3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What are YOU wearing?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline BramosCombat

• Trad Bowhunter
What are YOU wearing?
« on: March 01, 2017, 11:39:00 AM »
Hey everyone,

So I will be going on my first hunt this year, and as I was looking for what I might need, it quickly occurred to me that it's a bit overwhelming.  So much gear and so many brands.  So I wanted to ask of you all, what are you wearing out on the hunt?  

I have picked up a Kuiu Superdown jacket and Peloton hoodie.  What do you like or look for in jacket, pack, boots, quiver, etc.?  And what is your must have item that you cant go out there without?

Look forward to reading what you all go with and cant go without.

Best,
Bramos
Bear AuSable Longbow, 55#
Easton Axis Traditional 400's, 125gr tip, 100gr insert (125gr Stinger Buzzcut)

Better to be behind the bow, then in front of the arrow.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What are YOU wearing?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 11:51:00 AM »
In cool weather , I like a flannel shirt and an Asbell vest with a wool stocking hat .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BramosCombat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 11:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Graps:
In cool weather , I like a flannel shirt and an Asbell vest with a wool stocking hat .
I have been very interested in the Pathfinder Hoodie.  Just think it looks amazing.  Asbell has some awesome wool.

Bramos

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 12:04:00 PM »
It's hard to answer your question because it depends on what I'm hunting, how I'm hunting, and what the weather is like or will be like during the hunt.

For turkeys, in a ground blind, I wear what is comfortable on the lower half of my body and something black on the top. Depending on the temps the black part could be anything from a long sleeved tee shirt to several layers topped off with a black hoodie.

For deer, I'm not big on camo or brand. Usually it's wool plaid layered to suit the weather. I do have some camo bibs and some Cabelas Wooltimate camo, but I buy camo for functionality rather than color or pattern. As long as the pattern is pretty open, I have no brand loyalty. Generally speaking this is for tree stand or still hunting. From the blind, see turkey hunting above.

As far as footwear, usually it's a pair of Alpha Burley boots. If it's super cold, I will switch to military surplus "Mickey Mouse" boots. Early fall or spring turkey in dry conditions it will be leather lace-up boots. Wet conditions means some sort of waterproof footwear of your preference. Never had anything stare at my feet no matter what I was wearing, lol.

What do you plan to hunt? Where do you plan to hunt?
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
For most of my hunts (Hogs, Deer, and Turkeys) i dont put any thought into it. I grab pair of pants, sometimes camo, sometimes carhart type pants and a Tshirt (once again sometimes camo, sometimes not.) and a ball cap turned backwards or hoo-rag. I figure if the animal can tell what brand of clothes im wearing i havent done my job correctly    :rolleyes:

That being said, as soon as i wrap up my studies and get a steady "day" job teaching im sure my adventures will migrate west, and my clothes stand a chance of becoming more technical.

But right now, im just a "whatever" type guy!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 12:57:00 PM »
Depends on what you are hunting for and when.  

What ever and where ever I'm hunting, I put on a cheap moisture wicking tee shirt and definitely grab something wool, made by Teresa Asbell, of course.  For boots, LL Bean Maine Hunters or some Lacrosse Burly boots.  I just picked up a pair of Danner Boots that I haven't used much yet.  They were the most expensive hunting wear I have purchased.  For pants, I usually just wear a pair of cheap, old Army BDUs.  Wool pants, though, when it gets cold and I am sitting.

I have a bunch of the moisture wicking tees that I bought on clearance from Wally World (3 bucks each).
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »
Not that fussy, as long as it is quiet.  I tend toward wool pants and shirts and don't like printed camo.  I do wear my KOM boonie hat whenever the weather allows it.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 01:58:00 PM »
I have some Sitka pants that I really like with reenforced  cuffs, knees, suspenders.
Maybe they were called Mountain pants or something like that. Best hunting pants ever in my opinion. I have worn them deer, bear, and elk hunting.  Worn them in MN, ND, CO, Ontario, and Manitoba. Expensive but worth every penny.

