3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: first longbow?  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Mark Colangelo

• Trad Bowhunter
first longbow?
« on: January 31, 2017, 10:34:00 PM »
so I am already fiending for a longbow to join my recurve. I am going to wait, and get the one I want. I am looking at Black Widows right now, but am up for other options. And was also was looking for maybe some deals for lefties on in-stock bows to help me convince my wife    :)    lol! I really like the look of Blacktails but i think my limit is around 1200 and half that would be even better. Maybe I'll just get a Howard Hill to go with my Fred Bear and call it good?!
Mark C.

Javaman Elkheart, Bear Super Kodiak
BHA NWTF DU RMEF TRCP
Oregon State BS Fisheries & Wildlife
Society for Conservation Biology  
TSgt, USAF Active Duty

Re: first longbow?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 10:59:00 PM »
You might want to look at Sarrels Archery. Bob makes some great longbows, both one peice, and takedown. I used to buy and trade bows a lot, but since getting my first Sarrels Blueridge takedown longbow in 2009, I have wanted no other!

Bisch

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 11:59:00 PM »
With that kinda cash you could get a a nice robertson stykbow

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 07:28:00 AM »
I started on this trad journey with a HH  longbow kit that a friend finished for me. Didn't know what hand shock was until I shot other longbows and as a result quickly jettisoned the HH. Not my style of longbow although I know others love them. To each his own.
I'm currently shooting a Centaur and they are amazing. Just the base model but am extremely happy with it. Sooooo smooth. I highly recommend it. Not cheap though.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 08:32:00 AM »
I prefer ASL bows from HHA, NM and such makers. They have that classic look, but also perform very well. Besides, if you find that the longbow is not for you, resale is not difficult.
Sam

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 10:59:00 AM »
you will like the black widow, they do have a test drive program, just give em a call and see what they have in your weight, with that said, there are a heck of a lot of fine longbows out there.. I do prefer my PLV TD widow over any others I have tried,  mainly due to the dead in hand feel and the mass weight compared to a lot of other ones I have tried..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 12:12:00 PM »
I would also like to try a Widow 1-piece, but have the same cash restraints.

Take a look at Mohawk Bow's Sparrow Hawk. I owned a right-hander which I sold when I switched to LH. Just got a new Sparrow Hawk LH and love it. 66", locator grip, 42@28. It is mildly reflex, but strings up as a "D" type bow and is a dream to shoot. Maybe it's just the "new bow" syndrome, but I shoot it more accurately than any other bow I own.

Vince is very fast on delivery time and priced at half of what you mentioned.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »
Take a look at Kim Sha bows by Tom Parsons. I think he might have in stock lefties at a discount. His skill as a bowyer is exceptional. I've tried many longbows, but his bows have always exceeded my expectations.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 02:36:00 PM »
I can do two for that money.   :)
High on Archery.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 03:54:00 PM »
Yeah man if I had 1200 I'd buy 2 custom longbows.but if I only had to get 1 it would be a northern mist. So man good bows out there.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »
Toelke whip, whip classic or Super D. I also second the Northern mist Baraga.
Other great choices ive considered....Big Jim bows, Javaman, and Caribow are all top notch and excellent.

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 04:19:00 PM »
If youre a leftie, look in the classifieds here at the Kimsha LH longbow, its discounted.  He has a bunch in stock as well in LH, also discounted for some.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=48;t=002853

This thread has a bunch of his LH bows pictured:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=153120
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 04:22:00 PM »
Rock n Bow beat me to it.  

Tom is a bit computer unfriendly, but if you want pictures of his bows, let him know and I can talk it through with him on the phone and get some pics emailed to you.

As Rock n Bow says, Tom's bows are real shooters.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 09:19:00 PM »
We have a big selection of longbows and we do make them left-handed upon request. Click link below to see some samples. Good luck to you.
 http://legendsbows.com/

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 11:53:00 PM »
A Dark Matter Centaur is personally wonderful.

The DM permits 1/8 past center shelf and approximately 5 1/2 Oz increase in physical wt for noticeably increased stability. Switching back and forth between recurve to Centaur has required no personal adjustment period.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 12:43:00 AM »
Find a Horne Brushbow. They're going use for 300 to 400. I love the riser on the t/d Blacktail longbow, because my hand fits in like a glove. I got to check out a riser at Norm's shop.

I shot a Toelke whip that was nice and had a Maddog mutt that was a bit heavy for me but my friend loves his Mutt.

Good luck. If I had 1200, I'd go with the Blacktail, but I'm partial.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 01:30:00 AM »
Just as there is a good chance the Super Kodiak will not be the only recurve you ever own it is unlikely you will just own one longbow. And once you try a static tip you will want one of them as well. After owning well over 60 bows I would happily keep one of each. My total investment in all 3 could be that same 1200 dollars you speak of. And 800 of that would be for the Cari-bow static tip I bought new. I have already decided I will hunt big game in 2017 with a pair of 52 inch recurves that cost a total of 475 dollars.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 01:50:00 AM »
You could buy 3 or 4 quality used longbows for 1200$.You could probably recoup most of your investment if you sold them.Its a good way to try different styles of longbows,different lengths, different shooting qualities,different grips etc.

Thiers plenty for sale here on T-gang Classifieds and other sites.Just need to find the right poundages in some brands your interested in.Be patient and things will pop up that you can pull the trigger on.Thiers lots of quality longbows out thier.More than ever before.

You might start with bows that have pistol grips or locator grips since your used to recurves.The transition might be easier.Then move on to other choices.You might end up with broomstick handle and a straight limb eventually.Who knows.Its a fun ride

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 11:13:00 PM »
I recently bought one of the new blacktail 3 piece longbows. Great shooting bow. My other longbow is a pronghorn. Both these bows are 62" and 52@28". I really like both of them and would recommend either. The grip on the blacktail might be easier to adjust to if coming from recurves. My pronghorn has a modified grip and also shoots like a dream though
Levi Bedortha

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »
Look on Facebook and search Black Widow longbow. There is a nice LH for sale there right now - or was last night.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©