3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sharpening Simmons Broadheads with a Rada  (Read 1350 times)

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sharpening Simmons Broadheads with a Rada
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »
Hey Pat while your at it, please share the method for the trailing edge.

That the one area I have the most trouble on and I believe it is one of the most important part of the broad heads design.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 05:47:00 PM »
It is really simple.  I take the broadhead off of the arrow, turn it around and pull it through the same as the rest of the blade, changing the angle that of the broadhead with respect to the sharpener as you pull through because the blade is more curved here.  I keep the sharpener fixed on a table (or on a tree when in the field) and adjust the broadhead for the angle rather than the sharpener.  After the trailing edge is sharp, I turn the broadhead around and pull through to blend with the rest of the the broadhead.  I prefer to have the broadhead on an arrow for this part because it makes it easier for me to stay perfectly straight.

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »
You shaved that big ole pumpkin face!!!  You look like a little kid pal!
Blessings,
Steve

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 07:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by PastorSteveHill:
You shaved that big ole pumpkin face!!!  You look like a little kid pal!
Thanks for the kind words, Steve, JERK!!! haha!  Yeah, I knew I was going to look like a balding 12 year old, but its already growing back! First time I had shaved in over 5 years.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 01:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by pdk25:
Good video Daniel.  It shows how quickly you can get them ready to hunt out of the package.  I don't do much differently other than the way I take care of the trailing edge.  Don't forget, the RADA sharpener is great for taking the burr off of single bevels as well.
I have tried your method of flipping it and for some reason, I didn't continue doing it.  I will try it out again.

FWIW, I do pay extra attention(more than I did in the video) of where I start the blade.  I typically start it all the way at the back and pull all the way through.  

Thanks for teaching me how to do this, Pat!  It has been great so far!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 08:47:00 PM »
No problem Daniel.  Just the way I do it, and I know they are plenty sharp for hunting and it can be done easily in the field.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 06:01:00 AM »
Rada sharpeners work!That is why we sell them.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 03:02:00 PM »
Just received half a dozen of the new Simmons 175gr. Tiger Sharks. Have a Rada and commenced to sharpening those suckers up. Does do a great job. Then decided to give it a try on one of my 200gr. single bevel Cutthroats. Wow. The sharpest I've ever been able to get them. If you don't have one of those sharpeners, do yourself a favor, and a lot of money, and get a Rada.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 01:25:00 AM »
I have never believed these things could possibly work, but after watching you shave that hair off your arm, I just ordered 2 of them to give them a try. I sure hope they work on regular broadheads too because I don't have any Simmons heads. I absolutely hate sharpening broadheads. It takes me over 30 minutes per head to get them shaving the way I want them. If this works Daniel, I will buy you a round at the next 3D shoot we are at together!

Bisch

Offline T.P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 07:44:00 AM »
I had a rada that I left in the kitchen. Brought it down to the basement tried it on my tree sharks  and it did a great job. Nice video, thanks.  May have to get another one for the kitchen now.

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2017, 08:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by highlow:
Just received half a dozen of the new Simmons 175gr. Tiger Sharks. Have a Rada and commenced to sharpening those suckers up. Does do a great job. Then decided to give it a try on one of my 200gr. single bevel Cutthroats. Wow. The sharpest I've ever been able to get them. If you don't have one of those sharpeners, do yourself a favor, and a lot of money, and get a Rada.
How is it possible that this sharpener can work on a single bevel? It cuts a double bevel as it sharpens??? It seems to me that you would just essentially slowly be turning your single bevel into a double bevel by using this sharpener on it???

Bisch

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2017, 08:46:00 AM »
Yeah what Bisch asked...please let us know.

I shoot single beveled Centaurs, similar to the Simmons, and that was what I was thinking about this sharpener in reading this post.

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2017, 09:43:00 AM »
I went from Centaur heads to the Cutthroats because I couldn't get them sharp,sharp. Both of them are great heads. I, too am wondering if the Rada would work on the Centaurs.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2017, 09:46:00 AM »
I have watched Pat (PDK25) sharpen a single blade with them.  I haven't ever shot a single bevel, so I wouldn't know. Hopefully he will be along soon to show y'all his tricks, as he showed me.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »
You won't know until you give it a try. It ain't rocket science.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2017, 11:10:00 AM »
I called RADA and asked them what the angle was for this sharpener, and was told 38*. I am assuming that means 19* for each bevel???? I have never seen any knife sharpener that sharpens at a 38* bevel for each side. I hope I am correct. If so, it will perfectly match all the heads I now use.

Bisch

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2017, 12:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the video Daniel. I can never sharpen those curves blades. Going to try these out on my deltas and maybe even get a few tree sharks for the turkey season now that I might have a chance of getting them sharp.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2017, 02:01:00 PM »
Bought 2 off there website best sharpeners I've ever used,and with shipping I don't think I paid over $14.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:

Originally posted by highlow:
How is it possible that this sharpener can work on a single bevel? It cuts a double bevel as it sharpens??? It seems to me that you would just essentially slowly be turning your single bevel into a double bevel by using this sharpener on it???

Bisch [/b]
I'm guessing it does in fact put a slight bevel on the non beveled (flat) side of a single bevel head.   When I sharpen a single bevel by hand I do the same thing...sharpen the beveled side until I raise a slight burr on the flat side then take the burr off using light strokes on the flat side (at an angle).   The slight bevel that forms on the flat side is barely even visible and has no effect on the rotation caused by the large beveled side.   The Rada probably does the exact same thing.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »
Regarding single bevel blades, this is how I use them.  First of all, you must already have a good bevel set. Where this sharpener shines, is removing the Burr and just touching up the tip. You don't want to alter the bevel that is already set. Gentle strokes and keeping it straight will give you a very sharp edge, although perhaps not quite as sharp as a true single bevel, but you will retain all of the advantages of a single bevel Broadhead. I can promise you that it will still be exceedingly Sharp. Using this will eliminate the need for breaking out a file until the Broadhead has been considerably dulled up or gouged.  Even then, I use a file to bring up a burr and then very gently remove the burr with the RADA. You could play around angling the broadhead to more closely follow the bevel, but I find that to be a waste of time, and more difficult to maintain alignment.  Try this on a cutthroat broadhead right out of the package.  It really all is about something quick and convenient to me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©