3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: stumping fail  (Read 929 times)

Offline Mark Colangelo

• Trad Bowhunter
stumping fail
« on: February 04, 2017, 08:12:00 PM »
buddy and I attempted a little stump shooting this morning...broke most of my arrows on dead looking logs that were like steel. We were using "the hammer" blunts and usually they just bounced off our targets putting a ton of stress right behind the point. Judos are kind of expensive, but would they even work on real hard logs or standing trees here? Im in Nebraska and everything is frozen solid out here. Im down to pay for the judos if it will allow me to do some roving without worrying about snapping half my quiver every time I went out.
Mark C.

Javaman Elkheart, Bear Super Kodiak
BHA NWTF DU RMEF TRCP
Oregon State BS Fisheries & Wildlife
Society for Conservation Biology  
TSgt, USAF Active Duty

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: stumping fail
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 08:19:00 PM »
I lost four in an outing a few days ago. Lost, as in casualties/breaks. Shooting woodies. Easily replaced.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 08:34:00 PM »
Tradbowhunter had an article a couple of years ago where the guy made stumpers out of bolts, Tnuts, stout spring and nylon bushing.  Get they'd absorb some of the shock.  I foot my carbons w aluminum and it makes them pretty tough.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 08:56:00 PM »
Shoot wood arrows and go have fun.  If you worry about breaking them, you'll never test their abilities.  Not to mention, it gives you a reason to go make more.

Below is some I made up to do some testing.  They all have performed well.  Tomorrow, I'll be out abusing them more and having fun with my boys, and friends.

Yes, these are footed rabbit/stumping arrows.  The left is footed with South African Pink Ivory, straight Douglas fir, the last one is footed with African Blackwood.  All the shafts are Douglas fir.

Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 09:03:00 PM »
I've done that before , see a nice stump with moss and when you shoot it , you find out it's harder than woodpeckers lips .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 09:25:00 PM »
I don't shoot "stumps".  I shoot leaves, flowers, etc-things I know aren't "arrow killers".
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 09:26:00 PM »
Busted one last week shooting a "clod" of dirt, ended up being a rock.  Who knew?

To answer your question the frozen season is tough on arrows.  The judo's can bend by the spring, the hex is my go to stumping blunt in warm weather, but not good on frozen stumps either.  The hard rubber blunts will crack.  

I've been known to inspect my stump in the dead of winter with a old fixed blade knife and then walk away and shoot.   If its your land tie out some empty plastic laundry detergent jugs.   Best of luck!
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 09:41:00 PM »
If your not breaking arrows or looking for them your not shooting enough. I have broke more footed carbons than a good old cedar arrow. Yea I break one now and then......just part of the game. Plus they smell good when the break.....lol
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 09:47:00 PM »
That's why I shoot at weeds, clumps of grass, mole/pocket gopher hills, cow pies etc.. Rare occasion here in Colorado to find a properly rotten stump to shoot at! We even go so far as to GPS a spot if we find one elk hunting and navigate through it while hunting_
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 09:56:00 PM »
Friends and myself try to stump shoot weekly here in NE  Pennsylvania during the winter months.  Most of us use aluminum arrows with screw-in Judo points.  We all shoot 45-50 lb. bows.  Rarely due we destroy an arrow, might bend one, but can straighten it for the next shoot.  Yep, we loose one sometimes, due to a glance-off.  I have to say, if we were shooting wood shafts, we would be leaving the woods with fewer arrows in our quiver
The work praises the man.

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »
Mike, out of curiosity, how much do wingnuts weigh?

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hermon:
Mike, out of curiosity, how much do wingnuts weigh?
Just took it off and put on my scale.  The wing nut in the picture above weighs 117 grains.

Offline Mark Colangelo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »
so no one sees a markedly better arrow survival rate from one blunt to the next? is that the consensus? Just have to be careful to choose soft targets?
Mark C.

BHA NWTF DU RMEF TRCP
TSgt, USAF Active Duty

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 10:25:00 PM »
Thanks

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 10:29:00 PM »
I agree with what you said.. Wide heads like hammer heads and even hex heads hitting something hard obliquely tend to torque the shaft and break it right behind the head.  Happens to me all the time.  Judos don't do that as much, but themselves bend.

Standard blunts seem to work fine for me in cold weather, in terms of not breaking, but they tend to snake more under stuff.

Frozen trees are tough, just the way it is...
Ash arrows with hex heads have held up about the best for me.  Stump shooting is what I like to do best of all things arrow...
ChuckC

Offline Mark Colangelo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2017, 10:33:00 PM »
thank you Chuck! Just ordered some and Ill try to be more careful.
Mark C.

BHA NWTF DU RMEF TRCP
TSgt, USAF Active Duty

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2017, 10:34:00 PM »
I shoot XX75 - 2016 aluminum. I foot my stumping arrows with 2" piece of a 2215 aluminum shaft I think it is. To bullet proof but dang close too it.
Combine these arrows with judos and you should be GTG!
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Snow Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 10:58:00 PM »
I find standard steel blunts the best compromise for cost and effectiveness in slaying frozen stumps and root balls, as well as the occasional dead pine that registers 50+ on Rockwell scale.

Aluminum shafts, footed both internally with carbon and externally with aluminum still ended up bending on me so I switched to cheap carbons footed with 1" 2117's.  Breakage is nearly nil with bows up to 55# and 600+ grain arrows.  Not a ton of rocks in this part of MN.
Wanted:  Crow willing to fly into my arrow.  Blind, deaf and dumb preferred.  Mute a bonus.  One wing would be good.  No legs.  With vertigo...

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 03:39:00 AM »
Always nice when a rotten lookin stump is actually that, a rotten stump. Hit rock once in a while, but my footed Gold Tip Trads holds up real good. Been tipping them with Judo's, hex blunts and rubber blunts. Doesn't really matter what I shoot my arrows at. They either stick, or they bounce back. Worst ever happened is a lost nock or two. Of course shooting a #35 bow probably helps a bit...
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 07:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Recurve Addict:
so no one sees a markedly better arrow survival rate from one blunt to the next? is that the consensus? Just have to be careful to choose soft targets?
If you shoot wood arrows, try a set of Douglas fir shafts from Surewood.  They have been the best for me.  I usually end up losing them long before they break, and I typically put mine thru the destruction test as often as possible.

The picture I posted on the first page, shows douglas fir that has been footed.  It's only my opinion, but I do not believe Fir needs to be footed.  I do it to gain FOC, and well, it looks cool.  

As for durability, I've busted (tore actually) a FMJ shaft with a 300 grain small game blunt on the front. That was a wrist sized piece of Ironwood that cased that when the head hit the side of it and held on while the 685 grain shaft's momentum continued to follow thru.  In contrast, I've taken a full length Surewood Douglas fir shaft (630 grain total weight) and shot it from 20 feet into a live oak tree, recovered my arrow, and continued on the stumping session with the same arrow.  Both shafts were shot from the same 55# longbow, just a year apart.

Nothing is immune to failure, if you are willing to push the limits to find out what those limits are.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©