3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cresting carbons help  (Read 372 times)

Offline Mountain State Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
cresting carbons help
« on: February 10, 2017, 09:23:00 AM »
I've had great success cresting woodies with lacquer cresting paint over gasket lacquer sealer.  Now I've got some carbons I want to crest.  Whenever, I've tried though, the lacquer cresting paint is very runny, thin and does not dry like it does on my woodies.  Any info on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: cresting carbons help
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 11:21:00 AM »
Two different surfaces as you know. The carbon is not absorbing the paint. Probably has some type of hard finish on them common to today's carbons. You could try roughing up the surface first. Otherwise a thinker Laq. is maybe what you need.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 04:09:00 PM »
I dipped and crested all my wood arrows when I made wood arrows.But these days with carbons I prefer to just wrap them.It is so much quicker,easier and you can just peel them off and redo them later when they can get damaged.Check out Onestringer.com,they have quite a few of Traditional style wraps at different lengths and widths.I have also done a solid color wrap and crested them.I can wrap a dozen arrows in about 10 minutes or spend several days dipping and cresting them.

Offline Eric S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
I'll second the wraps. I have a set of carbons from at least 10 years ago that I've fletched and re-fletched multiple times. Much easier with the wraps. Go to a vinyl sign shop and get whatever color you want,cut to whatever length you want. Very economical this way. You can then crest with a Sharpie if you wanted.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »
I wipe my carbons with a thin layer of clear lacquer, then crest with Testers enamel. overcoat with clear water based poly.

No adverse reactions using that pattern.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 06:56:00 PM »
I dip with lacquer then crest with lacquer. Then coat with water based poly. Never any issues with carbon or aluminum or wood. I also use testor paint over lacquer if I need a certain color. If your lacquer is to thin leave the top off overnight. IT will thicken up.

Online Cobie33

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »
I use Rustoleum to dip, then Testors to crest and a water based poly to finish my carbons and it works great.
"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.”
 Albert Pike

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 09:58:00 PM »
Another thought, you could try good old Bohning cresting paints but not over GL.

Offline STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 07:39:00 AM »
Check out True North Paints too, I just bought some of their dip paints, and cresting paints and have been very happy with them.  They sell a carbon primer dip paint also.  I have used the Bohning products for the last 10-12 years with no problems also. The only thing with the bohning paints is the smell, you want to make sure if you're using them it is in a well ventilated spot.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 11:54:00 PM »
Been to True North, been to rustoleum, enamel, and thinned latex paint of various kinds.  I've gone back to fletch lac for dipping and either fletch lac or enamel for cresting.  Face it, lacquer is the toughest coating we can put on them.
Tom

Online 3R Shooter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 08:48:00 AM »
I've had good success with True North dips and paints on carbons. I have moved to using clear wraps over the dip and crest now though. Helps with keeping the fletchings from pulling the dip off the shaft.
I work for 3Rivers Archery as the President.
 www.3RiversArchery.com

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 11:51:00 AM »
Well Three Rivers makes more arrows that I ever will, so their advice if better. I used the tru north cresting paints for a years over spray paint cap. The worked really good. But I could never get the right thinness or adhesion with their white cap dip. Recently I ordered the old Fletchlaq white cap dip and Fletchlaq cresting paints along with Bohning platinum glue. The of the smell of the Fletchlaq cap dip was shockingly intense. My wife said I was gone for a while somewhere outside in the woods the first time I used it. But I swear I never left the garage where I was making arrows!!????
Anyhow the smell seems a lot less after opening the paints a few times and doesn't bother me anymore. The stuff is really tough and gives good cresting lines for an overall nice clean looking finished arrow. For a novice who only makes 2-3 arrows at a time it has given me the best results. BTW...Everything you read says don't dip clear fletchlaq over your fletchlaq crest or the cresting will be ruined. But it works just fine for me.
Tedd

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 08:46:00 PM »
If I crest carbons Rustoleum/American Accents works well for me. I don't dip if I want a cap but rather I spray with rustoleum as well. I top coat with some poly and a foam brush. It has worked great for me over the years

Online 3R Shooter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
I have found I needed to dip extra times with the True North cap dipping paint. I remember now my last time was with Bohning water based (comes in there dip kit). That worked great, and being water based I could use the True North cresting paints easily. Still recommend using a clear wrap over it as it adds to the durability of the fletchings holding.
I work for 3Rivers Archery as the President.
 www.3RiversArchery.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©