3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ASL bows vs Hybrid bows vs recurves?  (Read 2584 times)

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
ASL bows vs Hybrid bows vs recurves?
« on: February 20, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »
First let me say this is not a which bow is better question. It is instead which do you prefer, and why question. Let's hear your opinions. So is it speed, accuracy, combo of both speed and accuracy? Ability to cast a nice heavy arrow better? Length of bow for your hunting style, ability to tune the bow and arrow combo easier? In General your bow of choice, and why you shoot the bow you shoot is what I'm interested in. Let's hear it.
USMC 82-86

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ASL bows vs Hybrid bows vs recurves?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 03:06:00 PM »
I'll go- D/R bow in the 64" range.

No stringer needed
Fast enuff
Can get the grip I like-medium
No shock
Quiet
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 03:18:00 PM »
Exactly what I am looking for. It is good to hear what makes a good bow for each individual.
USMC 82-86

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »
I like them all......hunt with them all.....shoot with them all. My favorite, I guess I would have to say I have a bunch of fun shooting Hill style bows. To me nothing says Trad Archery like a Hill style bow and a back quiver.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
I like my  recurves in 52-58" because of the profile when hunting  out of my tree stands. And I like 60-64" recurves for target and roving. I put prefer medium to high wrist grips and I like a bow with the lots of mass. That's mainly why I use recurves. Longbows are not for me as much as I like them. The are to light for me. My recurves are fast, hard hitting and real silent.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 04:33:00 PM »
For what I hunt and the way i hunt, being able to shoot very quickly and accurately, when required, is essential.  Hill style longbows.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 04:53:00 PM »
I like the longer slender bows. ASL-ish types like my 68" Toelke Super Ds and the Liberty English I test drove awhile back. I do like a good R/D bow but I prefer the slight feedback the bows mentioned above provide.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 07:13:00 PM »
ASL's for me - simple, light, stable, quick pointing, classic design, bomb proof, and they are easy to build yourself.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 07:19:00 PM »
Like Ron W, own and shoot them all. Hills are probably the most enjoyable for me to carry and shoot. When hunting in thick stuff, it's hard to beat a 58" recurve. Recently acquired a 64" r/d longbow and have to agree with kennym about their attributes. Additionally, with it being cut to center it is much more forgiving of spine than my hills.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 07:45:00 PM »
I shot recurves for several years until I picked a Kanati R/D longbow and I was sold!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 07:50:00 PM »
I am most consistent with my longer R/D bows but also enjoy the softer back end of the draw with my shorter static recurves and serve me well in tight quarters. I also prefer the recurve style grip, had a tough time with the ASL grips.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 07:53:00 PM »
I have several of each.  Probably do best with the ASLs on moving critters and small game.  I score a tad higher with recurves in 3D shoots.  Have been doing most of my hunting with hybrids the last 10 years or so, but will be moving to mild r/d longbows this coming season.  It's all good.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 08:00:00 PM »
For me, it's recurves. I'm the average guy with a 28" draw 5'9" tall. I've settled on a 60 inch length with a long heavy riser. If I had to give up the long heavy riser to get to 60" I'd go 62" ...when I'm hunting I've been happiest with the 58, 60, and 62 inch lengths. 58" is really nice and hardly gets in the way but sacrifices accuracy. 60 inches gets in the way sometimes but not often and is very shootable. 62" just gets in the way too often for me although it's very nice to shoot.

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 08:46:00 PM »
R/D longbow for me. It just feels better in my hand than any other kind of bow. I've tried a bunch over the years, and now narrowed it down to one, the Sarrels Blueridge takedown longbow. I got my first one in 2009, and other than a selfbow, Blueridges are the only new bows I have gotten since. I now have 4 of them.

Bisch

Online soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 09:24:00 PM »
I have and shoot all three. I shoot recuves a little better. I enjoy ASL bows the most. Just the simplicity of the Hill style I guess. They're all fun.
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 10:27:00 PM »
Although I shoot hybrids and recurves a bit better, truth be told, I much prefer to be walking around with a nice ASL in my hand. It is a feeling and it makes me feel good.  It just means I need to be a bit closer to my target.
ChuckC

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 11:11:00 PM »
I am a fan of a hybrid R/D long bow. I also have a soft spot for mild R/D bows.  AND nice vintage bear recurves.

1. My Coyote FXT is 62 inches and 49@28 with very reflexed limbs shoots smooth as butter and really moves an arrow. no stringer needed.

2. My Bear Montana is just a blast to shoot. and at 45lbs. puts an arrow through pigs and goats very well.

3. I have a rack of vintage bear recurves. I don't shoot them as well as my Coyote, but they are a classic kind of sexy that I like to walk around in the woods with from time to time.

4. Never shot a Hill Style bow... May have to fix that.

Msturm.
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 03:23:00 AM »
Sometimes I prefer ASLs,sometimes hybrids,sometimes recurves.Lately  its been 50s style recurves.I go through phases.Variety is the spice of life.Thier all superb and have their place.

When I 1st started years ago
I shot recurves for 2-3 years.Then mild R&Ds for 4-5 years.Then hybrids for a few years and then ASLs.Did Asian style for a few years like salukis.I will shoot anything!

Come hunting season I pick a bow and stick with it exclusively.That hunting bow could be any style

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 08:20:00 AM »
They're all great but I'm a huge D/R fan at heart.

Fast, tough, easy to quiet, accurate, and low shock. They're pretty darn close to my perfect hunting weapon.

I like the way they balance in my hand and carry through the woods. First deer I ever took with an arrow was with a hybrid. I've built and shot all of them but to me, the D/R have the best qualities of recurves and ASL combined.

Variety is the spice of life, though...

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 09:52:00 AM »
I have a 60" Tall Tines recurve, 64" r/d Liberty Chief, 62" 3 piece longbow and a 66" JD Berry Morning Star.

I like them all, but so far the Recurve is  more reliable in my hand.

Mostly I think if I spent more time with any one of them, I could be well satisfied with the resuits.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Users currently browsing this topic:

JoLo and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©