3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: amateur review of a Big Jim Thunderchild (with pics).  (Read 7447 times)

Offline jeffroa2001

• Trad Bowhunter
amateur review of a Big Jim Thunderchild (with pics).
« on: January 28, 2017, 05:07:00 PM »
Hello all,

I wanted to get to know my new "Thunderchild" before I posted a review of it. I am pretty amateur, but maybe someone will get some valuable insight.

Before I give my opinion, here are the specs:

58" Thunderchild (Take Down)
50#@28"
Riser Woods: Buckeye & Gaboon (footed riser)
Limb Woods: Buckeye
Tips: Buckeye
Grip: Medium size with locator

So I will start with what I feel is the most important, and that is customer service. Jim and his staff are beyond polite and cordial, every time you speak with either him or his staff they treat you as if you are an esteemed member of society. In addition to the aforementioned, Jim will give you all of the time you need when considering the specifics of your bow build. I was a bit indecisive with grip, woods, and what not, but Jim never made me feel pressured to end the conversation or as if he was pressed for time. When he did call me to get the details for the build, I had all the time I needed and he answered all the questions that I could possibly have. Finally, me being human, I changed my mind a few times through out the build, and at no time did Jim give me the impression that he was annoyed with me.

Now for the bow itself (and where my immaturity as a traditional archer will probably be highlighted). The aesthetics of this bow are just beyond words. Granted, all of this is subjective, but I have never seen a more exotic looking bow. The shape itself is pretty unique in the reflex/deflex world of bows, but the woods and how Jim put them together are nothing short of a work of art. The ergonomics on this bow make it feel as if it is an extension of your body when you hold and shoot it. There have been bows that I have shot/handled that just felt so far from me (if that makes any sense), but not this one. It could be the grip, the mass, the looks, or just a placebo effect of the customization. Who knows...

When shooting the bow, I would say this is one of the quietest bows I have heard. I have no idea what makes a bow so quiet, I am sure it is an accumulation of things such as brace height, string material, and so on. The most important aspect of shooting this bow for me though is how it handles my draw length. I have a 32" draw, and this short longbow doesn't give me any grief for it. There is zero stack and zero pinch all the way through my draw. This is a big deal for me, it seems as if the world of all archery is built around a 27-28" draw. So being able to get into a short bow like this that truly can handle longer draws is a great thing. There are a couple other bowyers that can make it happen in the shorter lengths for me, but I will save those for future reviews.

Finally I will touch on the "hand shock". This a pretty light bow, and I am surprised at how little vibration it has. I would say that the vibration is negligible, and I can shoot comfortably all day. I think the bow-bolt system absorbs more of the vibration from the mass as opposed to the sleeve system, both are great take-down systems in their own right. I would purchase a sleeve system again though, especially from Jim. I know it is not really relevant, but unstrung, the sleeve is still very tight. Maybe it is just a piece of mind or an indicator of excellent craftsmanship, regardless, I appreciate how it feels.

In closing, I would highly recommend Big Jim's Bows and the "Thunderchild", especially if you are a longer draw archer and are seeking a shorter bow. Feel confident in purchasing this bow from this company.

"Don't discuss yourself, for you are bound to lose; if you belittle yourself, you are believed; if you praise yourself, you are disbelieved."- Michel de Montaigne

Offline jeffroa2001

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: amateur review of a Big Jim Thunderchild (with pics).
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 05:09:00 PM »

"Don't discuss yourself, for you are bound to lose; if you belittle yourself, you are believed; if you praise yourself, you are disbelieved."- Michel de Montaigne

Offline jeffroa2001

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 05:10:00 PM »
sorry, double posted some pictures.

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 05:13:00 PM »
Jim makes a killer bow, for sure!

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 05:20:00 PM »
my goodness that buckeye is striking wood.  very cool bow, I can never decide if I would want a thunderchild or a buffalo.  Thanks for sharing and for the review.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 05:23:00 PM »
Great day what a functional work of art! That bow is killer, congrats
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 05:30:00 PM »
WOW
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Online Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 05:30:00 PM »
Just WOW.  What a unique, beautiful bow.  Congratulations!

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 05:32:00 PM »
Good review! And Holy Buckets!! What a beautiful Bow!!

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 05:46:00 PM »
Jeffery..excellent looking bow!!!
What spine arrow are you shooting & what brand are you shooting?
Pretty bow!
Thanks

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 05:46:00 PM »
Great review J. I'm just as happy with my TC. You're spot on re: Jim's customer service.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 05:47:00 PM »
What arrow is that? You say you have a 32" draw but there is 3-4" arrow overhang. Wondering what shafts are 35-36" long?
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »
That is simply stunning.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 06:08:00 PM »
Great looking bow!

Big Jim is a prince of fellow and a talented bowyer

Offline jeffroa2001

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »
Thanks all!

For those that asked, those arrows are Black Eagle Arrows "Vintage" shaft, 34", and 400 spine. Admittedly I am posing for that picture when we were out stump shooting. Those 34" shafts keep me from hitting my shelf as I pull through the shot. For awhile I was using Easton Axis uncut, but my broadheads would ride on top of my shelf and scratch it. If anyone is interested, Black Eagle now has the "Instinct" arrow which is a 34" micro diameter.

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 06:42:00 PM »
Wow...that's gorgeous!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline flyflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 06:58:00 PM »
WOW! Just WOW! That is an amazing looking stick! Enjoy it.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
Great looking bow. Enjoy!
USMC 82-86

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 07:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by jeffroa2001:
Thanks all!

For those that asked, those arrows are Black Eagle Arrows "Vintage" shaft, 34", and 400 spine. Admittedly I am posing for that picture when we were out stump shooting. Those 34" shafts keep me from hitting my shelf as I pull through the shot. For awhile I was using Easton Axis uncut, but my broadheads would ride on top of my shelf and scratch it. If anyone is interested, Black Eagle now has the "Instinct" arrow which is a 34" micro diameter.
That explains the arrows !  

Love buckeye burl, awesome bow.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 07:25:00 PM »
Sweet looking stick!  They make a great hunting bow.  Big Jim just keeps on making them more beautiful.  I am sure you are going to have great success with it.

I gotta be honest though, it looks like you are overdrawn already, with your head turned and elbow past parallel with the arrow.  With that much hanging off with a 34" shaft, I think you may end up with a little under a 30" draw.  JMHO.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©