3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DIY elk?  (Read 1229 times)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DIY elk?
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 05:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jeff D. Holchin:
You have about 6 months to get ready; better drive a few hours west and hit the Appalachian Trail a few times with a loaded backpacks with your daughter.  Good opportunity to test your backpacking equipment, camping skills and most importantly your body's reaction to hiking with loaded backpack in difficult terrain.  Hint:  your body won't like it.  And when you get out to CO, the altitude is going to kill you for the first several days.  Better allow as much time as possible; a week is not enough.
Figuring ten days boots on the ground hunting, try to get 2 days there to start acclimating??? I have some time and a couple fly fishing trips into our mountains for some fly fishing.

I expect a butt whoopin!
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 07:02:00 PM »
True acclimation involves aerobic conditioning at altitude along with your body producing more red blood cells to carry more oxygen.

This was studied quite a few years with the test subjects being young people who worked daily at 14000 + feet.

But a couple days of acclimating will probably take some of the edge off.  Best prep is to train like a distance runner.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »
I am certainly gonna have a couple days on the ground before going in. Instead of driving might fly just for that reason.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©