3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Short bow dilemma  (Read 828 times)

Offline trex_arms

• Trad Bowhunter
Short bow dilemma
« on: February 07, 2017, 10:06:00 PM »
So I know the general consensus is short bows create strong pinch and are very unforgiving sure to the sharp angles.  But... What about for guys with short draw lengths? I draw at 25" so I was wondering if it's with me investing in a Bear 48 and trying it out.  It wouldn't be my primary bow but it's something that seriously interests me.  

Thoughts?   :help:

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Short bow dilemma
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:15:00 PM »
Go for it! I've watched video reviews of guys drawing the Super Mag well past 28". I shoot a 52" Kiowa at my 27" draw and have zero finger pinch. My cousin shoots a Kodiak Magnum with the same draw as mine with no complaints. The design of the bow makes more of a difference than the length.

I almost bought a SM instead of the Kiowa, but I wasn't sure I'd like the grip. I certainly wasn't afraid of the finger pinch.

By the way, welcome aboard! I see this is your first post. You've come to the right place if you plan to hunt traditional. You'll get loads of help and support here.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Mark Colangelo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 10:29:00 PM »
I have heard that short bows also typically generate more hand shock. Does anyone else find that to be true?
Mark C.

Javaman Elkheart, Bear Super Kodiak
BHA NWTF DU RMEF TRCP
Oregon State BS Fisheries & Wildlife
Society for Conservation Biology  
TSgt, USAF Active Duty

Offline trex_arms

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 10:32:00 PM »
Thanks!

I'm just hesitant to spend the money on one and shoot terrible with it.  But that sounds ready encouraging.  If a few more people say it's worth it I'll have to get one.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 10:59:00 PM »
My 56" Toelke Pika feels exactly like a 64" Whip on the draw.  As mentioned design is a key factor.

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 11:26:00 PM »
I'd try one out before you buy. The last thing you want is a bow that stacks hard.

Offline trex_arms

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 11:28:00 PM »
I wish I could try it out, I don't know of a place to try it a bow like that in my area.  Unfortunately traditional archery isn't huge out here.

Offline Snow Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 11:34:00 PM »
Any chance to test drive one?

FWIW,I've had zero finger pinch issues with 2 K Mags, a 52" Pearson, a 50" Browning Cobra, and a 48" SuperMag I've owned.  Draw weights from 44-55#, draw length up to 29+".  I do shoot 3 under, however, and the high string angle does affect the impact of my ring finger on release: my flubbed shots are invariably due to a plucky ring finger.
Wanted:  Crow willing to fly into my arrow.  Blind, deaf and dumb preferred.  Mute a bonus.  One wing would be good.  No legs.  With vertigo...

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 11:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Recurve Addict:
I have heard that short bows also typically generate more hand shock. Does anyone else find that to be true?
My shortest is 56" (I draw 29-1/2") and it is not the hand shock but finger pinch, and general lightless of the bow that makes it harder to hold steady on release.  Just because it is so light and has less inertia.

Not enough to outweigh the benefits.  Shorter, lighter, "snappier" for a given draw.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 11:58:00 PM »
Go to the Trad History/ Collecting Forum and read Traps thread entitled "This week in 19__".

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 09:03:00 AM »
I think you should try it. There is a short bow "fear" out there that I think it is taken a lil to far. Common sense obviously it's not going to have the same feel as other longer bows A big key is getting use to it...get the feel for it, invest the time. Finger pinch ( not that I think you will have any ) is up to you to talorate or get use to because the string is at a different angle that your simply not use to. And not able to be accurate because the bow has now become different and it shows flaws. Why be nervous of a bow that can show you form issues! In the hunting world short bows have advantages some dont realize. My thoughts.

Offline trex_arms

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »
Looking at the Bear Cheyenne, it's 55" so not as short as the super mag, but still on the shorter end of bow sizes.  I'm thinking that will very well for me.  Thanks for the input guys.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »
One thing to remember when you have a short draw is powerstroke. Most production short bows have a high brace height(8" or more). This robs performance. I have a short draw also (26"). I shoot bows that are designed for short draws and have low brace heights(6-7"). Maddog bows has several models that are designed for short draws.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 10:55:00 AM »
I have a 50 in. short rcurve going around right now and can get you on the try list if you like.PM me for details.

High on Archery.

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
Good Looking shorty There Mike!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »
Short draw length, shorter bow.  Longer draw length, longer bow.  As simple as that.  Short bow should be perfectly suited to your shorter draw length.  Go for it.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »
Who'd a thunk such a short bow would work so well..... Hmmmm

Look Ma, no finger pinch and no stack.     :D    

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
A short bow shooting aspirins for the crowd.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
I have owned and shot a Bear Kmag and Tolke Kestrel.  Both two of my favorite and accurate bows.  Teh Kestrel was #45 and shot the same arrows as my #57 RD longbows.  NO extra handshock and finger pinch was minimal, but my longest bow is 57".
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 05:19:00 PM »
I have a 28" draw and have trouble believing how smooth and forgiving the little 54" Elkheart is! No finger pinch either!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©