3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Valentine's Day Hunt at Wild Things!  (Read 627 times)

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Valentine's Day Hunt at Wild Things!
« on: February 20, 2017, 11:53:00 AM »
The tribe from PA met for our annual trip to hunt hogs in the SC swamps! We left cold, wind, and snow behind. What we had ahead of us was temps in the 60's and 70's with clear sky's and sunshine!

Andrew greeted us and we were soon settled in. We have been here many times so it doesn't take long to get into hunting mode. We each had an idea where we wanted to go and which stands we would sit each day.

We found a fairly dry swamp, lots of acorns, and wary hogs. They just were not coming to the feeders as in the past. Some of the guys hunted early and late and had some action but no shots. Still hunting was tough in the dry crunchy leaves.

By the end of the week hogs were located near the river in the thickest of the thick. Lots of sign and hogs running but tough to see or shoot. We each saw hogs, 69 in all. One shot taken at a big red boar with a clean miss.

A gimpy black boar nearly ran over Bob on a game trail. He could only swat at it with his bow as it nearly bowled him over! Within minutes the same hog was bearing down on me as I walked on the road. It stopped in range but behind cover. I held full draw as it busted out with no shot opportunity. Wow!

Each day was full of adventure, each evening was full of laughter, wonderfull dinners, and star filled campfires. We had a great time as good friends do in spite of the tough hunting.

It wasn't the St Valentines Day Massacre we hoped for but it sure was fun!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Valentine's Day Hunt at Wild Things!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 02:16:00 PM »
Love stories of adventure at Wild Things!

Thanks for sharing
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 07:34:00 PM »
The Camp (h)Ambush gang will be there in 3 weeks. Really looking forward to it.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 10:31:00 AM »
Good luck to you and the MI crew!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 11:45:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing! Love hog hunting, and it REALLY IS the journey, the EXPERIENCE, and not the destination.

:thumbsup:    :clapper:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 12:04:00 PM »
Although putting a critter in an ice chest is sort of an end goal, there is a whole lot more to it that determines success or failure! Sounds like yours was a success, even with no critters in the cooler!

Bisch

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 04:42:00 PM »
Its been tough hunting in Florida this year too.
Guess Im not the only one.
Not sure if its weather...windy this year.
Lots of acorns around...big big crop.
And theres been some rifle hunters aroind.
As if they need any help to be nocturnal.
Good luck out there.
Irv Eichorst

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 01:10:00 AM »
When you can spend a week with your best friends in such a beautiful place killing a hog is just icing.

The cake is pretty darned good too!

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 12:36:00 PM »
Yeah, when the acorns are dropping and ample food is around it is tough to get on the hogs if they experienced any pressure at all. They just lay low until night. Too bad you didn't find a sow in heat since that will keep the boars moving with her.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
Good luck to you and the MI crew!
Thanks David!
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline keng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 09:18:00 AM »
I made my second trip to Wild Things with the tribe. Once again my trip was shorter than I would have liked due to marrying way up and having great kids as a result.
In three days, I had a small sow with a pocket pig in tow at 15 yards, a big hog closer than that winded me before a shot presented itself, a 4 foot gator at 20 feet, and lost count on how many gobblers I saw and heard.
I hung out with friends, sharing cocktails and great food and enjoying Andrew's amazing hospitality. I got to tour the property with Charles while checking stands while picking his brain for tips and pointers.
The only bad thing is that I have to wait 51 long weeks till I can see the swamp come to life in the morning again, and the night critters wake up as the sun goes down.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©