3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Modern traditional archery too high tech?  (Read 3847 times)

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Modern traditional archery too high tech?
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2017, 10:08:00 PM »
There's little respect for the idea of old school traditional anymore, primitive archery is the closest thing left and the rest is procrastination at it's finest.  No rules, no limits and no sense of keeping it simple.  

Easy Peezy Archery...the practical alternative to traditional.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2017, 10:25:00 PM »
The journey we are on is also a journey away from something.

Focusing on the fulfillment filters out the noise of distraction.

Worries will not undo the sufferings of tomorrow yet will sap the strength of today.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2017, 10:29:00 PM »
A large percentage of hunters will always use the most advanced/easiest killing weapon permitted. Those hunters are the ones that will determine how long your seasons are. I'm not with the school of thought that all hunters should stick together. I think we have a duty to care about what others hunt with in archery season. And promote traditional bows when possible.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by longbow fanatic 1:

Originally posted by BlacktailBowhunter:

Originally posted by Travisc406:
that's the beauty of what archery it is, its individual and whatever you want it to be.  My bow is an extension of what my personality is. I feel when you look at my bow you can see who I am.

I could care less what the guy next to me is shooting. As long as he isn't cheating on regulations or laws. So be it.
I use a clicker, so if you feel like you're more of a traditional hunter than me, because you don't use a clicker, congratulations.

Us clicker guys may be the bottom feeders of the trad world, but we're still above the guys that shoot the super recurves with carbon foam laminated limbs.      :goldtooth:    [/b]
I know you must not feel this way, but no one is better than another. Trad archers who shoot wood bows as well as the greats like Fred Bears, Etal, are no better than those who use clicker or fancy ILF bows with foam core limbs. [/b]
Complete sarcasm. I've got friends and family that hunt with every weapon under the sun, and I will hunt with a compound and rifle depending on the target animal. Trad is my favorite, but I'm only as trad as I want to be and could care less what other people think about my chosen weapon. I have an awesome group of friends that hunt with various disciplines.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2017, 06:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Travisc406:
that's the beauty of what archery it is, its individual and whatever you want it to be.  My bow is an extension of what my personality is. I feel when you look at my bow you can see who I am.

I could care less what the guy next to me is shooting. As long as he isn't cheating on regulations or laws. So be it.
Yeah, this! Only definitions I apply are for evening the playing field in tournament's!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2017, 06:56:00 AM »
I shoot what I like and applaud folks for shooting what they like. No need to put other archers/hunters down.

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2017, 07:04:00 AM »
Just at first sight, a Bear takedown assembly looks way more high tech than an ILF connection assembly.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2017, 07:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by forestdweller:
Anyone else feel the same way?

I see a lot of posts on other archery websites and a lot of people are talking about how they need to shoot these bow's that are very high tech and very fast to hunt and it's kind of odd to me.

Talks of the latest super recurves with carbon foam laminated limbs, clickers, magnesium alloy bow quivers, and the latest small diameter light tapered carbon shafts with lumnocks and so forth and so on.

I'm not going to name names but some of these bows could easily be mistaken for a compound.

What's really odd as well is that if you take the fastest modern traditional bows and put them up against the best selfbows (that I'm aware of) and the difference in speed is maybe 10fps (I could very well be wrong on this number but it's within 10-20fps) between a selfbow and a carbon/glass laminated bow.

Does anyone else feel the same way? That modern traditional is becoming (or has become) high tech like compound?

This post was not intended to berate anyone but is just my opinion.
No.
This debate has been started and finished numerous times over.
Your numbers are off.
Been shooting Longbows and recurves for 35 years...never seen one that looks like a compound.
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2017, 08:41:00 AM »
Bows are not becoming too high tech for my tastes.

I shoot what I want without influence by others. Sometimes I shoot a compound and a recurve during the same session. Did this week in fact.  

Some times I feel like a nut, some times I don't.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2017, 09:31:00 AM »
The technology in compounds is light years ahead of any technology we would use on stickbows.

