3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nockturnal Lighted Nocks  (Read 2611 times)

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nockturnal Lighted Nocks
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2017, 05:40:00 PM »
"Is there a preferred color? Does one color show up better than the others?"

I experimented with red and green Nocturnals while shooting 3D and found the green ones to show up much better (for me).

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2017, 07:29:00 PM »
I like green but the red is good as well
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2017, 07:43:00 PM »
I love the way the blue looks,but think the red shows up the best. I like the green too,but not as much as the red.

Offline Josh H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2017, 07:55:00 PM »
Green all the way.! It is so much brighter than red and blue.

Really helps when shooting a deer- no more guesses during low light situations

I killed a buck this year/ arrow went through and broke off .

My nockturnal stayed on while wedged in chest cavity.

I won’t hunt without them.

Josh

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2017, 08:13:00 PM »
I used red for the first time using a lighted nock this year. It was great! My old eyes have trouble following an arrow some times and I was able to see exactly where the arrow entered my buck. I'll never hunt without one after seeing how great they work.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
I make my own bows, my own strings, my own wild turkey fletching etc but I LOVE NOCTURNAL nocks. They are awesome.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2017, 08:47:00 PM »
On one hunt, I shot a pig that started running in the night with my arrow. After a while, I left the blind and went to the shot location: I could see the nock at about 300 or 400 yards in the Georgia winter night. I walked there and found my dead pig.

It was magical. For me, no hunt without a nockturnal, even in day light. You can always go back at night to find your game  :)

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2017, 09:34:00 AM »
I love the nocturnals.  They do stay on for days.  Remember you can use the tip of another broadhead to turn them off.

When we move in on an animal after seeing the nock at night, we will study the nock from a distance with binoculars to check for movement.  This has caused us to back out of a few occasions.

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2017, 10:03:00 PM »
I tried both Nocturnals and lumenocks this year and they both worked great. I think I liked the Nockturnals better. No change in tune for me, a few extra grains on a heavy foc arrow made no difference. On the nocturnals I did have to sand them a bit to get the same fit as the nocks I practice with.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2017, 10:36:00 PM »
I won't hunt pigs at night without them. Shoot a pig at night in a group and have them scatter!... there's no telling what direction your pig went or even no telling if you hit it or not. Chances are he won't even bleed for 30 to 50 yards or more.

With the nocturnal, it will light the night and you can not only see the hit if that is what happens, but you can get an idea of what direction "your" pig takes off in. If it takes your arrow with it, even better.
I shoot heavier bows and arrows than most and the pigs usually carry my arrows at least a little way... sometimes to their death bed.
Nocturnal is the only brand we sell.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Online Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2017, 12:52:00 AM »
I tried experimenting with these 6 years ago on my AD Trad Lites.  Worked well, but I had to sand them down significantly to fit the small inside diameter of the shafts.

I enjoyed trying them, but had a problem that made me stop considering them.  The plastic of the nock seemed "soft", and from just resting on my lap in the bow quiver, the nock "bent" out of line from the weight of the bow and was no longer aligned with the shaft.  Looked a bit like "the arrow designed to shoot around the corner"!

It was possible to hand straighten them back into line, but away on an elk hunt I couldn't take a chance the they weren't shooting to normal point of impact.  I pulled them off and reinstalled my Easton G Nocks.

With all you guys using them recently, has anyone noticed a similar problem?  I would love to try them again, but need to be sure they are solid and trustworthy.  I assume my difficulty was from early manufacture or a questionable lot of plastic.

All the good comments here made me curious once again...
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2017, 10:29:00 AM »
I've had no issues except some employees helping themselves to nocks without paying... well not Preacher because he shoots wood and the epitome of honesty! and the ladies don't shoot.

BigJim

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
No flashlight for me. When I follow a blood trail at night, I only use a flaming torch for lighting the way.         :)   Now for the truth...I like lighted nocks and I use a flashlight.

Online Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
Ha!  Thank you, BigJim!

I am thinking that with your woodworking expertise you could mill a special set of douglas fir shafts to accept the Nockturnals for Preacher. Maybe something based on your takedown system. Well, maybe you shouldn't.

While I am pure as the driven... slush... and would also never "help myself," you might provide a temptation too great for Preacher to bear and put a dent in his "epitome"!

Thanks for the perspective on the nocks.  Probably need to make another run at them some time.  Makes me think. though, that if you end up putting a $12 nock and a $10 carbon shaft with a $13 broadhead, a guy may be slower to take a potshot at a pesky squirrel high overhead.  Preacher likely does not have THAT problem with a wood arra!

:rolleyes:    Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »
I have shot a doe with one...lost the trad feel but might do it again in the right situation.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2017, 01:39:00 PM »
I tried them a couple of years back to see what all the buzz was about.  Kinda cute, gadgety, but sure didn't make my hunt.  'Course, I don't hunt pigs.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2017, 01:41:00 PM »
I remember shooting at a yote one morning and missed by just a hair at a dead sprint. It was with my oldest Nocturnals and I couldn’t find it that morning in a wide open pasture. I’d figured I’d lost a very expensive arrow/broadhead combo. That evening I was walking past the point and it shone like beacon.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2017, 08:44:00 AM »
About 10 years ago I was hunting on Thunder Child Indian reservation for spring bear and got permission to shoot a beaver out in front of the lodge. After two near misses off of the dock, I was tired of loosing expensive arrows... I drove them in to the lake bottom.

That night I thought.. I wonder if the nocks will be lit? sure enough. Those happened to be luminoks, but they remained lit for 3 nights under water.

One of the Indian guides offered to retrieve the arrows for two packs of cigarettes. When I realized he would be riding home in my seat in the truck after the retrieval ...soaking wet and I would likely have to endure that for a day or two, I said, no thanks.
BigJim

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2017, 11:05:00 PM »
Cool story but with my experience I'm surprised luminoks even lite. Nocturnal for me works great every time.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »
Yes, I've had issues with luminoc too. Nocturnals all the way for me now.

BigJim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©