3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sharpening tanto tip (Grizzly Broadheads)  (Read 571 times)

Offline Nomis

• Trad Bowhunter
Sharpening tanto tip (Grizzly Broadheads)
« on: February 19, 2017, 08:03:00 PM »
have some Grizzly heads and was wondering how to sharpen the tanto tip? I've seen some pictures where people with round the tip off and others where they will keep it. I have a couple that I am practicing on, and the tanto just seems to round off (Probably cause I am sharpening straight down to the point). Is there a right or wrong way or is it just preference?

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sharpening tanto tip (Grizzly Broadheads)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »
The Grizzly heads I've worked with, just naturally come to a tanto point from the angle of the single bevel on each side. You shouldn't really have to do much of anything to form it, its already there. Can you post a pic?

Offline Nomis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 09:34:00 PM »

Offline Nomis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
one on the left is rounded.

on the right still has the point

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 10:44:00 PM »
Well, I wouldn't say there is right and wrong here, after all, they are your heads, you can shape or sharpen them how ever you wish.

I like to hold the original shape when sharpening.I learned, that if I keep the exact same angle from end to end, the blades get sharp and hold the tanto tip integrity. Its easy to get a little inconsistent at either end, so its a little tricky by hand. I use a file, and strop. All you need to really do, is raise a good bur on the blade across the entire edge. Then alternate sides staying true with bevel and the flat, increasingly ever so light pressure, until the bur is so thin, the file cuts it off when it comes to such a fine peak that it forms a true edge. With a good bur, you can often see it lift off, as it looks like a shiny hair. Anyway, to keep the true tanto, just follow the original bevel end to end with equal pressure, its that easy. This head needs a little more work and shine, but its shaving off hair easily as it is with nothing more then the file. Note the tanto has kept its full original shape.

The tanto, is suppose to be one of the most stabil/tough tip designs...I dont worry about sharpening the very tip edges of the tanto, and leave them to chisel.

Offline Nomis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 11:02:00 PM »
Thank you. Very helpful information.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 10:15:00 AM »
Excellent post by Shadowhnter.      :thumbsup:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 10:00:00 PM »
Hey Braveheart...when you gonna carry Grizzly broadheads again?  Just wondering....   :bigsmyl:
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 06:55:00 PM »
Well I have been thinking about it....   :dunno:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 08:41:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »
There are guys around here , including me at times, that use the original instructions with the new heads.  Not saying anything at all against  having hairless arms or a big bald spot on your neighbor's cat, but it is a very deadly design with any keen edge.  Personally the one of mine that is on the bow string also has a fine serration from the beveled side, done with a bastard file with the a safe edge that has the file teeth sticking out.   Another uses a chain saw file and then dresses the back side with a couple of light strokes to clean up the edge, he has had such good blood trails that he refuses to sharpen any other way.   I cannot argue when considering his short and heavy blood trails.  It all works with a design that is this good.  If you have rounded the tanto head, it is possible to fix it with a file.  I find that if I use a broad head arrow holder as sold by 3 Rivers, it is easier to make machine like file strokes, so the corners are not rounded.  It is also possible to control the stroke so that the back edges do not get narrowed.  I see it many times where the trailing edge of the head gets more metal removed than the laminated tip section.  As long as it is equal and the head is still balanced, it is no big deal, but I find that taking a little bit of care this rounding of the back edge can be avoided and a straight edge can be maintained after repeated resharpening.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©