3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: big jims hot melt  (Read 934 times)

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: big jims hot melt
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 07:11:00 AM »
I have problems with it too. I clean inside shaft and insert with acetone too. I'm using gold tip shafts and 50gr brass inserts. I suspect it is the inserts though because they slide in real easy. I don't know, but the stuff really frustrates me. I've had them pull out of bag targets!!! I love it for tuning though. Makes it easy. I've suspected it is made by point and insert companies cause it has sure made them money off of me.
Yesterday I watched Big Jims video on using it and him shooting into pine trees with it. I would have lost all points and inserts if I'd have done that. I wish I could figure it out.
Jim

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 07:25:00 AM »
Super glue for me on carbons. Clean them and glue them. Quicker and less messy. Never had any to come apart on normal everyday shooting.
High on Archery.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 11:51:00 AM »
Never had any problem with it either. I liked it for tuning because they were easy to get out. Once I have them the way I like them I use the Gorilla glue version of super glue,it's just faster and easier,and it holds really well also.

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 05:29:00 PM »
I have problems with it too. I clean inside shaft and insert with acetone too. I'm using gold tip shafts and 50gr brass inserts. I suspect it is the inserts though because they slide in real easy. I don't know, but the stuff really frustrates me. I've had them pull out of bag targets!!! I love it for tuning though. Makes it easy. I've suspected it is made by point and insert companies cause it has sure made them money off of me.
Yesterday I watched Big Jims video on using it and him shooting into pine trees with it. I would have lost all points and inserts if I'd have done that. I wish I could figure it out.
Jim

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »
Big Jim's is the best there is. I don't think I've lost an insert since I started using it a couple years ago. I don't prep either.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 08:58:00 PM »
sounds like you need more heat
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 08:59:00 AM »
Your inserts should slide in your shaft with just a little pressure..not much at all, but they shouldn't just fall in and certainly not rattle around.

Need to clean the shaft and the insert as has been said.

A lighter always seems to leave soot on the glue for me.
The soot floats to the surface of the glue.
Basically puts a nice coat of graphite between the glue and whatever you're trying to adhere to.

I use an alcohol burner to negate that.
...actually I use a small metal cap from a Hoppe's gun solvent bottle. Put a little methanol in it, light it and use the flame.

...I don't recommend doing that..you spill a flaming cup of alcohol and you could have a real problem.
I happen to have a steel table in the middle of a concrete room with nothing flammable around...cept me (welding table)

anyway..the alcohol gives a nice soot free flame.
As long as you don't burn the glue (just hot and slightly bubbly) you'll be good.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
Dont use acetone on carbon shafts either. Denature or 91% iso.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 05:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pointer:
Big Jim's is the best there is. I don't think I've lost an insert since I started using it a couple years ago. I don't prep either.
Same here. I just heat the insert and the glue with a torch, make sure the glue is runny hot, stick them together. One thing that may be causing problems is if you twist the inserts in. I've had the best luck just jamming them straight into the shaft then letting them cool. Great stuff!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 06:28:00 PM »
I use an alcohol burner, heat the insert and the glue, apply glue to insert, heat the insert again and slide it in, let it cool and peel off the roll that comes out. I watched big jim's video and he holds the insert with his fingers so I know I'm at least that hot. I screw in a point and hold it with channel locks. I shot today and had one pull out from a bag target. Big Jim shoots them into a pine tree with an 80 lb bow and they don't pull out. I'm wondering if I got a bad stick. I gotta tell you guys, I've called the stuff some names and it ain't " great wonderful stuff".
Jim

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 06:45:00 PM »
I have never had any problems with Big Jim's glue. I do clean out points before using them. I burn them out in the flame and then wipe any soot that may accumulate.
Sam

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2017, 06:50:00 PM »
No issue here either: I simply heat the insert lightly and quicly with a propane torch, then rub the insert on the glue using pliers, position in the shaft and then cool instantly in water

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2017, 07:16:00 PM »
It's the best I've found to date. Never any issues yet after 4 years. Try switching from your lighter to a torch.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 07:18:00 PM »
Agree the lighter can be the problem, denatured alcohol burner for me.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 09:30:00 PM »
I can't tell you for sure what is causing your problem.
I will say that I only clean CX shafts...never anything else as I've not found it necessary. I very never had to score them either. We always use a torch, but I'm sure that is not necessary. ..maybe it's the lighter. We don't skimp on glue either.....that's it...period. never all call back either.
Thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2017, 08:47:00 AM »
Let me guess. They are Gold Tips. For some reason they are hard to keep the inserts in. I now shoot Centershots and have NEVER lost an insert. Bill

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »
Yes, gold tips. I can 5 min epoxy them in and end of problem but lose the flexibility of making changes.
Jim

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2017, 06:59:00 PM »
And, cool down the fix with cool water before going further. Never had a single problem with Big Jim's hotmelt on my woodies, but hot melt can, and will, expand and move stuff when cooling, if you don't control the cooling.
Not that I want you thinning the availability of my beloved wood shafts NHbuck... but honestly. you might be a candidate for shooting wood.. More simple, which, if I may be so bold, suggest it might make things easier for you.

Offline Terry Johnston

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2017, 04:05:00 PM »
be sure and rough up the inside of the shaft, it will stick fine then.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2017, 01:25:00 AM »
I only shoot gold tips and never have a problem with the inserts coming out. I never clean the shafts or rough the up either. As I said earlier, I suspect that either your not getting enough glue or not getting the glue hot enough....just a guess cause I've not had a problem.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©