3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DIY elk?  (Read 1228 times)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
DIY elk?
« on: February 20, 2017, 12:05:00 PM »
OK Daughter and me going on a DIY elk hunt in 2018 (just cant pull it off this year).

Question is should I apply for a preference point for 2017 so I have one in my pocket when I apply for 2018? is it worth it.

I am just hoping really to do a OTC tag - daughter wants to go see the stars! THAT is what got this started? course she hunts too. She keeps looking at Aron Snyders photography and wants to see a starry night like the photos! LOL told her it was like that where we are from back in Texas. just not here in NC - SOOOOO I said if we went elk hunting back country we could  camp under those skies! she is down with it -

advice on applying? digging in Colorado wildlife website now trying to follow the rules.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, I will be 45yr old when I go and maybe daughter will love it enough to make it a yearly thing?.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: DIY elk?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 12:41:00 PM »
You can't be sure at this point if the point would be worth it or not, so long term thinking says "yes".  Both of you should apply.  You may not use the points in 2018, but if you plan to do this annually, the points will grow and may be useful in the future.  

Any years that I plan for OTC, I still apply for something just for the point.  In that case the app is for something that is impossible to draw.

Also, applying allows you to participate in the "leftover draw".  Look that up on the website.

Just a note, the 2017 big game brochure is available for download at this time.  

Many OTC units have good hunting opportunities for those who plan to get into the Backcountry and be prepared to stay awhile   and be mobile
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Cy14561

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 12:51:00 PM »
Even if you plan on going otc, it's always good to have points in your pocket, you may want to hunt mule deer or a good elk unit down the road.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »
She will only be 11 so not sure she needs a point? been reading the info on their website and guess I put in the code that really means I just want a point and pay the fee associated? they will refund my money and let me have the point in the end minus 40$??

I have never done an out of state anything? so flying blind!

Figure take a chance to draw next year then by OTC of dont get drawn and have 2  points?

Thanks yall
Always be stubborn.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »
I can tell you that I wish my dad would have started putting me in for preference points when I was 11. I would be hunting a premier unit by now.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 04:27:00 PM »
Look into Idaho.  They have ample OTC tags AND they have a non-resident junior hunting tags that are cheap (elk $40 dollars!).    Essentially if you buy a non-resident elk tag, she goes elk hunting (with her own tag) for $40.

Cannot beat that.

Regarding points, they will be useless in '18.  You just simply need more than one point for most places that matter for most states.  However, as noted, you may want to build them separately of this hunt so some day you two can take a great hunt in a special area.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 10:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by fireball31:
I can tell you that I wish my dad would have started putting me in for preference points when I was 11. I would be hunting a premier unit by now.
Cool, was t sure I could! If I can it will be done
Always be stubborn.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 10:10:00 PM »
Good stuff y'all, appreciate it all, been digging and researching like crazy. Lotta info to dig through!
Always be stubborn.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 09:45:00 AM »
I think kids have to be twelve (minimum age to hunt big game) before you can put in for points in Colorado. I would think a one ore two point unit would be better than OTC but I am not familiar with them.  I either hunt OTC or higher point units.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 01:00:00 PM »
What Kadbow said. My opinion is. Always get the points. Especially for deer as you need to apply to hunt them. There's nothing for OTC mulies in the mountains and the more points you have the better. Archery elk, we have a huge amount of OTC units. But like me and some others those might be areas you'll want to avoid due to high pressure and hi traffic. Yes these days the DOW is keeping a bit more of your $$$ for the application fee if you didn't buy a license the year before. But that point has a "time" value too. If you only plan to make 1 trip and only hunt OTC you might want to consider saving your $$.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 01:51:00 PM »
She can apply for any tag when she is 11 as long as she would be 12 at least by the last day of the season applied for.  That lets her get a one year jump on collecting points and you and she would then have the same number of points.

That matters because if in the future the two of you want to apply together as a "group", the app is allowed the number of preference points based on the co applicant with the least points.

Talking Colorado only here.  The whole points and draw probabilities is it's very own science.   :biglaugh:
Monterey

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 02:12:00 PM »
Get the points. Points limit people. People ruin elk hunting...

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 09:50:00 PM »
Get the points in CO and WY; in WY they are pretty reasonable for youth and carry over when they turn 18.  In MT, they had a good deal where a youth was given a combo elk/deer tag at a low price, if the parent drew the same.  But MT also required a bowhunter Ed certificate.  CO offers at least one really good youth elk hunt; the one I took my son on was in SE CO on a large private ranch with a wide variety of animals to see and excellent chance for a first elk.  Millions of stars to see; the Milky Way seemed almost close enough to touch!  My son loved that.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 11:28:00 AM »
OK I am gonna be full of dumb questions!

