3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dogs at the TN. Classic  (Read 1112 times)

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
Dogs at the TN. Classic
« on: January 27, 2017, 04:04:00 AM »
I Know this upsets some up but last year it worked out pretty well with the new Dog/pet policy so we plan on trying it again this year. No dogs on the range/vending areas/concessions or gathering areas. Pets only in camp on a leash , if they have a barking problem then that will have to be addressed also. I know some don't like this but dogs and crowds just don't mix and although I love mine I leave them at home when I go to events like this. So you be the judge but I want you to know up front this will be enforced. After 2 biting's and other nasty issues around the walking areas / Concession area and vendors we have had enough. Thanks for your help and hopefully understanding on this issue. Please help me spread the word on this. Please feel free to post this on any other related web sites you may go on, it will be much appreciated. Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule
Home of the Tennessee Classic

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dogs at the TN. Classic
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »
:clapper:
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 11:18:00 AM »
TTT
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 12:19:00 PM »
While this announcement has nothing to do with me, I appreciate seeing it anyway.  I went to a tournament I usually attend last year where I had always brought my dog with no problem, but they instituted a rule similar to yours without telling anyone in advance about it or mentioning the change in the flyer.  Fortunately, it was cool enough that I could leave my dog in the trailer while I was shooting, but if it had been too hot to do that, I would have had no choice other than to pack up and go home.  I recognize the right of tournament organizers to set whatever rules they want, and of course, the right of the particants to decide whether to attend, but it is nice to know what the rules are in advance, particularly when they change.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 03:46:00 PM »
Pappy has been considering this for a few years now. When you have 600 to 700 folks camping and shooting at these events and lots of kids running around it can be hard to control animals. It only takes one dog bite to ruin it for the others attending.
 I love my dogs but they stay home when I go to any archery shoots or other activities where lots of folks attend and it's not fair to the dog to keep it locked up or chained up at an event like this.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BigStriper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 04:22:00 PM »
Pappy has a nice place and a Great shoot, I hope the Dog situation works out well with everyone, then we can all have Fun.

Kurt

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 04:05:00 AM »
Thanks for the support guys, it was not an easy decision for me to make , but just had to do something.
 Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 03:34:00 AM »
TTT
Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 08:06:00 AM »
I think others should follow as our camping area at one of the local events is plagued with barking dogs. Haven't had any biting issues that I know of but there is always a first. I would rather have them on leash than stuck in a trailer barking all day long. We moved down the road for this reason.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline 96ssportsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 09:00:00 AM »
I always take my dogs. If this were instilled at any of my local shoots I would not attend.
However....I have a tie out chain to keep them under control and "no bark" collars. It is my responsibility to pick up after them. I don't understand the mentality that it is unfair to keep them tied out. To each their own. Good luck with your new rules. Truly understand why you implement them. Lots of irresponsible pet owners.
Scott.
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ & the American Soldier. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom

Raptor Sig LB- 64 55 @ 32

Raptor Sig LB- 62 45 @ 32

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 04:17:00 PM »
TTT
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 03:44:00 AM »
That is the problem Scott, if all the owners took care of their dogs like you there would be no problem , but the don't.
 pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 01:18:00 PM »
It would seem to me that a fairer way to handle it would be to notify all participants that they would be asked to immediately leave if their dogs were off leash or causing other problems such as barking while unattended.  However, I understand that people would complain and might get argumentative if you enforce those rules, which would be an additional hassle for you that you would just as soon not have to deal with. I can't blame you, as I am not a very confrontational guy myself, and wouldn't like to put myself in a position of having to enforce rules people are likely to object to.  

However, my dog has always been along whenever I go shooting, and like Scott, I would be unlikely to attend events where she was not allowed.  She is trained to stay by my side, with or without a leash, but having to keep her on a leash would be a reasonable compromise to leaving her at home.  She doesn't mind; when it's time for me to shoot I just drop the leash and she just stays there anyway.

However, as I said before, it's your tournament and you have a right to set the rules, which don't necessarily have to please me, especially since I couldn't attend it anyway.  I do appreciate that you're trying to get the word around in advance, so people are not caught showing up and then having to go home because they have no provision for taking care of their dog while they are shooting.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
We have had the same rules at the Compton shoot in Michigan for a few years now, but some folks still don't get it.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 10:45:00 PM »
Good job Pappy.  A lot of folks think of their dogs as if they were kids, and along that line think "my dog would NEVER do that!".  Problem is, just like with kids, sometimes they will shock and surprise you...then it's too late.  And some just don't care that you stepped in their poop or the dog snapped at your child.

Huge liability risk for the club, for what?  I love dogs as much as anyone (just ask the 4 we have...all rescues, plus many others over the years), but there's a time and a place for everything.  

I don't think Pappy's dogs would bite anything other than a buttered biscuit, but he puts them up anyway.  He's not asking anyone to do something he isn't doing himself.      :thumbsup:

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 03:47:00 AM »
Thanks Chad, and McDave the one biting and the 2 dog fights we had 2 years ago , the dogs were on a leash with the owner holding on to it, so dogs walking around in a crowd just don't work no matter how well behaved your dog may seem to be.
Believe me I hate doing this but it just has to be done. Thanks for all that support this and for the ones that don't I am really sorry and will miss having you there.
 Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 05:04:00 AM »
I fully understand your decision, Pappy. And as a dog owner, I completely understand and agree with your decision.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 09:40:00 AM »
TTT
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »
I understand the decision, and can't really disagree with it. There are a couple of shoots I attend where some attendees have been bringing their well behaved dogs for a long time. I enjoy seeing the dogs as well as their owners. Unfortunately, there is still the possibility of problems.
Sam

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 11:39:00 PM »
ttt
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©