3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back quiver or side quiver????  (Read 813 times)

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Back quiver or side quiver????
« on: February 18, 2017, 05:23:00 PM »
A question for those of you that use a back quiver, or a side quiver.  Which one do you prefer and why, and also how does it work for you for hunting. I use a small back pack for hunting so I'm not sure how either would work for me.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Online Chad R

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back quiver or side quiver????
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 05:47:00 PM »
As I've gotten older I can't reach arrows in my back quiver.  Just bought a quiver from Rod Jenkins in Kalamazoo and could not be happier.  I wore it thru the crowd and at their 3D shoot and it was out of the way and super easy to get arrows in and out of.

Offline Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 05:53:00 PM »
Back quiver for hunting or 3D works for me.  Just never tried anything else.  Much easier maneuvering through brush and limbs tucking it under my bow arm.
Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline Bamboozle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 06:40:00 PM »
Maybe try a Catquiver? Easy to get an arrow out....a little harder to put it back. You also have a pack for all your goodies. I also really like a GFA style quiver I made myself.
Get bamboo.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 06:44:00 PM »
Back quivers look cool and can carry more than arrows but I never liked using one. I have a few but use them to hold some of my arrows. I use a stalker style for target and 3D but a GFA style for hunting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 06:44:00 PM »
Side quiver if I don't use a bow quiver.  Far west leather had a real nice one at Kzoo expo.   I would give it serious consideration.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 07:04:00 PM »
Side.  Back quivers are not compatible with day packs and larger.

But, I'm going to make a back quiver for roving and general cool factor.   :)
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Dave Nash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 07:14:00 PM »
Have the Far West and like it alot.Just works for me better than back quiver.
Dave
Great Plains t/d longbow 64"46@28
A&H acs 64"41@28
Stalker Coyote 64"43@28
Wapiti  Spike 66"47@28

Offline bcwilly2003

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 07:20:00 PM »
I've used back quivers and side quivers. The best by far I've found is the Bowmate, by Palmer bow works. You can use it on your back, side or strap it to your backpack.

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 07:46:00 PM »
I use a GFA side quiver for hunting and a back quiver for roving and 3d shoots.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 08:52:00 PM »
I have used back quivers, but can't say they've ever agreed much with me.  If stump shooting I can't tell what arrow (different tips for different targets) I'm grabbing.  Also, if I have to go under a low tree, etc, they have a tendency to catch on things.  For broadheads, unless there's foam or something in the bottom, the heads can be striking each other and getting dull.

I have used various side quivers extensively and like them a lot.  Side and bow quivers are pretty much the only ones I use now.
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »
I have never used a back quiver so I  dont know about them.  I tried a Safari tuff side quiver- liked  it- then  after awhile decided to go with bow quivers and sold it.

I  bought the duiker a couple of  years ago and like the size better.  But with either one of the Safari Tuff models I really like the pouch, but even more so I like being able to keep my arrows dry.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 11:33:00 PM »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 11:46:00 PM »
I've used both and prefer the back quiver but they have to be made right and fit right.  I saw a video of a long time archer trying to use a back quiver that wasn't made or adjusted right and it was painful to watch.

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 07:08:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I have a cat quiver and it does have its good points, but also its bad points.  I looked at the ones at the show in Kazoo, I had one in my hands, then put it back. I have looked at the GFA ones also, but wasn't sure how they would be for working through brushy spots.  Ron, that looks like a really slick quiver, I really like the way you can free your hands up if need be.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 07:29:00 AM »
For roving/stumping and small game, it's hard to beat a back quiver. When I'm wearing a pack, however, I much prefer either a Safarituff or a leather side quiver that I got from KC Kreger (Oklahomaleatherman). I really love the back quiver because it just screams 'tradition', but when wearing a pack, they just don't work. My side quiver that I got from KC is a beautiful piece of leather classiness. The Safarituff is very functional, and the storage pouch makes it even moreso.
I also have an Asbell side quiver, but, although a good, functional piece of equipment, it collects dust while my other quivers get used regularly.
So many choices...
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Terry Johnston

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 09:48:00 AM »
I really prefer a back quiver for just general shooting, but not for hunting...As others have said they have to be adjusted right for you..

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 10:45:00 AM »
I just got a Legacy Denali back quiver. Had it out once so far think it may work for me. I would get one with the 3 straps (guess that's how I'll describe it) so you can adjust it so it stays where you put it. I like the side quivers fine for 3D but don't care for them for hunting.
SWA Spyder

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 12:24:00 PM »
I shoot hill style so I use a back quiver. BUT I prefer bow  mounted quivers like my thunder horns when deer hunting.mostly because I always have a backpack or stand on my back. Small game and roving night thing beats my back quiver. I got mine from Art at Cedar Ridge. Awesome quivers

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 06:53:00 PM »
I have, and like, and use, both. depends. Love my back quiver, but... Judo's can get tangled up in it when drawing (solved this by securing all but the one i'm shooting with a leather thong), and it won't work with a daypack. Possibles bag yes, daypack no.

Side quiver works with a pack, but again, arrow removal can be tricky (see solution above: works here too).

There's always a compromise.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©