3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Arrow Weight  (Read 933 times)

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Arrow Weight
« on: February 02, 2017, 11:05:00 AM »
I have 2 different aluminum shafts and broadheads tuned to my recurve. I have bareshaft tuned both shafts and they are both shooting great. Here is the specs:

Arrow #1: XX75 1916, 125g Woodsman head. Total arrow weight of 448 grains, 9.95 grains per pound.

Arrow #2: XX75 2016, 175g Woodsman head. Total arrow weight of 525 grains, 11.6 grains per pound.

Arrow #1 noticeably shoots flatter trajectory, and faster. I do not have access to a chrono to actually see how much faster, but it's noticeable.

Arrow #2 noticeably shoots slower but seems to hit my target with better "authority", a good "thud". Hard to judge penetration differences based on the target material I use.

This arrow will be used hunting whitetail deer and possibly black bear in cover 90% of the time. Shots average 12 yards (based on past experiences) usually from a treestand.

Which arrow setup would you personally choose? As stated, both arrows are tuned very well and shooting great from the chosen bow.
Mark 1:17

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Arrow Weight
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 11:14:00 AM »
my arrows are real close to your weights. One deer I shot at 12 yards this year was with a 2018 and a 125grain Razorhead tomato arrow weight was 509. Pass thru. Second deer I shot was with a 390 acc with 200 grain VPA (my new favorite broadheads) up front total arrow weight 560 about 17 yards chest hit and penetrated 3/4 of the way. So I'm not super crazy on weight forward and POC. I guess I prefer a flatter shooting arrow.bith of yours will do just fine. Oh a few years  ago I shot a 390# hog with a 509 grain arrow and a bear Razorhead at 6 yards and it penetrated to the fletchings. Good enough for me and some of my friends shoot 600+ grain arrows and they don't always get pass thrus either.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 11:14:00 AM »
Of course, either will do the job.  I lean toward heavier set ups.  If it were me, I'd go with the 525 grain arrow. In fact, 525 grains, 11.6 gpp is just about exactly what I'm shooting for deer.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 11:15:00 AM »
Doesn't much matter for deer or black bear.  Either will do, if as you say, both are tuned to the bow and fly perfectly.  You don't say what weight on the bow but given what you say, it is personal choice.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 11:22:00 AM »
By doing some math, it looks like your draw weight is 45#.

With that draw weight my choice would be the heavier arrow.

I do believe either will work, but also believe the heavier one will work better with better penetration.

Bisch

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »
Drawing 45#.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 12:10:00 PM »
I would go with the heavier arrow.  At the range you are hunting you don't need a flatter shooting arrow.  The 525 grain arrow will penetrate better and make your bow quieter too.  My set up is about the same as yours and my arrows weigh around 525 grains also.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 12:20:00 PM »
Go with the arrow that you shoot most accurately. I use a gap system and I feel that a flatter arrow allows me to keep my gaps pretty consistent even on longer shots. So I would probably shoot the lighter one. Either one in the correct spot will kill. Good luck.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 01:31:00 PM »
I'd be comfortable with both, most of my arrows weight between 414-460 grains out of 44-49# draw weights.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 02:20:00 PM »
I'm up in the 13 gpp range so heavier is definitely my preference.  I think it was Ashby who found that heavy arrows (650+ grains for him) were hard to stop at any speed/draw weight.  And being a gap shooter myself, I like slower arrows for their smaller gaps at hunting rages.  But take my advice for what it's worth.  I've yet to take anything with a bow so I have to overcompensate a bit until my experience catches up with my reading level.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 02:28:00 PM »
Mood of the day for me.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »
I think either will work for you. Have you ever tried carbons? I love that I can front load the carbons with a 200gr broad head. I've noticed much better penetration with higher efoc.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 03:40:00 PM »
If you are going to limit yourself to 12 yards then the heavier the better because trajectory is not an issue...but...if you are like me I like to shoot a lot farther than that, especially in practice so I compromise and shoot a lighter arrow - usually around 9 grains per pound and have had no problems with penetration...
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 03:42:00 PM »
:)
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 04:09:00 PM »
I have seen a couple of cases where shooters with very heavy arrows did not get good penetration and and neither one has never had a pass through.   It has nothing to do with the weight of the arrow in those cases, it is arrow flight.  They do a lot of stretching when finding their draw lengths and tuning, but they fail to do that same stretching when actually shooting from a tree stand and as a result are shooting grossly over spined carbon arrows.  I prefer to shoot ten grains per pound at my less than 27' draw, one of the last deer was shot with a 9 grain per pound arrow, broken rib pass through, the arrow went into some snow covered weeds and could not be found.  In some cases a flatter flying arrow is an advantage.  A straight flying arrow at the hunting draw length and a broadhead that will penetrate properly with a lighter arrow can make up for loss of arrow weight, with the added benefit of a flatter trajectory.  As a still hunter and ground sitter with a less than 27" longbow draw, my shots tend to be longer than most tree stand hunters.   Many people seem to short draw a little from tree stands when shooting down at deer, with any arrow tuning, I would take that into consideration.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 05:15:00 PM »
For average 12 yard shots, heavier would be my choice for hunting. As stated trajectory is not an issue at that range and the bow will be quieter.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 05:50:00 PM »
Mint, yes, I have tried carbon shafts. I do not care for them personally. I much prefer aluminums.

Longbowwally, My shots are not limited to 12 yards, that's just my average shot distance. I have taken deer as close as 5 yards and as long as 20 yards in my preferred area of the woods. so it could be longer (or shorter!)

Thanks for the good replies everyone, gives a fella some things to consider!

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 06:11:00 PM »
Well said Pavan!  I tune slightly weak, knowing that there will be times I am contorted and short drawing a bit.  On the other hand I've not been in a situation in the woods that has prompted me to overdraw.  A sharp broadhead and well tuned arrow are potent medicine.  I'm not a fan of high foc as once you pass a point in your trajectory the arrow plummets very fast.

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 06:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
I have seen a couple of cases where shooters with very heavy arrows did not get good penetration and and neither one has never had a pass through.   It has nothing to do with the weight of the arrow in those cases, it is arrow flight.  They do a lot of stretching when finding their draw lengths and tuning, but they fail to do that same stretching when actually shooting from a tree stand and as a result are shooting grossly over spined carbon arrows.  I prefer to shoot ten grains per pound at my less than 27' draw, one of the last deer was shot with a 9 grain per pound arrow, broken rib pass through, the arrow went into some snow covered weeds and could not be found.  In some cases a flatter flying arrow is an advantage.  A straight flying arrow at the hunting draw length and a broadhead that will penetrate properly with a lighter arrow can make up for loss of arrow weight, with the added benefit of a flatter trajectory.  As a still hunter and ground sitter with a less than 27" longbow draw, my shots tend to be longer than most tree stand hunters.   Many people seem to short draw a little from tree stands when shooting down at deer, with any arrow tuning, I would take that into consideration.
Well said!! X's 2!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
The heavier arrow would easily be my choice.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©