3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Salt Fork Wildlife Area In Ohio  (Read 570 times)

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
Salt Fork Wildlife Area In Ohio
« on: February 08, 2017, 12:40:00 PM »
Hey guys and gals I am getting ready to plan my scouting trio to Ohio and I am looking into this area bring my main focus. Just looking for a little push start on where to access it. As I posted in the past I'm not looking for anyone secret slots just a little guidence. If anyone could pm me and help out a little it would very very appreciated. I hope to have a thread started soon on this trip with my dad and brother. Starting with scouting and eventually with the hunt this fall. Thank you all as always. Brandon
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Salt Fork Wildlife Area In Ohio
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
Wish I could help but I've only been camping there and don't know anyone who hunts it. Very beautiful woods though should be a good hunt
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »
There are no secret spots at Salt Fork, it is one of the most heavily hunted wildlife areas in Ohio.  I used to hunt the area pretty regularl, it is hard to get away from the crowds because of all of the roads in the area.  There are some nice deer in the area but they are pressured if you are sold on hunting Salt Fork I would concentrate in the Kimbolten area.  

Personally, I think you would have a more enjoyable hunt if you hunted Egypt Valley which is about 30 miles to the east of Salt Fork.  Also, the game lands around Clendening, Leesvile and Atwood Lakes are great hunting and because they are not at the intersection of  two interstates like Salt Fork they get less pressure.  All of these areas have plenty of campgrounds or cabins to rent and thousands of acres to hunt.  

Good luck on your hunt, if you need any help let me know

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 09:15:00 AM »
I've hunted just about everything at SF, from small game to turkeys.  Everything BUT deer.  As mentioned above, deer are highly pressured there.  That, and I have private lands closer to home that I would much rather deer hunt.  That being said, I have most often encountered deer in the low lands while duck hunting.  The swamps and creek bottoms seem to attract the deer, but deter the deer hunters
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »
Any public hunting areas along major 4-lane or interstate routes in Ohio are going to see a lot of deer pressure from both residents and nonresidents. That's just a logical fact. It's not intended to dissuade: just something to know ahead of time. Your scouting might go great in February but next deer season could be a real contest. Just be aware of it.

12M people call Ohio home and we have a LOT of hunters here. The amount of public hunting acreage vs number of hunters means it's usually a squeeze in popular and accessible areas.

I have made this suggestion before: Study a map and determine the areas which require the most time and effort to access. Be sure no atvs are permitted. Usually you'll be looking at the farthest/deepest areas which require an hour or more of walking one way. If it requires a deep creek or swamp crossing, or if climbing a murderously steep hill is mandatory...all the better. Simply put...the harder you have to work to get there, the fewer road warriors you'll encounter.

If you really want maximum hunting adventure, spend part of a day on either end backpacking your gear in/out of a remote forest area. Camp in there and forget the daily walk-in. Yes...there are plenty of places on larger public lands where you can get away from almost all day-hunters.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 02:15:00 PM »
I used to hunt there and have enjoyed some success.  One time a buddy and I walked in for about an hour, getting about as far away from the road as we could and in time to arrive at our "secret" spot before daylight, only to encounter a much smarter hunter, who had just stepped off his boat minutes before.....there's your hint!  I never forgot that lesson and now that I have my own boat, I do the same with very good results.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 07:40:00 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm really trying to do my homework on this right now so when it comes time I'm not one of those "road warriors". I know it's tough to get away from folks but just want an enjoyable hunt for my dad and get him on a deer or two. Michigan is awful and even in the most remote areas there is people everywhere. Heck even private land i see someone every other set.Thanks again for your help.
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »
If Salt Fork doesn't work out, there are lonelier alternatives. Good luck.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 09:25:00 AM »
Good luck with your scouting/hunting Brandon!  I'm always amazed by the great help that you can receive on Tradgang!  

I think all of the comments to help an out of state hunter have been fantastic - very well thought out from some serious hunters.  Let us know next fall how your hunt went.

Bernie

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »
Brandon,  Don't overlook Forked Run in Meigs county.  Some great deer in that area, very little traffic.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©