3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Single fletch flu flu  (Read 469 times)

Online Mo_coon-catcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Single fletch flu flu
« on: February 28, 2017, 03:18:00 PM »
Just curious if anyone has experimented with single fletch flu flu and what the results on game were. A buddy and I have played with this a little when we were shooting and all but one fletching fell off or broke off. I think we were shooting heavy 3/8" hickory shafts that weighed about 800gr. When there was two or three 4" flu flu the arrow would carry about 150 yards. Which is why we didn't trim them since we got enough distamce for out shooting at close range and it stabilized the way I've spined arrows. But with a single fletch the arrows would fly straight for about 20-25 yards they kick sideways and lose all momentum and fall to the ground by 50-60 yards. To me it sounds work experimenting with. Problem would be if you have a shot past the initial 20 yards and the arrow is sideways, though it would have lots of momentum and penetration up to that point.

What are your all's thoughts?

Thanks,
Kyle

Re: Single fletch flu flu
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 04:45:00 PM »
I made single and two fletch wrap arounds years back.  You just use full sized uncut feathers.  left wings go counter clockwise from nock forward when looking from the nock end.  You need to make a simple feather book to get to a minimum of quill, some sharp craft pins and some glue that matches your shaft, either Duco for wood and Grizzly super glue, the non-runny stuff, for the others.  I know of one fellow pheasant shooter, that uses the wrap with fletch tape and an occasional drop of glue.  But there again, getting the quill to a minimum is key.  A four inch two wrap will really put the air brakes on about 30 out.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 08:01:00 PM »
I make a modified flu flu. I do a 3 fletch with 4" chunks of full length. Then I burn a tiny bit off on an angle too to bottom with my burner. This seems to give me the best speed when hunting small game. Big 4 fletch feathers were to slow for my liking even tho they work fine most of the time. I played with a few different sizes and that's the best. But I have not tried a single fletch

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 10:36:00 PM »
I've used the single uncut feather spiral wrap for years.  But on a 600 gr P.O. Cedar arrow.  After 25 yards it starts to really slow down.  

I usually use the same fletch for everything but the spiral flu-flu is the exception.

Uncut three or four fletch tickles my nose.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 01:28:00 PM »
Actually, I got tired of seeing arrows come up behind half the pheasants that I shot at.  I use either cheap cedars with free three blade broadheads, or junker old and beat cedars, both with regular fletching these days.  I lose some and I find some back.  It is easier to find an arrow back, when  pheasant personally delivers it to the ground for you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©