3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you remember your  (Read 873 times)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Do you remember your
« on: February 16, 2017, 09:31:00 PM »
First encounter with a big game critter with a trad bow in hand?

I was squirrel hunting, no deer tag, when I slipped up on a deer about ten feet across a small ditch. We looked at each other for a long moment and she trotted away. I was forever changed in that moment but it was many many moments before I took a deer with a bow.

I was packing a green solid glass bow by Bear and some wood arrows. 1973      :cool:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you remember your
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 09:51:00 PM »
Back in 1973, deer were scarce in my locale.

Was on my first deer hunt with a Shakespeare Sierra in hand. Was in a tree standing on a 2 x 8 board. Actually saw a doe 20 yards out. The adrenaline was pumping in full gear. Thank goodness I was so unnerved that I didn't attempt a shot.

The cherished memory never seems to escape me and I am thankful that it has remained intact.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 10:25:00 PM »
The first time that I saw a deer while hunting with a recurve was on the very last day of season. I had seen many deer throughout season, but that was with wheels.

I was sitting on a power line that the deer walked, and saw a doe come out about 100 yards down from me. She turned and started coming my way, and by the time she had shortened the distance to 96 yards, I was shaking like a leaf. At about 40 yards, she stopped and turned like she was going to go into the woods. I've never prayed so hard in my life as I did trying to turn that deer. She eventually wandered off the powerline without ever coming within range. I'll never forget that hunt. After experiencing the adrenaline rush of hunting with a trad bow, my compound hasn't seen the woods since.

I wasn't sure whether you wanted first trad bow or first bow encounter. I'd write about some of my compound experiences, but I don't think that would be allowed.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 10:45:00 PM »
Can't say as I remember that??? It would have been with a wheel bow because that is what I started with. I did not get enlightened till after a few years of shooting those wheels.

I can remember the first critter I took with a trad bow though. It is burned in my memory like it was yesterday, and I can honestly say that at that point in time, I knew I was a trad shooter/hunter for good!!!

Bisch

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 10:57:00 PM »
I can't recall my first encounter. I'd be willing to bet that the deer spotted me from a long distance and was laughing as it ran way. Seemed to happen a lot that first year of solo hunting with a bow.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 07:11:00 AM »
First deer I encountered while bowhunting was when I was 13. Sitting on a bucket and a nice buck came in and snorted. Scared the living crap out of me lol.never got an arrow off. Fun memories.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 07:28:00 AM »
I do - had a buck come by eating and I drew back to take the shot, released and the arrow stuck in a little 2" rotten dead tree between me and the deer, I believe it was a perfect shot and never even saw that little tree.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 07:43:00 AM »
Yup in 1963, I missed a doe by 10 feet at 10 yards in an open field. LOL, I was 15 years old. Bow was a Super Black Hawk made by Cravatta brothers in McKeesport, Pa.

I remember my first buck encounter a few years later. I had a full draw 30 second stare down with a spike at 15 feet while on the ground. After about 30 seconds he started to walk away and I shot under him. He ran 5 yards and stopped and I shot over him, he ran 5 yards and stopped and I shot under him. He ran 5 yards and stopped and I yelled at him, "You win now get the hell out of here." LMAO, he shook his head and slowly moved on.

And then there was the time that 3 bucks came walking into my stand together. LOL, that was another jem..  :)  After they all left "without a scratch", the ground looked like Custer's last stand with all the arrows sticking up in the dirt.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 08:40:00 AM »
Yep; I've only hunted last 3 seasons with trad gear so that's easy. It was an 8 point broadside; went right over top - looked at the whole animal instead of picking a spot.   :banghead:
SWA Spyder

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 08:47:00 AM »
Yep.....1968, a 3 point I sneaked up on and jumped him from his bed. Ran and turned to look back at me. I drew my Browning Nomad Stalker with a cedar arrow and a Bear Razorhead and let it rip.   :archer2:   Shot right under his brisket. He took off like a scalded dog.....lol. I didn't have another shot for over 40 years.........   :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »
I cannot say I remember the first deer I encountered but I do remember my first hunt with a 40# Shakespeare recurve.  I was 14 (only hunter in family back then) and my Dad dropped me off by myself at my grandpa's farm on his way to work.  I roamed the woods all day that day with bow in hand.  Great day and still have that bow some 41 years later...Geeez 41 years :-)

