3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Texas Javelina  (Read 755 times)

Offline MontanaHound

• Trad Bowhunter
Texas Javelina
« on: January 26, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »
Does anyone have a good lead for Javelina hunting in Texas? My father went recently and got shystered by a poorly run outfitter on a paid trespass property.
You have one life to live, live it!!!

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Texas Javelina
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 12:45:00 AM »
Take a look at Lincoln Ranch - LincolnRanch.com

I have not, as of yet, hunted at Lincoln Ranch.  I know a few guys who hunted there last year and they have good things to say about the ranch and the accommodations.  

I will be hunting there in March with this group and my hopes are high that there will be ample shot opportunities.  

Andrew

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 12:04:00 PM »
Javelinas are a lot of fun to hunt stalking them as they eat corn spread down the roads is the most common way to hunt in Texas setting up an ambush along the road is more successful. My friends go to the Lincoln ranch and they have shot javies you need to be south of San Antonio most of the javelinas are in south Texas . I was on a ranch by Laredo once and they were just thick there, the ranch I hunt for hogs is by Uvalde and I had not seen many javies before last year and they were everywhere, we could have shot limits easy. Whoever you go with you need to be in south Texas.

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 01:58:00 AM »
You might check into First Point bow hunting between Uvalde and Eagle Pass. They are primarily a deer hunting ranch, but do have a lot of javelinas. If you message them they may help you out. I've heard good things about the Lincoln Ranch also but never hunted there.

Offline hunterjrg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 04:05:00 PM »
I'm also looking at a hunt in TX this March with my brother. We are going to celebrate his Sargant Major promotion. I'll be watching this thread.

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 06:48:00 PM »
Super interested too! All I've ever heard of is the Lincoln ranch. I've always wanted to take a javelina! Anyone have any experience somewhere else? What about bad experiences? What was the name of the paid trespass place so we know to stay away?

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 08:25:00 PM »
I have several family groups of javelinas that live in this area around the McDonald Observatory...some mornings almost have to kick them off my porch...

LOTS of them around here in the Davis Mtns and the Big Bend area of far West Tx...

Lot's of ranches around here would probably allow paid hunters to come out...
In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
I posted a thread about javis on another forum. Lots of replies said the Lincoln ranch was an awesome place with great facilities but low numbers on javis.  I have no idea just thought id pass that on.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 08:51:00 AM »
I was thinking that the Lincoln ranch was a little too far east. My dad leases some property between Rock Springs and Del Rio and in the past 10yrs there's only been 2 yrs with javelina. Of course about 3 yrs ago pigs started creeping in don't know if pigs and javis get along very well.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 02:13:00 PM »
Mahasaka Custom Bows offers hunts near El Paso which have had several stories told about in Traditional Bowhunter.  I don't have first hand knowledge about this hunt, but it is on my to-do list.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
Kent Olstrum ( owner of Mahasaka bows) no longer has that lease and no longer offers Javi hunts. I spoke with him a few weeks ago.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline DoubleB20

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 01:10:00 PM »
Check out this guy. Mike is a good dude and if you want you can add an Aoudad too.

www.westtexashunt.com

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 11:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by DoubleB20:
Check out this guy. Mike is a good dude and if you want you can add an Aoudad too.

www.westtexashunt.com  
Thanks for posting this.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 07:51:00 AM »
That's a very useful post (westtexashunt) ...lots of choices and a lot less expensive than I would have thought.

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 10:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by DoubleB20:

www.westtexashunt.com  
Awesome!!! Now I have someone to call!! Great link for this area!!
In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
Check out Brush Country Bowhunting in Freer, Texas. About 2 hours south of San Antone...and lots of Javis....killed a nice boar there myself back in November.

Smitty is a very good friend of mine and runs a really nice camp.

Offline MontanaHound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 10:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the imput.  I've been looking at the Lincoln Ranch. Also with some web searching I found the Brushy Hills Ranch. Has anyone hunted here, it doesn't have javelin but has hogs
You have one life to live, live it!!!

Offline hunterjrg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by BAPilot2:
Take a look at Lincoln Ranch - LincolnRanch.com

I have not, as of yet, hunted at Lincoln Ranch.  I know a few guys who hunted there last year and they have good things to say about the ranch and the accommodations.  

I will be hunting there in March with this group and my hopes are high that there will be ample shot opportunities.  

Andrew
My brother and are also looking at March. Please let me know what you think. We are looking at the middle of March for our hunt

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 03:23:00 PM »
Any pics of javalenia mounts? I'm flying down this afternoon to try and get them and some pigs
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline hunterjrg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 08:02:00 AM »
We have our hunt booked with Lincoln ranch now. Looking forward to this

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©