3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any 2-blade glue on BH any worse than the others?  (Read 414 times)

Offline KevinK

• Trad Bowhunter
Any 2-blade glue on BH any worse than the others?
« on: March 03, 2017, 05:43:00 PM »
I ask if any are worse because there are a lot to choose from and everyone already has their preference. Most likely a personal preference. Has anyone had any bad experiences with any that are readily available? Couldn't get sharp enough, get to stay sharp. tip curled, bent, broke easily, couldn't get to fly right? Just starting into wood arrows and need to tune first (need to get my bow first, lol) but wondered if there are ones that are better to avoid.
Life can be complicated. Hunting shouldn't be.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any 2-blade glue on BH any worse than the others?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 05:53:00 PM »
Have not had any bad experiences, but to me the zwickey delta has been by far the easiest to sharpen and keep sharp, and is made of much harder steel than a lot of heads. I slammed more than a couple into rocks and fence posts and never had one bend. Even buried one into a cinder block once.

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 06:33:00 PM »
Some one please pick up the Magnus II line......Zwickeys are good but Magnus was and is GREAT !!!!!!!  :pray:
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 06:37:00 PM »
I think the best glue on head is the Eclipse.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Alexander Traditional:
I think the best glue on head is the Eclipse.
I can't think of any "bad" two blade glue on heads still in production, but I am convinced the Eclipse are the strongest 2 blade heads we sell.

Zwickey heads are legendary for a good reason too.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 07:00:00 PM »
I was recently involved with a fellow longbow shooter that claimed Deltas that were glued on vertically moved to the right, right hand shooter, and ones that were glued flat did not.  He showed me.  I tried it with his bow and at his draw, same.  We remounted a couple of each and changed to rotation, and got the same effect.  He did not like shooting with the blades horizontal.  We tried some Deadheads on the same arrows and they did not fly to the right.  I am assuming on his arrows the spine is causing the blade to catch some air on the first curve out of the bow.  We dropped to 2018s from 2020s and the effect was more obvious with the vertical mounting versus the horizontal.  I put some vertical mounted Deltas on my own arrows, shot out of my bow and they did not move to the right.  I once had the large vertically mounted Magnus do a giant side step to the left when shooting at a deer in a right to left 20 mph quartering tail wind.  After missing the deer I tried a second shot, same, but not quite as bad as the first shot.  They did not do that in any situations before that.  Odd situations can show different things.  I always shoot vertical blades and net bop.  I prefer Grizzlies, Hills and Hunter's Heads all file sharpened with a serration on the beveled side into the rotation of arrow. I will say that Deltas can give a very good blood trail, but I would test shoot any head a number of times to look for those odd little variables that can show up.

Offline KevinK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 07:00:00 PM »
Good info, kind of what I expected. None seemed to be bad. Some a bit better than others. I will see what weight my field points come in at after tuning. ACE seems to have the most in weight range 125, 135, 145, 160, 165, 175 and 200. Most are close in cost within a few dollars per half dozen except eclipse. I agree with the Magnus comment T Lail. I shoot regular Magnus Stingers with carbons (I know not the same company) and it's simple and I can get them sharp. It's SS instead of carbon though. I was sad to see Thunder Valley (I think) went out of business in September. Any cons with ACE? Not stuck on any of them yet.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 09:26:00 PM »
Can't go wrong with any broadheads mentioned. I personally like original bear razorheads and then zwickeys and Ace. I have killed critters with all of those without any issue. You won't find to many guys that will have bad things to say about any top name heads anything sharp kills. Anything made out of steel is strong in my opinion. There are bad batches and bad designs but for the most part they are all good. I love Bear razorheads the mist. So easy to sharpen

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 09:50:00 PM »
Started shooting Ace heads years ago and don't plan on ever switching again. Tuff, sharpen easy, fly great and well priced and like you said many choices of weights.

