3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: You like hog hunting?  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: You like hog hunting?
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2017, 08:11:00 AM »
Bill, I notice that you are taking your pig spotter with you; good move!  That means you will probably get something now.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2017, 12:43:00 PM »
I did some more field testing of the 200 grain Bruins with 75 grain inserts last week.  This hog only went 6" after impact.

This one made it about 10-15 yards but bled profusely and was dead on its feet...

It was a brief but productive hunt.  I am sold on these Grizzly Bruins!  Hoping to use them on turkey, deer, bear, elk and moose this year if my plans come together.

Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2017, 04:25:00 PM »
and though Jeff wont do it...I will for him.  He is one of the hardest working and most committed free hunt organizers around...he goes above and beyond in helping this become a successful hunt no matter your definition of that result.

I have been three times and missed two times and have loved it every time.  It is by no means your normal pig hunt.  The terrain is challenging to say the least with the tall grass, wind and pluff mud and marsh mix.  Hip boots, weather for any climate, and a good sense of direction is paramont but recommend you use a compass or at least GPS to keep bearings.  Spot and stalking wild hots is very rewarding even if no shots fired.
Here is my last pig...old boar...and again Jeff was there to help recover and drag the thing out which is no small feet in that mud alone.  

Thanks for all the hard work and dedication Jeff.

Jeff dropping me off to hunt an island alone

Taking final shot at less than 6 feet

Checking the hog after the shot

after the shot

a muddy mess is common for these hunts

business end

field dressed and washed off at camp

he was turned into bratwurst and sweet italian sausage...here is the head.

best part...eating and telling stories around a warm fire.

Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©