3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: turkey face removers  (Read 675 times)

Offline Mark Colangelo

• Trad Bowhunter
turkey face removers
« on: February 11, 2017, 01:49:00 PM »
Hey y'all...I was wondering which brand and style of head loppers you prefer? I am considering the muzzy, the tom-bomb, and the magnus bullhead at this point. Heard that guillotines are fragile. Was hoping some of you could clue me in on successes or failures of head removal surgeries!
Mark C.

Javaman Elkheart, Bear Super Kodiak
BHA NWTF DU RMEF TRCP
Oregon State BS Fisheries & Wildlife
Society for Conservation Biology  
TSgt, USAF Active Duty

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: turkey face removers
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
Following this post...Idk if im brave enough to try it yet, but ive sure been thinking about it!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 02:20:00 PM »
I have used bullheads in the past and shot birds. Ended up going back to my VPAs. Turkeys are tough and shot choice and placement is critical no matter what style broadhead is used.  Good luck this spring!!

Offline Mark Colangelo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 11:04:00 PM »
I have seen a bunch of videos of people doing it, but people don't usually post unsuccessful hunts lol. I was hoping to find someone that has tried a few or had very good success with a certain broadhead.
Mark C.

BHA NWTF DU RMEF TRCP
TSgt, USAF Active Duty

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 12:03:00 AM »
Why not just use a big standard head like a big 3 or treeshark? Then you could try a head shot or body shot either one. just my two cents.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 07:11:00 AM »
I'd heed Warden609 very strongly.  He and a good friend of his are two of the most experienced, conscientious turkey traditional bowhunters I know.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 07:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Warden609:
I have used bullheads in the past and shot birds. Ended up going back to my VPAs. Turkeys are tough and shot choice and placement is critical no matter what style broadhead is used.  Good luck this spring!!
x2
shoot straight shoot often

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »
I sent a bullhead into a brush pile once ( on purpose of course    :D   ) can't tell that one from the brand new head. IMO very durable broadhead. Unfortunately that's the only experience I've had due to a dwindling turkey population

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »
There is a head on the market called a turkey lopper, by Hartcraft ( sold under several brand names).  I have been experimenting with it as an aerial head for pheasants and such.  The base head is a sort of standard replaceable blade head, and with certain blades could be used for deer, but with the lopper blades, which face forward, it is meant to do as you are asking.  So far they fly quite well out of an ASL longbow.  I shoot them at weed heads and such as well as at pheasants.  

Didn't have a lot of pheasant op's this year and although I removed tails and clipped wing feathers, did not kill one.

Might look at them.

Offline FAV 52

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 01:05:00 PM »
Only one I have any experience with is 125grn. Magnus Bullhead , killed 5 turkeys with same head , replaced one bent blade , other than that just touch up blades with stone and hunt .

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 03:54:00 PM »
I've tried to use bullheads the past 2 seasons - couldn't get a tom to cooperate with me, so my experience is with target practice. Shooting them at a pillow, & taping it up, like they suggest. I've broken 1 complete head and about 10 blades. Wouldn't call em durable.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 04:33:00 PM »
I've personally been through this dilemma as well.... Hit some Birds exactly where I was aiming and should have resulted in quick humane recoveries, not so... I then went the Magnus Bullhead route so I would either Kill it quick or not wound it, not so.... Had a beautiful mature strutter at 12 yards, I hit him in the crease of the bottom edge of waddles as it was tight to the body in strut. Hit him hard and he ran off. Blood at impact, two bloody bent blades & one broken blade on the bullhead... All day of searching with no recovery. I know the shot may not have been perfect, but it was within 1" or so of my intended spot. A good shot for sure and I wounded that Bird, heart breaking and sad to wound them... I am back to shooting them in the body with a heavy large diameter three blade. 250 Grain 1-1/4" VPA 3-Blade. Turkeys will always be challenging. Practice, practice, practice, and be PATIENT, PATIENT, PATIENT with your shot selection and KNOW the vital anatomy.... String trackers can be useful as well. I certainly can't argue with the success some have with head shot broadheads, but it is not risk free. Just an eyes wide open type of summary. Everyone must choose and have confidence in their setup....

Gobble, Gobble, the time is coming    :goldtooth:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 04:42:00 PM »
There was a good thread last year about shooting them in the Noggin and had some good info in it... Here was my response and some pics referring to Understanding Anatomy being the biggest deal no matter what you're shooting at... Everyone has their own experiences and convictions  :goldtooth:  

X3 for Whip... Again, understanding the anatomy is crucial... Here's a copy of a post I made on Season Update. I aimed for the top of the drumstick @15 yards...

The VPA 250 Grain 1-1/4"Cutting Diameter 3-Blade Broadheads are awesome.....

Entry is on the left (His Right Side) / Exit is on the right (His Left Side)

Close Up #1

Close Up #2

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 08:47:00 PM »
Someone needs to make a 3 blade version of the Simmons Treesharks... I think I'd shoot one of those at a turkey noggin!   :eek:
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »
I used the Palmer Extreme Cut broad head on my turkey I got last year. The broad head looks like an over sized Phantom and it worked great. I picked up a string tracker to use this year just in case the shoot isn't perfect.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 12:35:00 PM »
I've killed two turkeys with the same bullhead and it's ready for number three come spring. All I've had to do is touch up the blades and not much at that.

I haven't tried other loppers, but I can vouch for the bullheads. Like any head, shot placement is critical, but a turkey's head is about as big as his vitals. I've seen several run off with body shots. One was with my arrow! I hunt with FAV52 and we are 7-7 with Bullheads so far. You'd be hard pressed to get either of us to switch.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Mark Colangelo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 04:50:00 PM »
looks like im sticking with the bullheads!
Mark C.

BHA NWTF DU RMEF TRCP
TSgt, USAF Active Duty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©