I shoot the 200g on my dougfir arrows and have shot through everything except a few turkeys. Killed dozens of deer and turkeys and no bending, no curling of the tips and no complaints   :thumbsup:    

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 09:56:00 PM »
I agree with Braveheart.  I don't think any currently made two blade, COC, glue on broadheads are "bad."  However, some that were made in the past can be real "dogs".  I remember one brand that had an nylon or plastic ferrel with a long, pointy blade.  Heck, you could bend it in your hand!
  Pavan made a good point about the Zwickey Deltas.  (A great broadhead by the way) If your tune isn't good and/or you have a bad release on a windy day, they may plane on you.  That can be said for ANY wide, solid, two blade head. Ace standards are tough, easy to sharpen and come in a wide range of weights, but some folks say they are "picky" about getting a good fit with certain broadhead adapters.  I have nothing but great things to say about Ace.  I have read that some folks have had Magnus II broadheads bend on bone hits when they left a needle point on them.  I have found that the Magnus II is one of the easiest to sharpen.  I have read that some folks have had Zwickey Eskimos bend on bone hits when they left a needle point on them too.  The Eskimo has also taken every game animal in the world and is "the standard" two blade glue on broadhead.  I bent the blade and cracked the aluminum ferrel on a Howard Hill broadhead once when I was trying to "work it" out of a sweet gum tree.  They also fly as good as a field point and Howard Hill seemed to have pretty good luck with them.  If you like single bevels, the Grizzly comes in a wide range of weights and has a large, loyal following.  The best way is to try them out for yourself and see which one you like the best.  Some folk (like me) aren't able to pick just one!
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline KevinK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 10:21:00 PM »
Good info. If they hit rocks, trees or get shot into the dirt I certainly don't expect them to last forever. If they get a good, clean kill but bend from hitting bone, I feel they've done their job and can be retired. For the cost, it isn't much to ask. I had a Magnus Stinger (not classic) get the blade snapped into pieces in my target while BH tuning when it got hit by my field point shot after it (it was tuned). Magnus replaced it even though it was my fault and I even explained that it my letter.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 03:54:00 AM »
I've had two that are good heads but bend easily, the 125 gr ace in the 125 gr Magnus original. Both have bent shooting into plywood which is not a good sign. I prefer Zwickey, Stos, or Magnus stinger for double bevel and any if the single bevel heads out in production.

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 07:03:00 AM »
If you want a no nonsense 2 blade glue on broadhead, you can never go wrong with Zwickey broadheads, I prefer Zwickey Delta myself but have had good experiences with all their broadheads. They are fairly inexpensive, easy to sharpen and strong. I have taken 4 deer with one broadhead and still going. Zwickey's been around since 1938 for good reason.
But I have recently made up a batch of woodies tipped with Simmons Tiger Sharks, 135 grains, (same weight as Zwickey Deltas),. You need clean each broadhead with denatured alcohol, (not rubbing alcohol due to oil content), prior to gluing on because they may have some packing oil on them. Not a biggie.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 07:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by pavan:
I was recently involved with a fellow longbow shooter that claimed Deltas that were glued on vertically moved to the right, right hand shooter, and ones that were glued flat did not.  He showed me.  I tried it with his bow and at his draw, same.  We remounted a couple of each and changed to rotation, and got the same effect.  He did not like shooting with the blades horizontal.  We tried some Deadheads on the same arrows and they did not fly to the right.  I am assuming on his arrows the spine is causing the blade to catch some air on the first curve out of the bow.  We dropped to 2018s from 2020s and the effect was more obvious with the vertical mounting versus the horizontal.  I put some vertical mounted Deltas on my own arrows, shot out of my bow and they did not move to the right.  I once had the large vertically mounted Magnus do a giant side step to the left when shooting at a deer in a right to left 20 mph quartering tail wind.  After missing the deer I tried a second shot, same, but not quite as bad as the first shot.  They did not do that in any situations before that.  Odd situations can show different things.  I always shoot vertical blades and net bop.  I prefer Grizzlies, Hills and Hunter's Heads all file sharpened with a serration on the beveled side into the rotation of arrow. I will say that Deltas can give a very good blood trail, but I would test shoot any head a number of times to look for those odd little variables that can show up.
I had a similar situation happen to me numerous years ago with vertical mounted broadheads, Zwickey Delta's. They was shooting way left and had me shaking my head. My father came out and said, "its your brace height" it's to strong, is all he said. Three twist out of the string and problem solved. My dad been bowhunting since the 50's so I listen when he speaks.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©