3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Should a dry fire happen..  (Read 777 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Should a dry fire happen..
« on: February 03, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
This is something I got into a discussion with a bowyer about and would like some of you guys opinions.  I would love to see others thoughts.  

so, back to the question, should a dry fire happen on your bow, what would you expect the string to do?  

Would you want the string to break?

Or

Would you want it to stay intact?  

I would also be interested in which one you thought would be easier on the bow.  

I know there are a lot of SMART fellas on this forum so I was wondering if you wouldn't mind expressing your vote as well as why you voted that day.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Re: Should a dry fire happen..
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »
I voted for staying intact. I have had several dry fires over the years, and have never had a string break, and never had damage to a bow. Each time it has happened to me, I have looked things over, then kept on shooting with the same string.

Bisch

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »
I voted stay intact. I've had two dry fires, one with a 45lb recurve and another with a 60lb longbow. Both string survived and the bows had no damage done.

I may be wrong, but I would supposed that if a string did break and the bow sprung forward with all of that force, then it could possibly overstretch the bow in the wrong direction and cause some damage. Could that happen?

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 09:34:00 AM »
Once a string breaks, it is no longer available to absorb the energy of the limbs by stretching.  Can't see that as being a good thing for the bow.  JMHO.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 09:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by pdk25:
Once a string breaks, it is no longer available to absorb the energy of the limbs by stretching.  Can't see that as being a good thing for the bow.  JMHO.
Pat,

I can definitely see your point there.  I have had a few dry fires.  I have had both happen, the string break and the string not break, never had a bow mess up from it(at least not yet).  When the strings would break, they never broke both strands, it would only be one and would still keep the bow at a slight brace and at the second bundle would slide due to there not being any counter tension.  

I am not sure of what would be best.  But I can definitely see both sides.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 09:49:00 AM »
I know nothing about physics, so my opinion may not be worth much, but I would prefer the string to break. I have had a string break before with no bad results. When the string breaks, it absorbs some energy before it lets go, then when the limb fully extends, the remaining energy has to be absorbed. However, the energy is absorbed by the bow in stages. If the string remains intact, all energy is absorbed by the bow all at once, thus increasing the likelihood of limb failure. I will be glad to hear from the bowyers on this one.
Sam

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »
I agree with Pat AND would add that the string keeps both limbs working together and operating in "normal".  fashion.  Sorry for quotes, but I didn't know how else to describe normal in a dry fire (not normal) situation.  

In a mechanical system such as a bow, you want the energy dissipated in a controlled known way.  If the opposite occurs and energy adds in the wrong way or place (harmonically for example), bad things could happen.  For example all the energy my double in one limb as opposed to both or many variants in between.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 10:24:00 AM »
Adding to the discussion,

if the string breaks at release, the limbs have a long way to travel, and they will travel past the "normal" mark changing the tension / compression stresses on the limbs, but eating up the energy by simply flexing back and forth.  String breaking ( or not) at the normal spot puts a ton of pressure on the limb tips and the top section of each limb as it does at every shot).   Not sure how "controlled" that is except that it happens at the same location within the bend.  Pretty violent either way.

Not sure how I would see the string helping the limbs "work together" once a release is made as there is relative slack until it gets tight again at or near the end. It would seem the bow's tiller would see to any "togetherness" and changing tension on the string holding fingers or a sloppy release can and will change some of this momentarily.

I am also thinking that the outcome is also very dependent upon bow design with ASL / heavier limbed longbows better able (in my mind at least) to hold together and dissipate the additional forces than some heavily reflexed, lighter ( thinner) limbed recurve.

I guess I would hope for no dry fire at all.

I too am waiting to hear from those that are technically advanced in this particular area for better answers / questions than I can supply.
CHuckC

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 10:29:00 AM »
Don't know what's supposed to happen other than I've witnessed dozens of dry fires over the past few decades at shoots, etc. and I've never seen a string break.

Offline Caleb Monroe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 11:13:00 AM »
I know a bowyer who recommends B50 for new shooters in case a dry fire happens it stretches more and will hopefully do less damage to the bow.

I dry fired a bow trying out a new split finger tab that didn't have enough room for wood arrow nocks. Crapped my pants a little. Threw the tab in the trash and was nervous for a few shots but the bow is fine.
Sweka St. Jude Hill Style 70" 50@31"
Wild Horse Creek Condor 64" 55@31"

Offline Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
I had a dry fire once and the string snapped completely in two. The brass knock put a significant dent in the back of the riser. Luckily that was the only thing that happened! So I would have to agree with Pat and say intact to help absorb some of the energy
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »
Because of the way the question was worded, I chose "If I had a dry fire, I would want (expect) my string to break."  This is different from asking "Would you rather have a dry fire because your string broke or because of some other reason, like an arrow nock breaking."

I would prefer, if I had a dry fire, for the string to remain intact until it reached brace height, and then break under the force of the dry fire.  To me, this is like asking, if you fell out of a building, would you rather fall into a tree and then hit the ground, or fall directly onto the ground?  I think the string breaking as the bow reached brace height would take some of the sting out of the dry fire.

If my choices were to have a dry fire because the string broke at full draw or because an arrow nock fractured, I would pick that I would rather have an arrow nock fracture and the string remain intact, for the reasons others have stated above.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 11:38:00 AM »
Never really thought about it.  I've had a few dry fires over the years, seen tons more, but never had a string break or saw one break on a dry fire.  IMO, if a string breaks on a dry fire, it's not a safe string--very likely it's going to break anyway sooner or later with regular shooting.

That being said...I haven't had a bow delaminate on me over a dry fire, so I'll vote for it to stay intact.

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
Daniel funny you should post now
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 12:17:00 PM »
Never had a dry fire with conventional bows. Only one with a hot rod wheelie & I know what caused it. What are the things to watch out for with re curves and long bows?  Thanks. Ken

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »
Good thoughts Chuck, and what I was referring to was towards the end of the cycle and in rereading my post I a wasn't clear about that at all.

What I want is this whole messy affair to stop in as orderly of manner as possible.  The string IMO would aid that.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 12:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by kenneth butler:
Never had a dry fire with conventional bows. Only one with a hot rod wheelie & I know what caused it. What are the things to watch out for with re curves and long bows?  Thanks. Ken
Have had several dry fires, and all resulted from either fractured nocks or the nock slipping off the string.  I have been examining my nocks for cracks since the last dry fire, and have replaced several that might have fractured later on.  As John said, keeping nocks snug should prevent them from slipping off the string.  Also, don't get in the habit of touching the arrow with your bowhand finger as you draw the bow, or you can pull the nock off the string as you draw the bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 01:06:00 PM »
Exactly right about the habit of putting the bow hand finger next to the arrow as a guide, bad, bad, juju!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 01:11:00 PM »
Dave,

everyone would rather hit a tree first! haha!  

I don't know that i've ever seen one break at full draw.  I have had a couple that once the bow hit brace, they broke due to nock slipping off.  I would have to say that I agree the most with ChuckC.  I think the string breaking at brace would absord a lot of the energy.  In my experience, i've never had one break both strands.  It only snapped one and the other one still maintained a little bit of brace.

A bowyer was just telling me how some materials weren't supposed to be used on his bows because of how they would break or not should a dry fire happen.

It got my little rat to turning.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 02:03:00 PM »
let em grow  Dave,   yup, was a bit confusing.  And realize,  I am just guessing out loud, I have no materials engineering background to be able to figure out all the stresses involved.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©