3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: backcountry stoves  (Read 1709 times)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
backcountry stoves
« on: February 28, 2017, 11:52:00 AM »
Msg pocket rocket style or white gas? September Rockies? What do y'all carry, away from the vehicle out a tent?

I have all kinds or cook systems I use and cook kits for different times but what do y'all like from r out west?

Really just figuring on I'll only be boiling water? So no white has? Am I wrong.

Thanks,

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: backcountry stoves
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 11:58:00 AM »
I use a soto and have it all packed away in a little ti cup. Works great for my coffee & meals and comes in a hair less weight than the majority of other options which is why I have this setup for backpack hunts. Stove is going on 4 years and never had any issues.
Levi Bedortha

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
URL=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/fnshtr/media/P1040791.jpg.html]  [/URL]

Optimus Crux compared to my billfold. That includes a 4 oz. fuel cylinder that will boil water for about 4 days worth of meals.

Lots of nice stoves available.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 12:15:00 PM »
I like the pocket rocket.

MSR Reactor is another good one. There is a gritty bowmen podcast where they go over different options for backcountry stoves. It is very informative.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 12:20:00 PM »
I got my son this cheap stove kit for his birthday a couple years ago.  He was turning 7 so I figured it didn't need to be too fancy -- just something for him to play camp in the back yard with our supervision.  It only cost about $25.  It has now accompanied me on 6 different trips.  One small can lasts me & my wife for 2 nights (boiling about 3 full pots a day).  The starter went out soon after we bought it but I always carry a lighter anyway so a quick spark from a lighter gets it going just fine.  There are better quality ones out there.  But the price point is hard to beat.  I wouldn't cook eggs on it or anything like that.  But, for your intended use, it's pretty good, in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.com/Petforu-Camping-Propane-Canister-Cooking/dp/B015SRB58U/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1488302044&sr=8-6&keywords=pocket+rocket+stove
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
I've got the same set up as Yosemite Sam, stove only cost me $6, works great I mean really great. Get the cup of your choice and it all packs away in the cup. Won't go back to liquid fuel stoves again.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 02:51:00 PM »
I have and use a pocket rocket.  Don't see anything on the market I would rather have.  Small, light, and works great.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 03:09:00 PM »
I've always used Jetboil & I like the coffee press

Code: [Select]

Offline -Zor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
I think it's important to first to plan what you'll be cooking since a stove can limit your abilities. I use an old MSR Whisperlite. The pros are it's relatively light, a bit more versatile than just boiling water and it's one of the most simple stoves which makes it extremely reliable. I also carry a repair kit for it, which isn't an option with most other stoves. All that said, I think there are better options available today if your only need is to boil water. Stoves like the MSR Reactor, Primus ETA and Jetboil are far more fuel efficient, set up faster, and boil water quicker. It's that time efficiency that adds value to those systems. Less time setting up and waiting is more time hunting or enjoying the scenery. Those stoves also have built in wind screens which are a necessity in my opinion. Just a slight breeze in cold weather can really hamper something like the Pocket Rocket. If I had a need to buy a stove to boil water today, I would look into one of those.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 04:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Scott E:
I like the pocket rocket.

MSR Reactor is another good one. There is a gritty bowmen podcast where they go over different options for backcountry stoves. It is very informative.
Oh yeah like the GBmen podcasts. Just looking for different perspective.
Always be stubborn.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 04:35:00 PM »
It's hard to beat a Jetboil in my opinion.  We were sad when they were outlawed for fly in hunts.  We use MSR reactor with white gas now.

Mike
Mike Westvang

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 04:35:00 PM »
I much prefer the back pack sized campfire grids and a stick fire, as long as there are no fire bans.  I pack some cotton balls soaked with fire starter to get sticks going on damp days.  If you pick the right sticks, they are usually only wet on the one side.  On the hand, beside having different fingers, birch bark is very versatile.  I have boiled water for many cups of tea and Mountain House meals with nothing more than birch bark on rainy days.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by -Zor:
I think it's important to first to plan what you'll be cooking since a stove can limit your abilities. I use an old MSR Whisperlite. The pros are it's relatively light, a bit more versatile than just boiling water and it's one of the most simple stoves which makes it extremely reliable. I also carry a repair kit for it, which isn't an option with most other stoves. All that said, I think there are better options available today if your only need is to boil water. Stoves like the MSR Reactor, Primus ETA and Jetboil are far more fuel efficient, set up faster, and boil water quicker. It's that time efficiency that adds value to those systems. Less time setting up and waiting is more time hunting or enjoying the scenery. Those stoves also have built in wind screens which are a necessity in my opinion. Just a slight breeze in cold weather can really hamper something like the Pocket Rocket. If I had a need to buy a stove to boil water today, I would look into one of those.
That's what's tearin at me! I like the versatility of my white gas stove but weight wise? I could make my daughter pack a fuel can and a dish! But the. Need bring grease, spice sect.... I could grill over hot coals???
I use pocket rockets on sand bar Ina breeze? Are they efficient? No there are more efficient but most time I build a decent wind break and lessen the wind issue. Being on the coast we suffer wind, bad.

I'll go with some sort of water boiler, but was wondering if anyone jumped a white gas stove in?
Always be stubborn.

Offline -Zor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 04:48:00 PM »
White gas is definitely an option. Especially if you already have one. Like I said, the reliability is unbeatable (especially since I sent mine back to MSR to have the shaker jet installed) and I can pare my system down to compete weight wise with an integrated stove/pot/windscreen type setup. If you've got a setup that you're comfortable using, I say why fix what ain't broke. If you want to boil water fast with minimal setup/wait time, go MSR Reactor or Primus ETA.

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 04:52:00 PM »
I've used an MSR Dragonfly for years. If it's a quick summer scouting trip or a two day early season bomb in i'll carry a Pocket Rocket. If i have any intention of cooking a real (not dehydrated) meal i'll carry a white gas stove, or if the temps will be anywhere near freezing.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 05:54:00 PM »
I like my svea alcohol stove and gsi haulite kettle.  Fuel is easy to come by and there is nothing to break.  I've been around enough jetboils to appreciate what they can do, and I really liked the french press feature, but I just can't give up my svea.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 08:30:00 PM »
I'm another msr whisper lite user but at times I will use a Coleman peak 1 multi fuel stove  the Coleman will simmer and holds enough fuel for a few days . Fuel can be carried in a MSR bottle if needed , I want a stove I can cook on or do anything with .
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 09:44:00 PM »
I really really want to start using my late Grandfather's old camp stove. It's a Mil-Surp WWII Coleman GI pocket stove. It runs on straight unleaded gas.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 01:22:00 AM »
When my jetboil dies I plan on buying a Reactor, if I see a good deal on a Reactor I might buy it and use the jetboil as a backup
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 07:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
It's hard to beat a Jetboil in my opinion.  We were sad when they were outlawed for fly in hunts.  We use MSR reactor with white gas now.

Mike
I did a fly in a couple years ago with Jetboil.  What got outlawed and by who?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©