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 09:25:00 AM »
Yep. A big old doe. I spined her with the first shot. Emptied my quiver after that. It was not a fun experience. Ill just leave it at that.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 10:05:00 AM »
Nope. 50 years ago. Can't remember last week all that well! Lol
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 11:13:00 AM »
Yes, but I dislike remembering misses!  I was in 9th grade and I couldn't drive so my mom drove out to a section of woods and dropped me off for a late afternoon hunt.  I was sitting on a limb in a scraggly tree about 6 ft off the ground.  A couple of antlerless deer came feeding towards me.  I took a poor shot but fortunately completely missed the deer.

My hunting was very sporadic as I had no drivers license.  But, three weeks before  I volunteered for the Army,  I shot my first deer with the same bow, a 40lb Shakespeare Wonderbow.  I drilled a broadside shot and the buck went about 50 yards or so.  Interestingly,  I was within 100 yards of my first attempt.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
My first encounter with big game and a trad bow occurred in 2005. It was the first year I hunted with a trad bow. Got off work and put on my early bow season hunting clothes ( clean work uniforms I keep at work in a tote). Sitting on ground on a fence row, a huge buck comes out in bean field 30 minutes before sunset. Made a good shot and the woodsman head made a quick kill. Ended up being a 21" wide 7pt. 4 1/2 year old! That's all it took.   [/url] [/IMG]
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 06:20:00 PM »
My hunting buddy and I were scouting a lake we wanted to hunt during the archery season for moose. The sun had set and we were making our way slowly back to the canoe launch when we heard a blood curdling scream that echoed down the lake.
I said " What the **** was that? " . My buddy said cow moose. We looked around and saw an antler catching the last bit of sunlight on the other shore. As we moved slowly toward him, we saw the cow nearby, standing in the lake. As we got closer, the cow took off into the bush and the bull looked like he was about to follow her. My buddy said  " do that antler thing with your hands ". As soon as I did that, the bull turned back toward us and now we were almost in range.
My borrowed longbow was in the middle of the boat behind me and I couldn't turn to grab it as I had the bull's attention with my "antlers". Finally, the bull had enough and turned to leave and gave us a nice broadside. My buddy was standing on the back seat and released an arrow just as the bull stepped into a hole. There was a crack and the bull ran off into the trees. He made a huge racket in there and we were sure he was down, but there was no moose to be found. We spent several hours the next day searching for sign, but there was nothing. The arrow must have gone over his back and glanced off a tree before disappearing into the thick moss.
There are no words to describe the rush I felt, and still feel when I see a moose up close!
These days the bow rides in front of me in the boat.    :)  
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 07:45:00 PM »
Kenny my experience was similar to yours. I was just a kid actually and my father would take me along with him just so I wouldn't feel left out because my brothers were old enough to hunt already. I was probably 9 or 10 at the time and I also had an all fiberglass bow..a yellow Pearson Jet. He let me have one broadhead arrow...it was one of his..a Bear cedar arrow tipped with an original razorhead. He told me I could use it on a squirrel or grouse if we saw one. Well we saw plenty of squirrels but none in range and there were no grouse that day but a big fat doe came by. This was gun season in NY and my father did not have a doe tag so all we could do was watch. If I think hard enough I can still remember how my heart was pounding as this deer came by. I talked about it for days afterwards with anyone who would listen. What a rush..I was hooked that day and never looked back

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »
I think I had Ben Pearson arrows bought at a Gibson store in town. They were orange but cant remember what the broadheads looked like.

I probably had $15 in my hunting equipment!!   :biglaugh:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline awishanew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »
I was in a tree stand about 17 paces from a trail I was watching. This 2pt. WT came out and stood broadside. I pulled my CH 52# recurve back and let fly. The deer just ducked and my arrow hit the tree and stuck in The deer ran less than 20yds. and came back and sniffed the the fletching.I was shaking so hard I coulden't pull the bow. The deer started to go up up a small hill and I shot again. He neatly ducked again and I saw my arrow go off in the snow to never land. That deer never knew I was there and I learned a lot that day.I figured I had to be closer.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 09:30:00 PM »

I think I have enough points to elk hunt out there again this year. Should know in a month or so.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©