Always has been and always will be

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »
The latest compound technology is always based from the stand point of taking the human or athletic quotient out of the game.  Lots of folks will go for the process, follow these simple mechanical steps and arrows go where you want them to.  The latest compounds with all of the gizmos is not really much different than a crossbow.  With the crossbow you still have to physically go through all of that work to cock it and actually need to put the arrow on the string yourself, and you need to do that every time.   It's exhausting.   And if that's not all , those things don't carry them selves, you have to do it.   A growing number of manly men around here are getting past needing to use those horrible compounds, by having chiropractors and doctor sign a slip that says they have an ouchy shoulder, then they get to hunt with crossbows.   The one thing that the area modern shooters have proven is that they can shoot little red spots.  Their hit to find ratio on deer is not very impressive, in fact it is an embarrassment.

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
The bridge from Compound to Crossbow is miniscule compared to the bridge from any recurve/longbow to compound comparatively.  

Shooting a selfbow or "high tech" recurve, using fingers and no sighting apparatus...are identical, because they both rely 100% on the shooters skill and athletic ability.  

I shoot trad because anything else, and I might as well just wait for firearm deer season.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2017, 12:37:00 PM »
Yet numerous recurve bow makers now advertise AMO speeds approaching 300fps, granted with light weight twig like arrows. Point is, as long as we're trying to be high and mighty claiming moral and ethical superiority while slinging skinny arrows from carbon fiber bows we're being hypocritical at worst and elitist snobs quite likely.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2017, 12:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Soonerlongbow:
Yet numerous recurve bow makers now advertise AMO speeds approaching 300fps, granted with light weight twig like arrows.
Please enlighten us with examples!!! AMO speed is determined with a set arrow weight at a set draw weight and a set draw length.

Bisch

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »
Why can't people let others enjoy what they like about our sport. The only hypocritical and elitist snobs are the ones that try to push their way of thinking on you. How come primitive archers can get along with laminated bow archers? Seriously, live and let live folks. Division among us will be the death of us... were not discussing the difference between a crossbow and longbow, there is a definite line there, you're saying if I shoot limbs with a foam core or carbon lamination's that I am not a true traditional bowhunter and you're above me... don't worry, I won't share a hunting camp with you.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »
Soonerlongbow,  I've never seen any bowyer claim 300fps from a trad bow let alone "numerous". 200fps maybe (& supported by a chrono) but never 300. Hopefully that was a typo.

Regardless of technology, Compounds and trad bows aren't even in the same category anymore as far as I'm concerned.

I shoot both and hunt with both

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2017, 01:04:00 PM »
More accurate to say several. Alaska Bowhunting Suppy is one of them. I've seen other as well, typically majority carbon construction or similar.
As Luv2Bowhunt said, live and let live.
I say hunt and let hunt.
I don't give two hoots as to how a hunter hunts. More accurately, when our chosen weapon was the dominant type it literally was the state of the art. Well the art has advanced.
Hunt and let hunt.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »
I don't think you know what you are talking about.  You certainly know little regarding the history of "traditional archery."  Clickers have been around longer than you've been a bowhunter, I bet.  I guess you have never heard of the magnesium-handled Bear take down bow.  I seriously doubt your figures on comparing bow speeds between a tricked out trad recurve and a selfbow.  Not buying your numbers at all.  Made up news like Trump talks about.  You can play the "I'm more traditional than you!" game all you like.  I am not impressed.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2017, 01:40:00 PM »
I have had lots of discussions through the years with folks about why i choose to shoot traditional.  And my answer always goes something like "its what I like and it is fun to me but you do what you want".  I mean I think its safe to say that most of us like or love to hunt but ultimately it is a hobby and our future or the future of our families or their next meal don't truly depend on it.  And I can guarantee that if my life or family was depending on it I would dust off the old bolt action.  Makes me think of the old saying,  Necessity is the mother of invention.

Just my two cents which might be worth two bits.

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2017, 01:43:00 PM »
Personally don't care if you like the figures, nor do I personally give a hoot if someone hunts with anything out there. It's about choice. It's about what you personally choose to harvest game with. The holier than thou attitude isn't coming from me. Still rifle hunt, even a suppressed rifle at that.

Maybe I didn't put it right earlier. I'm not a either/or guy, I'm an all the above guy. Use a compound if you choose, xbow if that's your ticket. If using a self bow you built yourself with arrows you harvest from the creek bank, more power to you!

But we as hunters have to stick together no matter what we choose to hunt with.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©