3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What Kind of Hat Do You Favor....or Wear.??  (Read 922 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
What Kind of Hat Do You Favor....or Wear.??
« on: October 30, 2007, 12:07:00 AM »
Hey all,

I have been nosing around for a new hat to wear.  I usually wear a good ball cap EVERY DAY, but when I go to shoot my bow the bill gets in the way and I have to toss it aside or go ghetto and turn it around and wear it backwards.  So I thought I would start looking around for a new hat to wear.

I looked at my Cabelas catalog and they have a really nice Stetson hat but I can't pay $85 for a hat.  One hat that I would like to find is a JONES CAP.  Cabelas has 2 but they are in camo patterns and I would like to have one that was in an everyday color.  Anyone know where I can get a Jones Cap from?

Also keep in mind that I would like to be able to wear this hat for more than just shooting my bow or target practicing at my shooting range.  I don't want a hat that looks goofy if I have to stop off at Wally World on the way home.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Nala

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What Kind of Hat Do You Favor....or Wear.??
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »
I use an Effanem crusher. I think it cost me a whole 12 bucks. Maybe one of the guys from Washington can hook you up!

Offline mountaindog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 12:37:00 AM »
i'm a fan of the wool fedora's... i have a small collection going.... if it's not a fedora it's a ball cap...

mike

>>>>---LIFE IS A KNIFE---->   (X)

mike

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 12:58:00 AM »
Im also a fan of the Fedoras, but if you want something that isent to spendy, and wont make you fell uncomfortable, check out the Stormy Kromer short brim. Its made with bow hunters in mind with the shorter brim, and has a ball cap apperance. I wear mine most of the time when Im out and about, and dont get any dirty looks cause of it. I got mine at my local Sportsmans warehouse, so I had a chance to try them one. By far one of the most comfortable hats I ever worn. Im looking to get another in a different pattern ASAP.

http://www.stormykromer.com/product/caps.asp?type=short
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 01:03:00 AM »
I use a boonie. I love it, when it gets dirty i just through it in the wash.

TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 06:31:00 AM »
I like a boonie also. Mine has camo on one side and blaze orange on the other.  Or sometimes I will just wear a camo doo rag.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 07:07:00 AM »
I use a knit or wool watch cap. No brim.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 07:22:00 AM »
For 3D I wear the one in my avatar (a soft , short brim Safari folder), For hunting I have a much softer, and smaller-brimed version of a boonie that is made of camo material over net (keeps bugs out and is cooling), with 3D leaf cuts in the camo (so it looks leafy like my 3D Leaf Bug Tamer jacket and pants). I got the hat from WallyWorld some years back. When it gets cold I just put a watch cap on under it (like Ferret does - can't beat em for warmth - especially on the back of the neck).
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »
My favorite is a Grey Wolf (sponsor) crusher style hat made from the wolfskin material.  It has a brim all the way around, is fairly waterproof, totally quiet, and folds up in my pocket.  It's a great hat!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 07:51:00 AM »
Watch cap or doo-rag when shooting
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline nel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
A tuque.

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
I shave my head so I generally favor a skull cap.  My favorite I got at Walmart so go check out the mens section next time you are there.  It is a Guinness beer cap, mostly brown with black plaid and the Guinness logo.  Here is a picture of it but don't buy it here, it was only like $8 at walmart  http://www.guinnesswebstore.com/product_detail.asp?HDR=apparel&CAT=appheadknit&T1=GUI+5621GNS

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »
I'm with you Nala, Just don't think anybody makes a good Jones style hat anymore. I've been looking forever, it seems like. Finally had to settle for a boonie style.

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 12:10:00 PM »
Ball cap turned backards!

Offline Richard in OK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
Be careful ordering a fedora by mail. Sometimes the brims are stiff and get in the way just like a ballcap. I wear the fedora when it's cool enough. For cold weather I have fleece and wool watch caps. Right now it's muzzleloader season, so I wear an orange watch cap -- same during rifle season when I'm hunting with a bow. To hunt with rifle or ML you need orange vest and hat. Sometimes In warmer weather I wear a camo boonie hat.  
Richard

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »
In warmer weather I wear a boonie I trimmed the brim on or a bandana, In cooler temps I but not freezing I wear a fedora or a alpaca wool Andean Chullo (a toque with earflaps) when it gets colder I wear a thick toque(pronounced toke or took depending on which Canadian or Michigander you ask, and it means a stocking cap or watch cap.) I have several.I actually have a collection of fedoras and toques.The hat I call my "lucky hat" is a touring or newsboy type hat from Donegal Ireland. Too bad I'm so camera shy(actually just too fugly for film) or I'd show you a few pics.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
i have a ball cap with wolfman jeff on it i use this one all the time.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »
Indy Jones Fedoras? Mad Dog Hats!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©