I have one Asbell wool pullover that gets a lot of use, in conjunction with various vests.  Usually either a short brimmed cap or a wool stocking cap. Then merino wool long Johnson.

For really cold weather, (posting on a stand) a Heater Body Suit is tough to beat.

For ninety percent of my hunting, I wear Muck boots. In the mountains, Meindl Perfekt boots have served me well on four elk hunting trips.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline BramosCombat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 02:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:
What do you plan to hunt? Where do you plan to hunt?
Upstate New York, Long Island will be the most likely.  Turkey and White Tail, ground blind.  

Thanks everyone for the insights.  If nothing else, wool seems to be on everyone's list.  

Bramos

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 05:04:00 PM »
In cooler weather, I love my First Lite merino wool. It provides great warmth with little bulk.

Bisch

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 05:10:00 PM »
Asbell wool,green ,gray,or brown cargo pants,Stetson hat,Danner boots and hopefully a little blood on my hands!
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Arrowcraft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 05:24:00 PM »
One word SITKA !
         Black Wolf 68"57#@28"
         Tall Tines 60"52#&45#@28"-------

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 05:40:00 PM »
I wear mostly Firstlite apparel out west. If it's really hot, I wear KUIU Tiburon shirt and pants. They are hands down a must have in hot weather. The pants have side zips that open to a light netting interior and the micro dot technology really works.

As far as other must have items: Marino wool base layers, good rain gear, some type of synthetic insulation fill jacket for layering (mine is the Uncompahgre puffy) and some type of soft shell jacket and pants. Last year in WY, I experience five days of 50 mph winds and one day it rained, sleeted and snowed in October. Thanks to my gear, I was toasty.

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 05:47:00 PM »
When it is below 50, I wear a wool pants from Sweden and a Filsen vest. When it gets below 40 I go to a Swaundri camo wool. When it gets below 25, i add lower wool longjohns, and wear a camo wool Filsen double mac, when it get below 10 I add wool upper longjohns and put the wool vest back on.  When it is above 50, I wear cotton jeans and a Filsen wool shirt.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
keep it simple. I know some guys don't believe it but deer are color blind. I recommend a leaf suit. Also any time you can take natural material like branches and leaves and use them to break up your outline.

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 06:56:00 PM »
Not really "trad", but get the best base layer you can afford for extreme cold--- I spent 80.00 on under armor shirt and it has been worth every penny--and I'm cheap...

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 06:57:00 PM »
Ps-- I'd rather be broke than cold.

Offline BramosCombat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 03:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by the rifleman:
Ps-- I'd rather be broke than cold.
Quote of the day for me right here.  

Thanks,
Bramos

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 04:20:00 PM »
First lite for a base layer then it depends. Chestnut brown carhart pants seem to always find their way on me. They seem to work in a lot of different terrain.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 04:38:00 PM »
I'm gonna go a bit against the flow here.... absolutely no reason to drop a couple grand on the Nuevo fashionista 'big name' hunting gear... put on enough clothes you won't get cold, make sure they are quiet, more earthy tones NO NEED AT ALL for camo patterns...and go learn how to hunt.  Spend your time/energy/money on getting out in the woods and learning how to be a bowhunter.  A first class woodsman in wal mart plaid will outhunt and bring home more game than a duffer in brand name hunting 'gear' any day of the week.

I can, do, and have, spent whole deer seasons in 95% stuff from wal mart and goodwill....I do OK on trophy whitetails, too   ;)  

Wool is good, cotton is good when its warm out, 50/50 poly cotton is good too early season.... guys out west and in Alaska say "cotton kills".... but here in the east/Midwest you ain't likely to die of hypothermia when your jeans get wet....

You may not be the cool guy in the newest variation of polypropylene that someone smacked a new camo pattern on and advertised in the hunting mags on a model that has never shot a bow, but show 'em your pics of dead critters and guys generally clam up   :)  

Go hunt.... don't overthink it....

R

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©