3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Metal Riser??  (Read 290 times)

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
A Metal Riser??
« on: January 26, 2017, 07:18:00 AM »
For years, I've not taken too much of an interest in bows with metal riser bows.  Honestly, I hadn't really ever shot one.  Recently, however, a low, low price on a new Hoyt Buffalo got the better of me.  Well, when it arrived, I discovered it still looked and felt like a recurve.  The only downside I can see is how cold the grip gets.  No matter, this bow has a bright future in indoor target archery. The tuning capacity is unreal.  In 10 minutes I had bare shafts flying great and grouping at 20 yards. It is 62", 45@28" with black limbs and silver riser.  Shame on me for not trying one sooner.      :archer:
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Metal Riser??
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 12:03:00 PM »
Wrap the grip in tennis racket tape from Walmart.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 12:17:00 PM »
I was in the same boat as you up until recently. I visited with Bob Morrison and he had me talked into a 15" ilf riser. I love the fact that I can change the grip to whatever I want it to be or like reddogge said you can shoot it with grip tape and be set. They may not be the prettiest bows but can be very effective, no nonsense hunting tools.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 12:34:00 PM »
Watch out! That thing is probably not very "traditional", according to some around here!    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:  

Congrats on your new bow!

Bisch

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 12:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
Wrap the grip in tennis racket tape from Walmart.
This, or, I have used a product called Rhino grip tape which is what you might wrap the handle of a wooden baseball bat.  The grip shapes are limitless due to how you form it and is up to you.  Many other good options are out there.

Offline Sota

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 01:23:00 PM »
I enjoy the weight in the riser of my metal recurve and the tunability is great.  I've also bought several different grips and will change them on occasion.  It certainly does get cold in the late season.  As far as how traditional it is all you have to do is buy more bows to offset the "traditionality" of your collection

Offline Sota

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 01:23:00 PM »
I enjoy the weight in the riser of my metal recurve and the tunability is great.  I've also bought several different grips and will change them on occasion.  It certainly does get cold in the late season.  As far as how traditional it is all you have to do is buy more bows to offset the "traditionality" of your collection

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »
Those are fast bows. I like the metal risers. I want. I get a predator velocity. Shot one last year at the show so this year it's going down. Ill probably get funny looks at Compton in June but oh well. A nice bow is a nice bow. I did shoot that prototype  DAS last year at the show. It wasn't for me at all.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 02:47:00 PM »
You can also order a full wooden grip from Hoyt to cover most of the metal in the grip area. I made do with tennis racket tape to reshape the grip area plus insulate the metal in cold weather.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »
I have talked to many people who really like the performance they get from these bows. However, they just don't appeal to me aesthetically.
Sam

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »
I got started on an old bear minute man I found, it had a green metal riser of some sort, I think aluminum, and white 45# limbs.    I really liked that bow, it was a 3 pieces but it didnt have all the bulk or blockiness that many 3 piece recurves do.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 04:07:00 PM »
Those "Hunger Games" Buffaloes should be real reasonable about now.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 10:04:00 PM »
The cold riser wouldn't be an issue, since I shoot a lot of NFAA indoor (and the occational indoor 3d when available).  I'll shoot summer outdoor 3d's with this bow too, and just for fun when its nice out too.  

This bow might not be too traditional, but the truck I drive to the range in is even less so. Even with a 6" stabilizer screwed in, I still fall within NFAA traditional class rules.  Good enough for me.  

The range of tuning in this bow is fantastic.  I like to tinker with things and my Buffalo provides excellent fodder, plus it seems to be a real shooter.    

I was unaware of the hunger games, but I'll look into it.  If they picked this bow for the show, than I'm sure they're on to something.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©