3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Tip as Draw Check?  (Read 637 times)

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Tip as Draw Check?
« on: January 24, 2017, 04:03:00 PM »
I'm playing around with my selfbows again (rain subsided).  I tried using my index knuckle against the shaft as a draw check.  When I felt the metal on the back of the tip touch my knuckle I released.  My groups tightened substantially and I even busted a nock (saw the dent on the back of the taper, too).  Why is this not discussed as one possible "psycho trigger?"  Is this a safety issue to worry about with split shafts?  What am I missing?
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Tip as Draw Check?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »
It's one method some like to use with broad heads, not sure if it goes the same for field points. I liked the idea for BH's, but found it was distracting to feel the back of the head. I imagine it works better with a "touch and release" sort of style - I usually hold for a second or three at anchor.
Seems like another example of if it works for you, then it works!

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 05:42:00 PM »
My most accurate hunting arrows are net length blunts. I can feel the lead edge of the blunt on my index finger.  This system of course would not be any advantage to those who shoot bows that does not allow the arrow contact with the index finger.   For me it works like a clicker, when I shoot arrows that too long to do this , my draw length control begins to suffer.  I make one set of net length target arrows every year.  In the fall the target points come off and the blunts go on.  I am always surprised how sweet net length cedar and fir arrows fly  out of longbow.

Offline M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 07:48:00 PM »
Howard Hill mentions the back of the broadheads touching his hand before releasing. I often thought that was a reason his blunts and field arrows were shorter, he used the back of the point as a reference. Watching and listening to Schulz shoot you realize Hill had at least two references to let him know he was at full draw. Works well with that style bow.

Offline lefty4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
Arrows would have to all be the same length to BOP.

What changes when you wear a glove?

With a broadhead, I always worried about the possibility of pulling the arrow nock off the string if I drew to far back in the moment of excitement.
I had a really good group going... until I shot the second arrow.

My best bows are the ones someone else didn't want.

"Be careful of something that's just what you want it to be."  Waylon Jennings

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 12:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by M60gunner:
Watching and listening to Schulz shoot you realize Hill had at least two references to let him know he was at full draw. Works well with that style bow.
What was the second reference point?
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 02:05:00 PM »
one thing I did to help learn full extension on every shot was I cut my arrows only 1/8"past my riser. So I draw and with my secondary vision keep an eye on my arrow coming all the way back. Not on every shot but just every few. It actually taught me to know what full draw really meant and now I've done it so much I don't even think about it when I shoot. Amazing what the subconscious an learn.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
Good way to pull an arrow off the string if you ask me
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 09:04:00 PM »
The only problem with it is when using a head that's sharpened on the back side. I've nicked fingers, cut an edge of the plastic clip on my hip quiver, and even cut a string in half with my ABS Massai heads.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 09:24:00 PM »
It must work. I believe Fred Bear shot that way.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©