3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sharpening Simmons Broadheads with a Rada  (Read 1349 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Sharpening Simmons Broadheads with a Rada
« on: February 10, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »
This is my attempt to share what I have learned in the past 2-3 years about sharpening.  I have always been able to get a knife as sharp as anything, but I really struggled with the concave Simmons heads.  This is just the way that I do it.  Like most things, I learned this from someone else, so don't think too highly of me.  

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sharpening Simmons Broadheads with a Rada
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 01:27:00 AM »
:thumbsup:

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 05:24:00 AM »
Don't worry, I won't.   :laughing:
Good video. I was put on to the Rada about a year ago by Southpaw and it was in direct response to my question about how to sharpen Simmons, which I knew he used. Very cost effective and it does the job. Recommend it highly.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 08:26:00 AM »
Would this "system" work with the Centaur heads? For whatever reason, I just can't get those heads sharp. Thanks

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 10:02:00 AM »
Thanks for that. Man it looks so darn easy! So you just use the factory bevel and go straight to the Rada sharpener? Or do you touch it up with something first?

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 11:18:00 AM »
I just tried this out after watching your video. I picked up some summon interceptors and a rada a few years ago and never had much luck sharpening them, even after looking for help here and on YouTube. I knew to use a sharpie, and to lighten up my strokes as I went. But the big key you gave was to tilt the sharpener and keep that Broadhead straight! I still need to fine tune my technique but I now have two heads that will rough shave. They aren't hair poppin sharp yet, but with practice I'll get there. The two I worked on had little if any file work done to them originally. I do have two that I need more help with. They're like the one you showed in the vid that I've been working on with files and stuff and I probably need to change the angle to salvage these heads. You can see how different the angle is on either side. Any tips on restoring a messed up simmons head?

Offline GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »
The late Chris Surtees turned me on to the Rada 7 or 8 years ago.I use that and a jewel stick to touch up the inside of the curve. Works well for me.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 12:04:00 PM »
Ive been using a Rada wheelie sharpener for a while with excellent results on about any blade. I sharpen my knives with it and they shave like butter. Instead of holding the Rada base at an angle, I just hold the blade at a downward-pointing angle. I do believe holding at the downward angle, whether the base or adjusting the blade angle downward, makes a world of difference. I also strop on cardboard when done to remove any light burr when done with the Rada and get excellent results. I still use a file and fine stone on my 3 blade heads just because it's so easy with the built-in angles.
Thanks for sharing the video!
Mark 1:17

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 01:05:00 PM »
Rada seems to be good for almost any sharpening task. Jus strop when done.   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 01:15:00 PM »
Y'all better be right..I just ordered three..LOL
Thanks Gents!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 01:38:00 PM »
I didn't watch the video and maybe it shows this, but I find it easier to poke the broadhead into a board ( wall of shop) and pull the RADA from front to back.  I get the rear cutting wings better that way and it just seems to work ( for me...)
CHuck

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 02:02:00 PM »
Awesome job!!!... Pat also told me about this method thxs for the video Daniel can't beat it and how cheap a Rada is
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »
Radas are awesome! Best $8 i ever spent.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline r.spencer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 03:15:00 PM »
Just ordered mine for $6.15.   I have no problem sharpening my zwickeys.  The Simmons have been a challenge
If you are going to be a bear , be a grizzly

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 03:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by bunyan:
I just tried this out after watching your video. I picked up some summon interceptors and a rada a few years ago and never had much luck sharpening them, even after looking for help here and on YouTube. I knew to use a sharpie, and to lighten up my strokes as I went. But the big key you gave was to tilt the sharpener and keep that Broadhead straight! I still need to fine tune my technique but I now have two heads that will rough shave. They aren't hair poppin sharp yet, but with practice I'll get there. The two I worked on had little if any file work done to them originally. I do have two that I need more help with. They're like the one you showed in the vid that I've been working on with files and stuff and I probably need to change the angle to salvage these heads. You can see how different the angle is on either side. Any tips on restoring a messed up simmons head?
I have a head that's been absolutely mangled by my sharpening capabilities. I'll try to
Salvage it with the rada.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 03:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
Rada seems to be good for almost any sharpening task. Jus strop when done.   :thumbsup:
FWIW, I have never stropped it on anything.  Shaving sharp is plenty sharp enough for me.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 05:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by jbpharmd:
Thanks for that. Man it looks so darn easy! So you just use the factory bevel and go straight to the Rada sharpener? Or do you touch it up with something first?
Straight factory.  The problem with me "touching it up" on anything would be my lack of consistency.  One things i've learned about sharpening is you have to be consistent.  That's why so many people have such great results with the KME, it removes human error.

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 08:27:00 PM »
Daniel,

I have 2 or 3 RADA that I bought for our kitchen and for the Simmons.

I got bored while on stand today at 1100 and keep a RADA in my backpack so I re-touched all my arrows in my quiver after watching your video, great job!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 08:55:00 AM »
That's the nice thing about radas, accusharps, and files...you can bring them into the field with you. Good luck lugging your belt sander to the stand!

My rada skills are getting better. I've got two Simmons heads to a point where I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with them, and a couple more that are sooo close. They grab when you try to shave, but aren't cutting an entire patch...yet!

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 10:59:00 AM »
Good video Daniel.  It shows how quickly you can get them ready to hunt out of the package.  I don't do much differently other than the way I take care of the trailing edge.  Don't forget, the RADA sharpener is great for taking the burr off of single bevels as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©