3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Undesirables  (Read 1027 times)

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
The Undesirables
« on: March 03, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »
Everyone who looks at classifieds knows the type;  Some bows just don't sell. These items may be too heavy, too short, too unknown, and even occasionally, priced to high.  More often than not, however, many bows go unsold after many days, weeks or months of being listed, even with multiple price reductions.  

I am curious what factors make such bows undesirable.  My curiosity would be laid to rest if everyone could post a list of the top 5 reasons a bow for sale does not interest them.  I am willing to assume as the list of people and their dislikes grow, a some sort of patter will emerge.  Please, don't hold back, the more the merrier.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Undesirables
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 09:12:00 PM »
Reasons:

#1. They don't bother to post pictures. I don't want to have to give my ph # or email to request pictures. I want to click the link and see the pics.

#2. Priced too high. Some people post prices so high that with just 20% more, you could own a brand new bow.

#3. I look closely at who's posting the add. I pay particular attention to how many posts they have on this site and how well they're know. #3 could easily be exchange for #2 in importance.

#4. How well are the details provided, and the pictures shown, to reveal the blemished, dings... I don't mind buying a bow with dings and dents. I just don't want to pay a price for a bow which is listed 10/10, when in fact it more like an 8/10.

#5. Bow weight and grip. Once the bow reaches 55# or more, or the bow has a high wrist grip, I move on. Just my preferences.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 09:17:00 PM »
Top 5 reasons for me not to buy a bow. 1- I feel like some times a bow is priced way over what it's worth. 2 - if I feel like some one isn't being honest about the condition like saying it's never been used but the rest shows signs of wear. That isn't a big deal but it gives me a bad vibe about the person selling so I don't buy from them. 3- if he bow is to much weight. 4- how the how has been presented for the sale makes a big difference. I feel like sometimes you can tell just by looking at a bow if it's been taken care of. And lastly 5- if the seller doesn't post enough pictures to see the whole bow I get worried and won't buy. I've over paid before on bows because I trusted the person was being honest. Then I received the bow it it has lots of issues that weren't listed. Because of that instance the only bows I'm buying used online will be here on trad gang. I have had nothing but good things with anyone I've dealt with on here, it really is a great bunch of people to do business with. I no longer buy from auction sites. This is just my opinion.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »
I think people have certain brands they identify with quality, and have an idea of what those brands should cost on the used market.  Sometimes I will hear something good about some other brand, and might want to try one out.  If a brand is not already on my list, or hasn't otherwise come to my attention, I probably won't pay much attention to an ad about it.  OTOH, if someone is selling some bows at a tournament, I might pick up a bow I've never heard of.  If it looks good and feels good in my hand, I might shoot it.  If it shoots well for me, I might buy it.  So if I had a bow that wasn't well known, I might try selling it at an archery meet rather than through an ad.

It is a mistake to expect to sell a bow right away, regardless of how well known it is.  Maybe you will, but that is just luck.  I had a bow made by a well known bowyer that I tried to sell a year or so ago because it had become too heavy for me.  I got some nibbles, but no bites.  After about six months, a friend shot it and liked it, so I gave it to him.  I'd rather give a good bow away than sell it for less than it is worth.  What goes around, comes around.  A few weeks after that, one of the people who had expressed interest in it before wrote back with a full price offer.  Oh well, too late.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 09:29:00 PM »
#6, skins, to me they are used to cover a poor finish job

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 09:44:00 PM »
Not a style of bow I like to shoot.
I already have to many bows.
Bow is wrong specs for length or weight.
Bow is over priced.
Poor descriptions and few or no pictures.
It's left handed and I'm a right.
Bow has damage, dings or bad finish...
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 09:55:00 PM »
I may be wrong but here lately I haven't seen many bows over priced. I have seen some nice bows go dirt cheap.  But to answer your question,no pics,wrong specs
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 10:07:00 PM »
5# too heavy or too light mostly
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 10:31:00 PM »
Top 5 reasons a bow may not sell:

#1. They don't bother to post pictures.

#2. They don't bother to post pictures.

#3. They don't bother to post pictures.

#4. They don't bother to post pictures.

#5. They don't bother to post pictures.

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 10:49:00 PM »
Pics are a biggie! Always post pics.

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
5# too heavy or too light mostly
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 12:06:00 AM »
Not left handed
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 01:14:00 AM »
1. its the same or very similar to a bow I already own.
2. I cannot afford it.
3. it is significantly heavier than I normally shoot. ( don't want to have to buy 2 dozen new arrows now too)
4. I don't like the way it looks. ( some bows are just beautiful, even old beat up ones, some just don't do it for me)
5. My fiancée cannot be convinced that I need it and it is a great deal and it will make me far more efficient hunter and it will save us lots of money in the long run on groceries. ( this is generally the primary factor.)

Msturm
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 01:15:00 AM »
No pics doesn't bother me at all as long as they can send me some and I can often see the bow better on my home computer when their sent to my E-mail.
Wrong poundage
Wrong price
Wrong length
Wrong make
Wrong style
Wrong condition.
Wrong time of year
Wrong grip
Wrong woods
Its not on the hot bow to buy list.

Folks can be pretty picky.Almost all used bows are a pretty good deal when compared to the price of a new one.Sometimes its takes awhile to find the right match for a bow and buyer.

Over the years their have been so many more bows available second hand.Because their are so many more circulating.So prices are down a tad in my experience and it might be harder to move them as quickly.But most sale when the price is right and you have a buyer eventually.Might have to sit on it for awhile though.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 03:42:00 AM »
1: it's not a TallTines
Don't get me wrong I've been tempted by other bows but true love exists lol

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 04:09:00 AM »
No pictures
Too heavy/too light
More than I think it's worth to me
Grip looks too fat (I have short fingers)
My wife is watching over my shoulder.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 05:06:00 AM »
All of the above reasons plus some brands become of fashion and they sell incredibly fast. Then they are forgotten and don't sell anymore
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 06:54:00 AM »
For me:
1. Usually too light - I like bows around 60# and it seems like everyone is shooting 40# these days
2. Price - there are plenty of good deals but many overpriced bows to me too....if it's 20 years old it's not worth 7 or 800 dollars, even if it says black widow
3. They don't take paypal - this service offers simplicity, speed, and insurance I don't see why anyone would want or expect someone to get a money order and drop it in the mail these days
4.  They want to call and talk - this may be controversial to most but to me if someone wants to discuss a bow I move on, I like deals to be quick and done no offense guys.  I'll chat about hunting but I don't want to make phone calls about your bow
5.  Low post count - see #4, I recognize most names here of regular posters and therefore can trust a deal without going above and beyond to prevent being scammed...a low post count makes me a little more hesitant
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
1. No PayPal.  PayPal gives your recourse if item not as described.
2. To short for my draw.
3. Can not afford price
4. Something about ad screwy, even though I can't put my finger on it.
5. Just not a bow I am interested in
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Bluefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 09:30:00 AM »
For me it 's these reasons.
Too much poundage, I need my bows to be 45-50# at 30"
Bow is too short, I like 64-66" bows.
The grip is too small, I have XL hands.
Price is a big factor. I tend to be frugal aka cheap.
No photo, gotta have a pic.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©