3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why shoot wood ?  (Read 1658 times)

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Why shoot wood ?
« on: February 23, 2017, 11:50:00 AM »
Aluminum arrows are cold and have no life in them .
Carbon arrows are just unbending and stubborn , have to do things there own way .
A wood arrow has warmth to it .
It has character and a personality .
It has life in it and seems to know what you want to do .
I just can't seem to explain all the attraction to wood arrows .
They have beauty and like a good women , they deserve to be respected .
In this cold mechanized world , it's nice to have something that is simple and comforting .
Why shoot wood ?.....
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why shoot wood ?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 12:26:00 PM »
I shoot wood arrows because they are beautiful, they smell good and they are simple. Nothing like building a real nice set and harvesting an animal with them.

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 12:26:00 PM »
Last weekend I have been to a local 3D shoot and there was a father and his daughter right in front of me. The father was shooting the modern equipment but seemed interested in traditional.
The real thing was when I handed one of my arrows to his daughter and this arrow was treated and felt much different than when the daughter handled her dad's carbon with vanes arrow.
She handled the carbon arrow of her dad like a dead object but handled my arrow more like something alive. Especially the natural feathers she really liked. Lol.
Wooden arrows and bows from natural materials have their own spirit and differences...

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 12:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by tecum-tha:
Last weekend I have been to a local 3D shoot and there was a father and his daughter right in front of me. The father was shooting the modern equipment but seemed interested in traditional.
The real thing was when I handed one of my arrows to his daughter and this arrow was treated and felt much different than when the daughter handled her dad's carbon with vanes arrow.
She handled the carbon arrow of her dad like a dead object but handled my arrow more like something alive. Especially the natural feathers she really liked. Lol.
Wooden arrows and bows from natural materials have their own spirit and differences...
I agree with this! Wood arrows, like one-piece trad bows, have a warmth and feel unlike modern "tactical" materials. Viva la woodie!
Aim small,miss small

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 01:05:00 PM »
They shoot well, smell good when they break and are in a class all by them selves. While shooting last weekend I broke a cedar that was the last of 2 dozen I bought........in 1996. I bought my 1st custom bow [Green Mountain] and 2 doz. cedars at the same time. I love wood arrows.......   :campfire:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 01:32:00 PM »
Nothing more beautiful than wood grained arrows fletched with feathers and personal crest designs.
Also because no two are really the same.

Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »
I love the look and love wood arrows , but my bow doesn't.
I cant get them to shoot as well as an aluminum shaft.
But I think I was under spined?

Im shooting 2018's at 29 with 125 heads.
Slickhead

Offline SC Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 02:20:00 PM »
I love wood arrows because of the myriad of deisgns that i can use when building them.
And not just the cresting, the whole arrow.
Footed wood shafts are beautiful as well.
Can't say that about aluminum and carbons
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Pope & Young General Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 03:35:00 PM »
wood makes a beautiful arrow, it's a renewable resource, and compliments a sexy recurve or longbow.

aluminum ... looks better as a beer can!

carbon ... the movie Terminator comes to mind
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 03:40:00 PM »
Graps, you nailed it....

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 04:03:00 PM »
Graps said about all you can say on the subject!
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 04:31:00 PM »
1. Out of Hill style longbows, the window that makes a carbon arrow fly right with someone with my less than 27" draw is very narrow.
2. Carbon arrows that need to be full length are a pain in the neck when using a Hill style back quiver.
3. Carbon arrows are more of a 'you do it' spine, 55-70 from one company is not the same as 55-70 from another company.
4. A deer was shot with bits of carbon shards found when they were boning it out. A very dangerous thing to eat, they threw out the whole deer.
5. There use to be many weights of aluminum shafts, this gave people the chance to choose specific arrow lengths when they could nudge the spine just a little by going to a 1918 from a 2016, and also had glue on one piece ferrules or screw on ferrules.  those days are gone, I do have a large supply of those that work for me, but they are not replaceable.
5. With a little bit of work wood arrows can be sanded to hit exact spines and weights, all it takes is a drill and sandpaper, along with a grain scale and a spine tester.
6.  Wood arrows are easy to predict spine wise and at optimum easy handling near net or net lengths.
7.  The life in a wood arrow is forgiveness. I have had a number of people judge wood arrows as a category and fail to recognize that the ones they were shooting were completely wrong for the bow and were quite often improperly made considering the grain direction and end tapers, and often with lots run out.
8.  Besides being quiet, wood arrows are fast handling, "getting that second arrow out of the quiver and onto the bowstring" has allowed me to kill game after an embarrassing first miss or a few times when I was not expecting a shot and had no arrow on the bowstring.  
9.  Wood arrows don't get knobs of ice on them when it is cold and there is snow.
10.  Wood is purdy, but when you lose one, eventually it goes away and is not left for a millennia waiting in a farmers field to flatten a tire or get pickup by a combine.  I believe in leave no trace use of the out doors.  Arrows should rot away, and broadheads should rust away.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 04:40:00 PM »
well i shoot wood and rivercane why? because i can and they are just Awesome. plus you can make an arrow out of any wooden item cant do that with aluminum or carbon in the woods   :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »
Pavan
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 05:28:00 PM »
Wooden arrows just rock...

All stickbows should be respected and shot with wooden arrows. Afterall, we went trad for a reason..

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 05:59:00 PM »
I guess I'll be the dissenter on this thread!

The only time I will ever shoot wood arrows is so I can shoot another class at a 3D shoot, or when hunting with my selfbow, which does not happen very often.

Bisch

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 06:38:00 PM »
Just for that, you can't play on my yard.  A musical smiley face

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 07:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tree Killer:
wood makes a beautiful arrow, it's a renewable resource, and compliments a sexy recurve or longbow.

aluminum ... looks better as a beer can!

carbon ... the movie Terminator comes to mind
Amen buddy!!!    :thumbsup:

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 08:01:00 PM »
They make arrows out of something besides wood?  Huh who knew?       :)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 08:16:00 PM »
I'd start a thread about carbons but those guys are all out shooting......  :biglaugh:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©