3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2016 Catch-up Thread...and an apology  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2016 Catch-up Thread...and an apology
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 07:29:00 PM »
We got out of the stand early, Cade didn't want to be in the stand anymore. We quietly went over to get the arrow, and as expected it was coated "green"...so we snuck out as quietly as possible...

When we got home...I made the call to work I had to make to let them know I'd be late. Talked to my wife about Cade going into school late...and we tried to get some sleep...

After a very restless night, we were up before day light, ate, prepared our stuff for work and school, and headed out to, hopefully, go find this deer of a lifetime!

The heavy morning dew wouldn't really help at all except keep the blood, if there was any, from drying.

I'm not gonna lie, at first it looked kinda promising...
•  

But after this bed, things went south quick...
•  

But 2 hours later, and only making it about 70 yards following a quickly thinning blood trail...it wasn't looking good at all...

I kept getting a feeling that she might try to head back the way she'd come from last evening. From past experience, I've seen it many times with wounded deer.

So after finally losing blood a while ago...I went on my gut feeling to head back the way she'd come...Cade and I spread out ans started walking trails...

We were now about 3 hrs. into this...it was getting hot, Cade needed to get to school and I really needed to get to work...

I told Cade we'd give it a little while longer, and we'd come back later after his golf practice...

We continued on...

As was following a trail through this "hell hole" of an overgrown old orchard, I looked left down a perpendicular trail that met the one I was walking, and I saw a leg sticking out from the brush...  

Patience and perseverance paid off as a great feeling of relief and accomplishment poured over me...I'd found her!!!

But... Cade didn't know it yet...

(this is all on video)....I called him over and told him I'd found blood...

When he got to me...I pointed in the right direction and said...."the blood is over there, you take the lead"...

He didn't make it 5 steps when he turned around and gave me the biggest bear hug he's ever given!!!

We gave thanx and tried our best to appreciate what lay before us...

She was exactly what I thought...but still couldn't believe what I was looking at...pix do not do this deer justice...  
•  

White eye lashes..
•  

Look at her gauntness...
•  

Respect...
•  

She was huge...
•  

One very happy young bowhunter...
•  
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »
Making it official...
•  
•  

For those that are interested in this sort of thing, here are her upper and lower teeth...
•  

Tops worn right to gum line...
•  

My favorite picture that shows all she was, and how much he appreciates her...
•  

Still to this day, months later, I can't believe it...the ancient old matriarch, a deer of many lifetimes in my book.......
Curt } >>--->   

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 07:47:00 PM »
Wow that's a loooong doe,
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »
Wow that's something many people never get to see! Congrats!
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2017, 10:36:00 PM »
HECKUVA DOE!  CONGRATS!  Those old gals are as hard or harder to kill than a big buck.  Way to go, Cade.
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline Pound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2017, 11:17:00 PM »
Awesome job Guru....I admire your dedication and really enjoy your videos. Keep them coming!!!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2017, 08:10:00 AM »
WOW     :eek:  
Awesome Doe

What a trophy and a GREAT experience!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 08:37:00 AM »
:thumbsup:

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 09:46:00 AM »
That is a very special deer to take.  Congrats to Cade!  The last time I rifle hunted, I happened to take a buck that had teeth like that.  He was estimated to be 9.5 years old.  It's definitely a rarity to find deer like that.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 10:21:00 AM »
Awesome season Curt (and Cade)!  Thanks for sharing...the pics are always outstanding!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »
Pure awsomeness!!!

Congrats to y'all!

Bisch

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
Amazing! That doe has seen some hunters in her life and probably messed up plenty hunters. What an honor to get her!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »
Well done..... Good to have you back!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
There's not a better story teller on here, Curt's pictures and videos could almost tell the story's by them selves. Even though I know the story's I find myself going back through them each time he shares them with us. Congrats guys and thanks buddy for sharing with us again very enjoyable thread from beginning to end.

That old doe still blows me away! What a unique trophy    :bigsmyl:      :thumbsup:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2017, 09:37:00 PM »
And btw, you don't have to apologize for anything!!!!

Bisch

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2017, 11:05:00 PM »
Curt,

You're the man!  Thanks so much for all the work you put in to share your stories with us!

Congrats and thanks to you and Cade.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2017, 06:59:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Curt and congratulations to you and Cade. One of the best Father and son team's to hit the woods. I Always enjoy reading your adventures.

Steve Jr
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Nole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »
Man what a great story and thanks for sharing!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2017, 07:59:00 AM »
Thank fellas....it really feels good to be writing again!

Not done yet though....a lot of season left!

October 6th

After starting off the season so well with Cade's incredible doe....I got the chance 4 days later to hunt.

Cade had golf practice after school, so I would be by myself.

The stand I would hunt is one of our double sets that was on the north side of the best acorn tree I've ever found!  It was dropping a massive amount of acorns and the deer were wearing it out!!

Trail cam told be the deer were there on and off all day...so I knew there was a chance there might be deer there when I snuck in. But it was close to a working apple orchard, so the deer where used to human activity around the orchard. With the stand only 20yds. inside the woods I knew I'd be ok...

Wish I'd taken more pictures, but I have a lot of video of this hunt.

Got ready ,walked in, and there were deer there....I could hear them moving off as I approached...they'd be back...

Climbed up using my tree hopped bolts that were once Chris Surtees'( I still try to use his gear that I have).

Three cameras set-up, bow hunt...I'm ready...

As I sat there, I couldn't believe the way the acorns were raining down around and upon me....amazing!

Didn't have to wait long at all, and I had deer coming.

Two small does showed first, then a bigger one....but she was leary...and left after only getting in to about 30yds....

The little deer were devouring acorns as they wandered around under the canopy of the huge ancient oak.

Soon I see a big doe coming, pretty sure the same one from a earlier...

Three cameras rolling...

She's leary, but hungry...and she kept coming in from behind me...

It took a while, but soon she'd worked around in front of me and was 1/4 away at about 7yds....

Made sure the main camera was on her and knew it was time...

I drew back "Cy", my beloved Kempf Kwyk Styk that has proven itself time and time again...  

The "Big Jim" tipped, 630 gr. carbon arrow slammed into her in a flash...entry looked perfect for the angle...but the arrow came to a crunching halt as it obviously had encountered bone....but it had sunk to what looked like about up to the fletch!

She jumped almost straight up and took of "bull dozing" and was eaten up by the early season vegetation in no time....now I shook...as I always do after the shot!!

Shortly after I had another big doe under me, and had a serious talk with myself about shooting another deer....I wanted to very bad!

But... I was by myself, it was warm, and I needed to get up early for work...my better judgement won....she got a free pass    :nono:  

It got about dark, and the deer had moved out into the orchard enough...it was time to get down...

The massive "Big Jim" is a wicked broadhead!
 •  
•  

How she made it 150yds or so I'll never know...
•  
•  

It was hot!
•  

When I rolled her over I could see where the 300gr. monster had completely broken through the lower shoulder bone before exiting(later when butchering I found it almost completely shattered) ,the big BH and heavy carbon had proven very deadly!!

A very cool hunt captured from three different angles!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2017, 08:25:00 AM »
Very nice   :campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©