3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best bow for the buck?  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best bow for the buck?
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
Every bowyer trys to build the best bow for the buck. What I like and what you like may be similar and perhaps not. Its truly subjective. Some will swear to Silver Tips, Some to Mad Dog , some to Chad Holms and all would be right.
Name a specific price range and what you personally want in a bow and the subject will take a lot more less subjective form and perhaps you can get better answers than What I personally like.

God bless, Steve

Offline BramosCombat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 04:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sixby:
Every bowyer trys to build the best bow for the buck. What I like and what you like may be similar and perhaps not. Its truly subjective. Some will swear to Silver Tips, Some to Mad Dog , some to Chad Holms and all would be right.
Name a specific price range and what you personally want in a bow and the subject will take a lot more less subjective form and perhaps you can get better answers than What I personally like.

God bless, Steve
Thank you Steve.  My price range is in the $600 - $800 willing to bend a little more flr the roght bow.  Quite as in no twang (although i know that can be tamed.)  I jave a love for long bows, but inwould like to keep the length from 58" to around 64"  the bow will be used for Hunting and 3D. I would like a medium sized grip.   I have large hands, but the medium grips feel great.   Im not a fan of palm swells in the bow.  I realize my original post left some room for interpretation.

Best,
Bramos
Bear AuSable Longbow, 55#
Easton Axis Traditional 400's, 125gr tip, 100gr insert (125gr Stinger Buzzcut)

Better to be behind the bow, then in front of the arrow.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 06:56:00 PM »
Unfortunately this is hard for someone to pick for you. People can recommend what they like. It every one is different.  I think to often guys buys bows strictly by recommendation instead of what's the right bow for them. It why there are so many great bows for sale used. If I could do it over again I wouldnt but a single bow untill I shot enough of them to make a good decision. In my opinion there really isn't an ad now out there. Just find the one that fits you best and is the most comfortable. That will be the one you shoot the greatest. And don't worry about what brands are "popular". I myself love that bear ausable.

Offline Tom Parsons

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »
Just posted some Kimsha bows over in the classifieds you can take a look at.
Tom "TP" Parsons
Bowyer & Traditional Archery Equipment
13310 Olde Oak Drive
Charlotte Hall, MD 20622
Phone: 301-934-5234
 http://www.kimsha.com/
Email:  [email protected]

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2017, 09:03:00 PM »
I believe that there are a whole raft of great bowyers on here that will build you a super nice custom longbow in that range. I would recommend every one of them that is on the sponsor list as being good quality bowyers. Check out our websites and you will be amazed.

God bless, Steve

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »
Have you thought about calling up some of these fine folks and asking if you can borrow one of thier bows?
My experience is with mass produced bows built by commercial bow companies your not getting the extra mojo that a custom bowyer can potentially give a bow. But if the bow fits no one can argue against you, especially if your shooting a hole through the 12 ring!
If this is new to you then go cheap. I've changed over the last 30 years in what I like in a bow. And as bows continue to improve and my taste improves I'll continue to buy more well designed bow(s).

Offline NE Texas Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »
For $350 dollar range you can have a Omega R/D Longbow built buy Kegan McCabe. His longbows are suppose to be some of the fastest, most hard hitting hunting longbows being made. Cut to center shelf for easier arrow tuning, and the ability to have your personal favorite grip style. He also backs them with a Lifetime Guarantee.
XXX====Genesis 21:20====>

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 04:00:00 PM »
Brandon... Check Your PM's Please...

Thanks!
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2017, 08:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by NE Texas Bowhunter:
For $350 dollar range you can have a Omega R/D Longbow built buy Kegan McCabe. His longbows are suppose to be some of the fastest, most hard hitting hunting longbows being made. Cut to center shelf for easier arrow tuning, and the ability to have your personal favorite grip style. He also backs them with a Lifetime Guarantee.
Exactly what I got when I wanted a longbow. I love my Omega original. It is definitely fast and cheap! I don't mind getting it dirty on a hunt and it hits what I point it, if I do my part. It is a perfect starter longbow but I am anxious to get more experience and shoot some different styles to see if there are some different attributes that I would like.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2017, 08:38:00 PM »
To save money I'd be buying from the classifieds.  

Lots of terrific bows for prices that will make you cry...especially if you are selling!  I've bought several used bows from those classifieds. Every experience has been super positive!  "Met" some fine people to boot.

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2017, 08:48:00 PM »
Toelke--- check out montana bows.  Dan makes great bows that shoot as well as they look.  Call him before you order anything else---you won't regret it.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »
Forgive me -- I'm a bit of a stoic (of the ancient variety).

It's a bow.  Not a spouse.  Buy the one you find prettiest because they all probably deliver an arrow as accurate and true as any other.  

How about keeping the cost under $500 and investing the rest of your budget in a coach to work on your shooting or hunting skills?  I assume you're already pretty good (knowing nothing so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt).  But we can all get better.

Let's face it, give a good archer one of my amusing attempts to build a selfbow and he/she will probably outshoot me with a full olympic setup.  Many experienced hunters in this forum could probably kill more deer with a spear than I could with my .308 (and I'm not that bad with a rifle).  Experience and skill trump equipment every time.  A bow is a tool, nothing more.  The weapon is you.

Or do as the ancients did when faced with needing to make a decision under uncertainty: put the issue in the hands of fate (randomness) by casting lots.  Put the names of each bow on a piece of paper & draw names out of a hat.  If a clear option is not easily identifiable, then one guess is as good as any other.

Or just buy the one you find prettiest.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »
I have a yew Shelton from Northern Mist that is slicker than cat dookey. I would recommend it, but it really comes down to which bow handles best for you and best boosts your confidence.
Sam

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2017, 07:44:00 AM »
I say hold out until Denton hill in July,,, try about 40 different bows and maybe twice that in used and the bow that works will kind of speak to you at the target butts.

you currently shoot 40#???  I'd make sure I was positive I'm ready for 55# though,, its a big jump especially if you plan on shooting alot of arrows each time out..
"Us vs Them"

Offline BramosCombat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »
Thank you again for all of the help.  I have been taking some time to try a few different bows.  Funny thing, went to the range the other day and a few of our longbow shooters were there.  

I had a chance to shoot the Momba, the Savannah, a Howard Hill, and an Ausable.  Fell in love with the Ausable and the Savannah.  

Following the advice of some of the members here, I decided to go with a bow I have shot and enjoy the feel of.  Looking like I will go with one of those two.  I also spoke with a friend of mine there who is a 20 year longbow hunter, and he will be assisting me in getting my form sharper.

I absolutely am thankful for the help and the knowledge on the board.  I will take my time before I make the buy.  Maybe shoot them a few more times.

Best,
Bramos
Bear AuSable Longbow, 55#
Easton Axis Traditional 400's, 125gr tip, 100gr insert (125gr Stinger Buzzcut)

Better to be behind the bow, then in front of the arrow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©