3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Starting length for bowstring  (Read 421 times)

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Starting length for bowstring
« on: March 03, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »
I have twisted up a few bowstrings in the past, I have a flemish string board made up that I can set for what size string I need.

But I wonder sometimes if it's correct. I just got an answer from Great Plains on what length of bowstring to use, and it's an odd length - 61.75"

What would anyone suggest I should use as the start length to twist up this size string?   :dunno:  

Thanks in advance.
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Starting length for bowstring
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 10:26:00 PM »
I would use my 62" peg and start my end twisting just a little farther in. Like 9 3/4 instead of 9 1/2.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 10:29:00 PM »
It depends a lot one what you make it out of.

I use B50 and it takes some SWAGGING and experience to get it right with twisted or endless.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 10:52:00 PM »
You need to have an idea of how much your string will stretch, based on the type of string you use.  All the strings I use, whether FF or Dacron, stretch at least an inch.  So initially, you have to make it shorter than the stretched length you want, which in my case would be about an inch shorter.  A quarter inch is insignificant to me in making a string, so I would ignore the 61.75" spec.  Once I got the string close, say 61-62", I would begin experimenting with brace height until I was happy with it.  Then for the first 1,000 shots or so, I would check it frequently and twist it up as needed until it settles in.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 12:09:00 AM »
I do what Steve B. said, but as the others stated...it depends on the material, how you twist, etc.

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 01:51:00 AM »
Yes, I agree with your responses, however I didn't really make my question clear, My apologies.....

What I'm trying to establish is for a finished string length of "X" (in my case 61.75") what would you add to that length as the first lay (the following lays tapering shorter) in each bundle?

How many inches of string would you/do you add before starting to twist it up"
I'm trying to get an idea so if someday I don't have the jig, I can at least have a length as a starting point.

I can't remember right now, but I measured a string that I made up on that flemish jig, but it seemed like it would be shorter than I would need once twisted up.

I'm using 8125 3 bundles of 4 strands, with an addition strand for padding in the loops.

Thanks again.
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 08:34:00 AM »
For me ( me only) I start with the length I need and add 9" to 10" each end.   Say a 100" string... start with 100 +9 +9 = 118".

Then, I start twisting 10" from the end of the bundles.  Some of that 9-10 depends upon the size of loop you will make.  My Jet bow takes tiny loops to even stay on the bow while a recurve bow needs larger loops to fit onto the tip and to slide down the limb when unstrung.

You don't NEED a jig, but it makes things easier to be pretty.  You can hand cut strands, as you suggested.  Heck. there aren't THAT many in a string.

Ryan Sanpei has a very nice video on TG ( youtube) that describes making the string.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 08:22:00 PM »
You will need to make a few strings to figure out your formula.
Mine is length needed plus 16 ( my 8" takeup on each end) then I add 2  which is my fudge factor for how I twist.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »
ChuckC & nacbow,

Thanks, that was what I was looking for. I figure if I'm over length I can always shorten it when I make the second loop - make the first loop end, measure out required length to mid point of second loop, twist in from there.

Just wanted someone's idea of a starting point if ever come the day I didn't have a jig.

Thanks again.

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 10:12:00 PM »
ChuckC......

ONE HUNDRED INCH STRING!

What the *^%$#* kinda bow YOU shootin'?

LOL  
 :biglaugh:

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 10:33:00 PM »
Well.... a LONGbow of course !    :laughing:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©