3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Favorite Hunts You've Been On?  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Favorite Hunts You've Been On?
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 11:20:00 PM »
I must say that I fall into the elk hunting category.  For me nothing else gets me going like elk in Sept.  Although I will say that couse deer in Jan. here is a close second.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 07:21:00 AM »
First mule deer hunt in Wyoming, 1981 near Lysite.  Have old VHS video of 176 mulies in an alfalfa field. I killed a 4 x 5 on day 3 of what would be an 18-day hunt.  Missed PY because of  6 inch "s-shaped" brow tine.   My two brothers and I had DIY blinds around the perimeter of this field. We could watch each other's action every morning until the field cleared and every evening as it filled up from the surrounding sage galleys and foothills.  

It was our first hunt out west. I killed a 4x5 on day 3. We had timed this hunt to catch 2 days of rifle season just in case.  Worked out that way for my little brothers, they ran out of arrows on day 16.

Made life-long friends with the rancher and hunted the place 5-6 times over the years. He had never seen a bowhunter before we arrived.

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 07:51:00 AM »
I have been rob Africa 3 times, and am scheming now trying to make it 4! There is no cooler place on earth for a bowhunter than Africa!!!!

Bisch

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 08:03:00 AM »
If I were limited to only one type of hunting for the rest of my days, it would be black bears in the north ga mountains. I dont really enjoy killing them much anymore but theyre so fun to hunt in our hills. And the action is pretty constant if the mast crop was favorable. Absolutely love waiting on grey light and hearing them in the trees, breaking branches and popping acorns.

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 09:25:00 AM »
No matter where or for what, any days afield with Joe Skaggs is an adventure.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2017, 09:41:00 AM »
That's simple, my favorite was the last one I went on, and my next favorite will be the next one I'll be on.  That's been my answer for 30+ years, and hopefully another 50 years.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 12:57:00 PM »
I backpacked in a few years back for caribou.  Didnt get one but was 20 yards to a couple dozen and managed to bag a few ptarmagin.  

This year i am hoping for my second sheep hunt and the proposed plan so far is Cold Fish lake in 2018.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2017, 01:18:00 PM »
If you are simply asking favorite routine hunt.... Opening morning of Kentucky's white-tail season.  

I sure like black bear hunts but I'm always confronted with what to do with the bear when dead. I had a Montana plant make sticks out of the last one. Have two skulls and one rug.  Don't need anymore of those. I haven't seen a shoulder or head mount that strikes my fancy.

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »
Elk in Colorado and Idaho, Bear in Alberta, Whitetail in Ohio. All with my son.
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 02:17:00 PM »
I don't travel much outside of CA to hunt.  But I visited an old friend in AR several years ago & spent an extended weekend hunting with him & getting to know his family.  That takes the cake of them all.

The next year, I hoofed it 8 miles early in the morning during a freezing ice storm.  Froze my rear off.  Only saw 2 does where it was legal to hunt (buck only).  Made it back to the car just after dark while it was raining & snowing.  One heck of an adventure!

This year, I spent a few days in a remote coastal canyon & got "serenaded" by a mountain lion near my camp.  Stalked in on a nice buck but he turned 90 degrees on his path & got downwind before I could cut him off.  Good times!

The destination is only the setting for the story.  Plenty of adventures within a short drive from here.  I feel like there's more to explore within a 3-hour radius than there is time to experience it in my lifetime.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 02:25:00 PM »
2 hunts come to mind.....Bear Quest #9 in 2015, fantastic time and I got my first trad Kill. The bear in my avatar was the reward. The other hunt was in 2011 with Cyclic rivers from this site. We did a self guided Elk hunt in Colorado. Camped at almost 10,000 feet and had a great time, the week just flew by. Those two were great.....but any hunt is a good hunt.   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »
Elk hunting in New Mexico!!!! The mountains, camping in wilderness, the toughness of the hunt, those majestic animals....Awesome!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2017, 04:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
If you are simply asking favorite routine hunt.... Opening morning of Kentucky's white-tail season.  

I sure like black bear hunts but I'm always confronted with what to do with the bear when dead. I had a Montana plant make sticks out of the last one. Have two skulls and one rug.  Don't need anymore of those. I haven't seen a shoulder or head mount that strikes my fancy.
Ive killed a good many of them but I cant ever seem to throw a hide or a skull away. Just keep getting hides tanned and skulls eurod. I like the tanned hides a lot. Not really into taxidermy anymore, although I am getting a full body javelina done this year. (Long story but it took me two trips driving from ga to AZ to even put a tag on one).  I dont even mount deer anymore. Just cut the rack off and put it on a plaque if its nice enough.

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 05:01:00 PM »
All of my past hunts  are memorable.  They are favorites for different  reasons.  I am sure all the future hunts will be the same.   The one that I think about most are mule deer. They are my nemesis. If I never get one that is all right, they have provided many memories.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »
If I bear hunt again I'll have to try the "tanned" route. Yes, I always keep the skulls. It is such a different hunt being in the spring.

A perfect recurve/lb hunt too as the shot can be set up at any angle and distance the hunter prefers.

Offline wigeon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 06:07:00 PM »
elk hunting in colorado with my son and tradgang friends

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 06:56:00 PM »
Wouldn't mind doing this again.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2017, 09:01:00 PM »
I am really a big fan of huntig spruce hens and rabbits with a long bow in Alaska. lots of action. lots of fun.
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2017, 12:24:00 PM »
My annual hunt to South Texas. I just love it.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2017, 03:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friend:
Spot and stalk for red stag on the NZ North Island.
Oh man!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©