3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lightweight tree-stand setups  (Read 549 times)

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
Lightweight tree-stand setups
« on: February 09, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »
I will be hunting public land this year and I am looking at my tree climbing set-up. I have a Summit Openshot climbing stand which weighs 15lbs. It is slightly unwieldy and I am open to other options. I really would like to hunt on the ground but in South Louisiana things are so thick that I don't know how effective that would be. So what is your portable set up? latch on stands with ladders/ tree steps? climbers? chairs on the ground? What brands do you use and what do they weigh? Pictures are a plus!

And if anyone has any experience hunting South Louisiana public land that would be a plus too. I realize that I am in for a multi-year journey before I have success with a longbow on public land but encouragement and advice from those who have done it sure would help!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lightweight tree-stand setups
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 07:17:00 PM »
Treesaddle/LW sticks or lightwt Stand/LW sticks.  Can't get more versatile and simple.  Its all I use hunting numerous states.  Set-up and take down every time. Takes less than 10 minutes per set.  Attach backpack shoulder straps and a seriously good hip belt to the stand.  You will never know you have an extra 15-20#.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 07:53:00 PM »
LW is Lone Wolf I presume? Treesaddle is an Aerohunter on newtribe.com?

Offline slow reflection

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 08:04:00 PM »
I am using either a milenium microlight with 3 muddy aerolite sticks or 1 muddy aerolite stick with a sit n drag saddle depending how long I will be in stand. Although this is a light system if was starting over I would buy a little bigger stand. My millennium is to small to put backpack straps with a waistbelt. Check out traditional archery and wilderness podcast set up with a lone wolf stand with waist belt.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 08:54:00 PM »
My lone wolf climber is the lightest.  Very stable and quiet. I also use a lone wolf assault with sticks.  A bit heavier overall and takes me a bit longer to get set up. A little more versatile though.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 09:00:00 PM »
I also have a Summit Open Shot, but not always the best setup to use. I have a older Cabelas aluminum hang on stand at 8# and 3 Leverage climbing sticks that I modified by using a LW Versa button and climbing rope to secure to tree. I also added a rope drop step for the bottom stick so I pick up added height. This setup with stand, 3 sticks, 20' lifeline, foam seat/spacer, and bungee cords weight 16# and carries flat on back.

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 09:07:00 PM »
I've been hunting with a Hawk Helium and Helium climbing sticks for the past two years. Absolutely loving the setup for pack in and out hunting.
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 09:12:00 PM »
id be leary about hunting from the ground on public land in the south. too many rednecks. Id just adapt your climber as its light and a good bow stand. try the third hand straps from Jim and get you a bow holder. I think you'll be happy with it then
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 09:17:00 PM »
Lone wolf alpha with sticks. Had a clears shot, same as open shot, great stand but can slip on smooth bark trees. I think the summit was the best system climber to use. Never tried a wolf climber though

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 10:59:00 PM »
Jacob,

I just texted you bud.  If it were me, I would get a light stand and some sticks.  There are several different brands, etc out there.  LW is a very popular one, personally, I didn't like them because of their seats, but I do like to sit down a decent amount.  I recently got a millennium m7.  It has a great seat, but I don't like exactly how far it is from the tree.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 08:28:00 AM »
http://imgur.com/a/AXLPg  

my lightest is a loc-on and 6 jim stepp ladder steps ALL wrapped in hockey tape to make as quiet as possible when un packing in woods,,will get me 14' up a tree.

I do have a LW hand climber but I'm liking the quick-on portable set-ups more and more now..
"Us vs Them"

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 09:48:00 AM »
I use a Chippewa wedgelock and lw climbing sticks. I bought the molle II army backpack straps with hip belt on the bidding site and put them on the wedgelock. Made it a lot easier and for $20 how could you go wrong. Check out the molle II system.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 10:20:00 AM »
Muddy pro sticks -- (wrap some tape around them so they stack a little better) -- Then the lightest hang-on stand you can find.

I also have backpack straps for the hang-on stand. It all works pretty well.

My most portable set up has been a length of camo fabric; a hand full of binder clips; a length of paracord; a hammock tree seat; a thermacell; and a pair of pruners. It is a fast way to set up a ground blind -- the pruners are the key element, but the thermacell is a must too.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »
My wife hunts from an X stand 12#
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 11:20:00 AM »
The Open Shot at 15# is a darn lightweight complete setup. No need for additional climbing sticks, etc, etc. What is it that you don't like about the Open Shot climber? Curious because my plan was to buy an Open Shot for use on public land before next season.
Mark 1:17

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 12:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by DarrinG:
The Open Shot at 15# is a darn lightweight complete setup. No need for additional climbing sticks, etc, etc. What is it that you don't like about the Open Shot climber? Curious because my plan was to buy an Open Shot for use on public land before next season.
Here are the key things I've found in my first 2 seasons with it (limited use)
1) It is very light weight for a climber and provides an open front which is a must!
2) It doesn't have the best grip on trees. If the tree has somewhat smooth bark it is hard to find good purchase.
3) The seat is super comfortable 4" padding.
4) My main issue is that it doesn't carry well. I might be able to make it work if I change out the factory shoulder straps and add a waist belt and some padding. However, I am a pretty small guy with narrow shoulders and I've never been able to carry a pack comfortably for long.

I just wanted to see what everyone else is using since I am new to packing everything in and out on each hunt.

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 01:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by jbpharmd:

Originally posted by DarrinG:
Here are the key things I've found in my first 2 seasons with it (limited use)
1) It is very light weight for a climber and provides an open front which is a must!
2) It doesn't have the best grip on trees. If the tree has somewhat smooth bark it is hard to find good purchase.
3) The seat is super comfortable 4" padding.
4) My main issue is that it doesn't carry well. I might be able to make it work if I change out the factory shoulder straps and add a waist belt and some padding. However, I am a pretty small guy with narrow shoulders and I've never been able to carry a pack comfortably for long.

I just wanted to see what everyone else is using since I am new to packing everything in and out on each hunt. [/b]
everything you mentioned here you dont like will be fixed with third hand archery straps. I'll never climb a tree again without them.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 04:31:00 PM »
I use a LW hand climber top and a timbertall brute platform.  Less than 24#s and a larger platform.  I shoot standing.  I personally don't find the LW that uncomfortable.  I'd never hunt all day anyway and can easily sit 5-6 hours.

I had a Open Shot and I didn't like the way it packed or the way it carried with my short torso, but heck of a stand once you are in it.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline bosteldr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 07:26:00 PM »
Look for a used Loggy Bayou, Ive been using one for over 20 yrs have not found a light weight climber that is any better

DAVE B

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 07:34:00 PM »
I own 2 Open Shot stands, one LW climber and numerous lock on stands. I customize all my stands to meet my needs without compromising the integrity of my stand. I use extra straps and bungee cords to fasten my pack as well as my bow.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©