3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hogs in Texas  (Read 1387 times)

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hogs in Texas
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 11:04:00 AM »
I'm in SE Texas by Lake Sam Rayburn and own 100 acres with direct access to the Angelina Nat'l Forest to my Southern fence.  Hogs have invaded our area in the past 8 years to epic amounts however, hunting them is very difficult.  I spend a considerable amount of time walking in the afternoons, stumpshooting with my longbow and have only encountered two hogs in the past 5 years.  The hogs in our area are primarily nocturnal and don't come out until 2:00 to 4:00 AM as proven by trail cameras, plus they have run off most of our deer population, more than the Good 'Ole East Texas night hunter.  

They are rooting my roads and pasture so I bought a trap about 6 months ago.  The hogs here are very leery of traps and I have only caught 2 so we have a huge dilemma.  As opposed to poisoning as I am, hunting seems futile and with the growing population as I have seen in the past few years, there is no easy solution. They breed faster than rabbits and will soon completely take over our area. Tannerite with a trip-wire might be the only solution.     :bigsmyl:
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 02:58:00 PM »
I hate pigs but I love shooting them. I think a big boar is as challenging as a mature buck. I live in south central Texas and I have killed lots of pigs and also have trapped lots of pigs. I'm a little skeptical of all the damage that the experts claim they do. They do root up crops but I have not seen the amount of damage that you read about. I've been hunting on a cattle ranch for the past 8 yrs that has several oat/grain pastures and the damage is always minimal. This year was the worst for pigs. The mild weather and a rain fall really boosted their numbers. To me the biggest problem with pigs is that they chase you deer away. I had several stands that were taken over by pigs and the deer would not come to it. I'm not in favor of poisoning but I think that would work to keep the numbers down.
The biggest mistake people make with traps is letting the pigs go for what ever reason. Its my opinion that once you let them go they will not be retrapped.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 04:24:00 PM »
So why is so many farmers reluctant to let people to hunt them?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 09:03:00 PM »
Because people are worse than hogs! Generally speaking!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2017, 09:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by DJ Hardy:
A lot of the landowners want them gone but will not let you hunt them without paying so they sort of deserve the results
Exactly, you will never catch me paying someone to hunt a hog, at least not in Texas or any other state where the problem is so bad they are considering having to poison them.  Some of these places act like they are taking you on a fully guided elk hunt or something, and then try to kill them off by the truck load when hunting doesn't do the trick.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2017, 10:40:00 PM »
Not a good idea...once you let that genie out of the bottle there are long term and often unintended consequences that go well beyond what was intended.

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 01:53:00 AM »
The drug they are planning on using is Warfarin. Warfarin first came on the commercial scene in 1948 as a rat poison. It has since been developed as a drug and is used on folks that have certain heart conditions to prevent blood clots.

I believe given at higher dosages it can cause internal bleeding. I believe it causes the hogs lungs and/or other internal organs to hemorrhage thus they drown in their own blood or bleed to death. I am not totally certain of how it kills the hog but I think I remember reading somewhere that is what happens. I would have to research it more to know for certain.

I understand it can be neutralized in the human body with shots of vitamin K and if one discontinues taking it will all be gone from the body in 3 days. Not sure if this is factual either but it is some of the stuff I have read.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©