1. Pg 32 of the CO wildlife hunting regs sayd I put in code E-P-999-99-P if I JUST want a preference point and not a tag? So I put this in for myself and daughter this yr and get the point? Pay the fees ect.. of course.

2. ACTUAL TAGS? in 18 I get a tag either draw or OTC? I remember hearing something about getting a "b" tag as extra for a cow in case I got a chance at a cow? I am hunting meat? care less about horns really. can any of yall elaborate on that? readng it here in the book but it is confrusing.

Thansk yall

Last question? I am in good to above averge physical shape? BUT I also live at SEA LEVEL! maybe slightly below it. I can walk forever without breaking a sweat, I dont anticipate a problem getting into the mountains (tongue in cheek as I have never been at altitude??) but what about if I got lucky enough to shoot one???? getting meat out.
What is a reasonable distance that I DONT want to go farther for fear of meat spoilage? taking into account I have "sea level lungs"! Understand I can get packers whatnot but rather just be able to self rely and get it out myself.

Thanks for listening and helping! yall are awesome.
Always be stubborn.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Steve O:
Get the points. Points limit people. People ruin elk hunting...
Going to filling out app now! for both of us.
Always be stubborn.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 03:00:00 PM »

1. Pg 32 of the CO wildlife hunting regs sayd I put in code E-P-999-99-P if I JUST want a preference point and not a tag? So I put this in for myself and daughter this yr and get the point? Pay the fees ect.. of course.

2. ACTUAL TAGS? in 18 I get a tag either draw or OTC? I remember hearing something about getting a "b" tag as extra for a cow in case I got a chance at a cow? I am hunting meat? care less about horns really. can any of yall elaborate on that? readng it here in the book but it is confrusing.

Thansk yall

Last question? I am in good to above averge physical shape? BUT I also live at SEA LEVEL! maybe slightly below it. I can walk forever without breaking a sweat, I dont anticipate a problem getting into the mountains (tongue in cheek as I have never been at altitude??) but what about if I got lucky enough to shoot one???? getting meat out.
What is a reasonable distance that I DON'T want to go farther for fear of meat spoilage? taking into account I have "sea level lungs"! Understand I can get packers what seenot but rather just be able to self rely and get it out myself.  
#1. That's correct.  And, do it online in order to guarantee being error free!!!

#2.  You can hold an "A" and a "B" tag.  Your OTC either sex tag allows you to take a bull or cow.  The OTC cow tag is for a cow only.  So, with both tags you can shoot two cows or a cow and a bull.

The thing to review is the unit maps showing which are open to OTC cow and OTC either sex.  Many are open to both but not all.

Are you referring to unit 18?  If so, it is all OTC for archery elk.

Pretty hard to say about how you will do at altitude.  It depends on the elevation you are at.  You could be at 7000' to 11000'.  Most likely you will be hunting at 8000' to 10000'.  

Only thing you can do is get plenty of aerobic exercise before you go.

Learn the process for completely deboning an animal.  There are Utube vids I think.  A reasonably fit adult can carry a deboned elk out in two trips.  Add a third trip for head and/or hide.
Monterey

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
First yall are truly awesome!

I know it is just a 100pound whitetail but I kayak hunt and debone little deer before hauling them out and I strip them to the skeleton! Even rib meat, I don't get to kill a lot and don't like losing an ounce.

Tags I just want to be sure I got chance at whatever gets in front of me.

I am digging through units and just trying to find two or three to concentrate on. Tough to decide though!

Keep it up appreciate it all!
Always be stubborn.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 11:10:00 PM »
You can YouTube or google the "gutless" method for elk. I've used it a few times with great success. It's rather easy. And you'd be amazed at what leaving skeleton portions behind saves on weight and trips. It might benefit you to have your daughter start doing some backpacking day hikes too of shell be a long for the journey.  Carrying her own gear and water. And maybe something of elk quarter weight. So she can help get some meat out. By law you must take out all edible portions. With one person that might translate to 5 extra trips in and out. (Been there done that-not fun)

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 10:34:00 AM »
You have about 6 months to get ready; better drive a few hours west and hit the Appalachian Trail a few times with a loaded backpacks with your daughter.  Good opportunity to test your backpacking equipment, camping skills and most importantly your body's reaction to hiking with loaded backpack in difficult terrain.  Hint:  your body won't like it.  And when you get out to CO, the altitude is going to kill you for the first several days.  Better allow as much time as possible; a week is not enough.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 04:40:00 PM »
Get the points!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©