot a Ferguson, thought it was a dud,  lots of better bows out there.  I've shot a few strikers though I don't recall a "sport", good bows.  Can't help you with the Tomahawk.

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 08:00:00 AM »
no way I would order any bow without shooting a bunch before hand good advice above take the time go to a shoot then decide IMO, keep your montana for awhile you have a decent bow good luck
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 08:39:00 AM »
Marin Savannah or Martin Stealth are two beautiful, hard hitting, shooting bows. But as the gentleman before me, I would never just order and pay for a bow without shooting it. Get your hands on the ones that you interested in and also do some research, read the reviews on those bows that you're interested in.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 09:03:00 AM »
Of the three you listed, I have shot the Striker and the Tomahawk. While it was pretty and a smooth shooter, the Tomahawk left me a little underwhelmed in the performance Dept. The Striker on the other hand was fast, smooth, light in the hand and for me, pointed like an extension of my hand. A perfect hunting bow IMO. If I wasn't so happy with my Kanati, it would b on my short list.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 10:13:00 AM »
I see you are in New York City.  That isn't too far away from the Eastern Traditional Archery Rendezvous (ETAR).  My suggestion is that before you buy/order a bow, you should shoot it.  ETAR is the probably the best place in the world to try out a wide variety of bows.  But....maybe you just can't hold off until July and I certainly understand that.

Here's the website for ETAR.  It still has 2016 info on it, but they will update it sometime this spring.

http://www.archeryfestivals.com/etar/
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 12:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by BramosCombat:
Hello everyone, I am looking to pick up a new longbow.  I have narrowed my search down to 3 bows.  But, I have not shot them, and sadly have nowhere to shoot them.  I respect the opinions here, so I figured I ask around here.  My experience has been with the Montana and AuSable.  I have also shot the Martin Momba as well.  if any have similar

1. Byron Ferguson Safari Longbow - 55#

2. Striker Sport Longbow - 53 - 57#

3. Tomahawk Bows _Thunderstorm II - 55#

I am also open to other brands as well if anyone has any suggestions.

I have a 28" draw btw. Also, If anyone would be able to recommend arrows or what they use for a similar rig.  

Thank you,
Bramos
IMO the Montana is as good or maybe better than a lot of bows out there. Before I gave my Montana to my son I put a Rick ****** string on it and the performance was as good as any bow that I have ever shot.

:archer2:

Offline BramosCombat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
I shot the savannah today.  Beautiful bow.  Very smooth.  Fast bow.  I was using my Rosecity Hunter elite arrows with it.  That bow slings them. I definitely like the medium sized grip.  Thank you everyone for the insights.  I am happy to hear different points of view.

Best,
Bramos

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©