3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 'twangquilizers'- "put the sound to sleep". taming your hard to silence bow.  (Read 1377 times)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
thought i'd share my idea for limb tip vibration dampeners with the 'gang.

i have a border black douglas recurve and it has always been louder than other bows i have owned or shot and it has lead me on a journey in the search for a way to tame the twang.

i had tried everything, brace height, skinny string, silencer position, two pairs of silencers,  heavy arrows, padded string grooves.....all the usual ports of call. i had somewhat of an epiphany one evening when i was looking over the bow and plucking the string, contemplating possible reasons for its unruly behavior. as i plucked the string an audible twang could be heard, not unlike when there is no silencers installed on a new string. however there was silencers on it, still the twang could be heard. then for some reason unknown, i plucked the string and then grabbed it quickly, providing instant dampening of the string. still the twang was there. i had eliminated the string as a source of noise. 'it must be the limbs vibrating' i thought. i strummed the one string guitar once more and sure enough i could see the limb tips vibrating like a tuning fork. 'i need to dampen the tips'

i reached down and grabbed a pair of socks off the floor, held the bow on its side and draped a sock over each limb tip and plucked the string again. a dull thud was all that could be heard. problem solved except what to use besides a pair of wool socks?

enter epiphany number 2, latex tubing. i cut some tubing off my bowfit exerciser and slipped it onto the limb tips. at first they were noisy due to being too long and creating a slapping noise on release. i trimmed them shorter while test shooting and soon had them dialed in. about 3/4"-1" overhang on the tip works great.

it completely transformed this bow, it's now as quiet as any recurve should be.
so i tried the idea on my more conventional glass recurve and it quietened it down too.

i used to run rubber tip protectors and the twangquilizers only weigh 10gr more than them yet they serve as a tip dampener as well as a tip protector. i have not noticed any difference in tuning what so ever.

if you have a stubborn, hard to quiet bow, check for limb tip vibration and make yourself some 'twangquilizers' and 'put the sound to sleep'

Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
would love to hear any feedback if you give it a go. good and bad.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
Good path of thought! I don't have a noisy bow at the moment but that makes sense. And also would be a good idea for a tip protector if cut shorter. And it seems like the right size looser fit kept in the bow case would be good on the top limb to use as a string keeper when unstrung. I had a bunch of different sized tubes around here but I think I threw them out.
Tedd

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
I have a BD with one pair of cat whiskers and Limbsavers. Wouldn't characterize it as loud but will give the tubing a shot. Any idea where to purchase the tubing as I don't have a Bowfit exerciser?
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
that auction place. the tubing i trialed from the bowfit is natural latex tan colour. i sourced some black tubing of various sizes to suit different sized limb tips. the black fits in with the limb colour on my bows.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Matabele

• Trad Bowhunter
Clint what happens when you cut them shorter than that? Does the vibration return

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
great idea there clint

Thanks for sharing

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Good idea    :thumbsup:       :thumbsup:
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
matabele- yes, too short and you sacrafice dampening effect. too long and you create more noise from it 'whipping'.

it is something to be tuned since there is a myriad of tubing sizes available with different inside and outside diameters and different wall thicknesses.

during tuning, when you think you've got it close, the overhang length can be adjusted without trimming by varying how far you push them onto the bow tip.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Have you experienced the tubing flinging off after many shots?   Seems like the violent snap forward of the limb would eventually cause the tubing to work its way off?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
no, it never moves. it grips very well.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Interesting idea, folks make money off stuff like this ya know.
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
There are rubber tip protectors available, and I have used them, but only for the bottom limbs.  They are pretty stout, so I wouldn't doubt that they might help as well.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
The tip protectors I used offer no vibration dampening what so ever. Unless there is some amount of flexible rubber portion allowed to vibrate at the shot.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
May provide a valuable solution for some.

Thank you for sharing.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Carpdaddy:
Interesting idea, folks make money off stuff like this ya know.
I figure that but the idea is so simple to copy that I didn't think it was worth exploring.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Clint,

Have you tried it with the end of the tube sealed to keep out moisture and grit?  If so what effect did it have?

Very interested in trying this on a longbow that has a carbon "ping" that others don't seem to notice but I do when shooting.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Do you pull off the top one every time you want to unstring the bow?  I assume they're pretty easy to put on and pull off?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Fisher Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
FWIW, I have found that bows with limb vibration tend to shoot quieter with dacron vs. low stretch string material, often with minimal loss in speed.  I believe the extra stretch in the string dampens the shock to the limbs in such bows.

I have also been tempted to try rolling cattle castrating bands onto the limbs to see if it helps.  Maybe rolling them down to where the string barely rests on them at rest would also help with string slap.  I haven't tried it yet though, and I imagine it would be tricky getting them past some string grooves.  Might be worth a try as they are quite compact and cheap. - John

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by South MS Bowhunter:
Clint,

Have you tried it with the end of the tube sealed to keep out moisture and grit?  If so what effect did it have?

Very interested in trying this on a longbow that has a carbon "ping" that others don't seem to notice but I do when shooting.
Just my thoughts here, but anything that keeps moisture out also keeps the moisture in, which is worse.  These bows SHOULD be sealed plenty well enough for moisture to touch them. I have holes in the bottom of my tip protectors to let the water drain.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©