3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: You like hog hunting?  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: You like hog hunting?
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2017, 10:31:00 AM »
Anyone who has been hog hunting loves hog hunting ....great thread
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2017, 10:42:00 AM »
I wish I had the time to get down there again this year!!  I had a ton of fun two years ago!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2017, 03:49:00 PM »
Looks like a great time!!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
Excuse me...anyone who has been hog hunting and don't' like it has a serious problem.    :biglaugh:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BILL LEU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2017, 07:01:00 PM »
Couldn't agree with ya more Mr. Terry, and the ones who never have gone ya don't know what your missing.

I'll be taking my daughter hog hunting first week of March can't wait this will be her second time, last spring break she got her first bow kill ever- hog hunting, old 45lb Browning w/ cedar arrow wensel three blade hog only went 50 yards, loved it.
"Bow hunting already has its hero's, its our endeavor to keep the fire burning"- WTL

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2017, 07:03:00 PM »
:clapper:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »
Just returned from hosting the week-long PBS membership hog hunt in coastal Georgia.  You could say that it was successful, in more ways than one.  I will only post pics of my hogs - hopefully the other successful TradGangers will post pics of their hogs...

Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »

Double team with Bill Dunn

four of us dragging a big one

Jeff Walton with his first
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 04:30:00 PM »
One day the gang could hear some hogs fighting on a nearby island for hours, so I suspected that there was a sow in heat there with boars fighting over her.  I was correct - one Tradganger got after them early in the afternoon and I got on their trail towards the end of the day.  It was tricky because it was a part of the island I didn't know and the tide was going out, so I was worried about getting my boat stranded.  I followed the sounds of grunting, fighting and squealing for an hour before I caught them in the open.  I spotted them right as the sun set and immediately decided that the three boars were too big to handle by myself, now 1/2 mile from the boat.  The boars were jumbos all around 300 pounds.  As I watched them and the hot sow, I noticed a much smaller pig feeding my way and estimated it at around 50 pounds - perfect to shoot and carry over my shoulder back to the boat.  I drew and shot, and was surprised when I found him - it was a 125 lb boar!  My first case of reverse ground shrinkage, and at just the wrong time.  I had to quickly quarter him, get the game bags into my pack and find my boat before dark.  The boat was half out of the water by then, but I was able to get it floating again and run back to camp as the daylight faded.  He looked small compared to the three jumbos!

Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »
OK I lied, here's another Tranganger and his "camp hog"; recognize him?

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2017, 06:50:00 PM »
Is there a fee for the hunts? Or, just have to be a member?
Great pics.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2017, 07:01:00 PM »
You just have to be a member and buy the proper license for this one. They are several PBS hunt all over the country.

I will let Jeff Holchin chime in on this one.

There is much information to be gained by being a member. I am hunting moose in AK with another PBS member this fall and several PBS 'ers have helped us along the way.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2017, 08:50:00 PM »
Tim is correct, no additional fees for any PBS member hunts, you just have to be a member and pay attention when the hunts are announced.  There are limited spots and they go fast sometimes.  For this particular hunt, it costs about $100 in licenses for a 3-day hunt plus your transportation cost to Savannah.  A boat is required to hunt these islands, so you either have to own a boat or team up with a PBSer with a boat.  The connections you can make in the PBS coulkd result in numerous hunt opportunities - all of my bowhunts this year will be because of my PBS connections.  If you count Javalina as a hog, there have already been five PBS member hunts so far this year (in AZ, TX, SC and GA), and there will be numerous member hunts this spring, summer and fall for animals all over the country.

This was a last-hour pig for me - on the final day I dropped off some hunters and went back to a spot that another member had checked earlier in the day.  I spotted some fresh pig tracks that came out of the needle grass, then went back in, on a trail that was decent.  I slowly followed the tracks and happened to hear some hogs feeding ahead.  I slowly worked into my comfortable shooting range (5 yards) and made a good shot.  As my pig died, I could have shot another one that was the same size, but knew that I would have my hands full with this one.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2017, 07:34:00 AM »
These links are the video's Tracy did of the second hog. There is 3 of them because they are short cell phone video's. I'm always amazed at the quality of video a phone will take.

www.facebook.com/grizzlybroadheads/videos/pcb.873582799450034/873448616130119/?type=3&theater

www.facebook.com/grizzlybroadheads/videos/pcb.873582799450034/873448742796773/?type=3&theater

www.facebook.com/grizzlybroadheads/videos/pcb.873582799450034/873448659463448/?type=3&theater

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2017, 09:17:00 AM »
That looked like an awesome hunt! What was your setup on the hunt Bill?
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
Wow, cool pics!  That looks like lots of fun!
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2017, 10:28:00 AM »
Correction: six PBS membership hog hunts so far this year, counting the one going on right now at the Spikebox ranch in TX

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Buckeye1977:
That looked like an awesome hunt! What was your setup on the hunt Bill?
56"48#@28" The bow has a prototype riser with Z4 limbs. Arrows were carbon 600 grains. Some had Grizzly's(single bevel) others had Bruin (our new double bevel). I even had an Instinct (our 3 blade) in there!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2017, 12:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jeff D. Holchin:
Correction: six PBS membership hog hunts so far this year, counting the one going on right now at the Spikebox ranch in TX
Does that include the Hog hunt that was at the Spike Box the week before this one?

The PBSers are passionate about hunting.   :bigsmyl:
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2017, 02:13:00 PM »
Bill, looked like you had complete pass through? I'm curious because I'm gonna hunt some hogs for first time next year and have a similar setup but only draw 26.5". Also my arrows now are about 500 grains with 3 blade vpa but I'm looking to bump up weight and maybe switch to a two blade.
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©