3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuning what changes to make (pic)  (Read 1036 times)

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuning what changes to make (pic)
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 12:29:00 AM »
I have your exact set up. Omega original 45lb @ 28" and I am pulling 27.5". I shoot 500 spine 3rivers trad onlys cut 30" with 175gr points, standard inserts and 3 5" fletching. My brace height is just a pinch over 6.5" I have shot the 600s but they were slightly too weak even with 85grain points.

Make sure you rest between grouping sessions to eliminate human error.

Offline Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 10:00:00 AM »
You guys must shoot alot of nocks off if you feel that needs adjusting!!! Holy Hell, how close you want them to be ??? If anything having them slightly weak prior to fletching is prefered, and that looks fine. If anything, id shoot larger groups, say 3 fletched and 3 bareshaft and see if you get seperate "groups". Id say your pretty much there and wouldnt do any cutting with that repeatable result.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 10:28:00 AM »
I went to a Fred Asbell Clinic at Black Widow years ago and watched Ken Beck give a "schooling" on bare shaft tuning. Was the most important thing I learned at the clinic. He loved Gold Tips and I watched him take a guys bow and get the right arrow set up and shot 30 yards bare shaft like a dart. If you bare shaft correctly you don't have to worry about arrow flight when your feathers get wet either.

The purpose of bare shaft tuning is not tight groups but straight flying arrows so don't get hung up on where you are hitting as much as if your arrows are flying straight. Very few people can "look" to see if their arrow is flying straight and hold tight groups at the same time. there is a tendency to pick up your head. If you get your arrows flying right your groups will coincide to your shooting ability.

If you can get someone behind you and have them look at your arrow then you can concentrate on a spot and focus on form to make sure you are pulling back, anchoring, not picking up your head to look, etc. consistently.

Follow some of the advice given here and put in the time to get your arrows flying like darts bare shaft and you will never doubt your arrow set up. This will build confidence knowing you have a crucial part of shooting a bow locked in.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
I'll 2nd what John146 said about Black Widow. It's about how the bare shaft flys. Watch the BW video, easy to do.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 06:35:00 AM »
Ken Beck bare shaft tuning.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 07:13:00 AM »
I would back it up to 20 or even a little futrther and shoot about 30 arrows (15 bare 15 fletched) and take that average before I made any changes....... one things with those layered targets is when they get beat up as the arrow entered it'll take the path of least resistance, so if a broad head Chanel close it may slip into that and give you a false kick. It happens with my fletched to sometimes.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 09:17:00 AM »
Kooper1013 is right about the arrows hitting targets and tilting a little but it will give you a good gauge anyway. Arrows that are not tuned will exaggerate a bad entry into a layered target. A well tuned arrow may tilt some but you will see how much less it is.

That's why you want to watch your arrow and better yet have someone behind you to confirm flight. When it's right you will only see the nock. It's a beautiful thing!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »
I dont see how a target full of holes and weak spots can be depended upon for tuning guidance. Pay more attention to what the nock is doing while in flight. If you have to, use a 2nd person to watch from under and behind. Its pretty easy that way.

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 08:25:00 PM »
In this case you may want to paper tune the arrows using both bare and fletched shafts. If you don't have a frame you can make a cheep one with a cardboard box and newspaper.

Regards,
Grouse

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »
One thing I do (and advise others to do if they are going to use how the arrow looks in the target) is to shoot fletched shafts into the target from your farthest comfortable distance. Unless the tuning is really bad, the fletching will do its job and the arrows will enter the target straight. Now if these fletched shafts look straight the target might be ok to use to judge tuning.  If they show nock high, nock low, nock right, or nock left entry, the target is most likely changing the arrows entry and the target should not be used to judge tuning.
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2017, 12:10:00 AM »
watch this  
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©