3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrows?  (Read 2004 times)

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood arrows?
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »
I just enjoy making and shooting my own wooden arrows.  They really quiet down my bow and I get great arrow flight with them.  I also get a satisfaction I can't explain to you when take a deer with "my" arrows.  Wood arrows, to me any way; is an integral part of tradition archery.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2017, 11:09:00 PM »
Even when I bought doweled shafts I rarely had to do much straightening and most of that was hand straightening.
 Arrows don't have to be straight to fly well. I've made a few "crooked" arrows with "S" snakes near the point end and they would shoot very well as long as you have the nock end and point end lined up. I would never hunt with one of these crooked arrows but boy is it fun watching the others at the practice line when the crooked arrow stuck in the bulls eye. There is an old picture with Chet Stevenson with a crooked bow and arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RonL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2017, 11:53:00 PM »
Wood is just a lot more work! Once you have carbons tuned the next dozen will be the same, and yes I bare shade to check.
Even after you finish a new dozen woods you still have  maintenance on them keeping them straight etc.  They maybe romantic but they take a lot to get a dozen finished.
Now excuse me I have to go finish fletching my new woodies.

Offline Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2017, 01:15:00 AM »
Never shot anything other than wood.  Enjoy making and hand straighten only if needed.  Simple hand cresting (no spinner) and they're good to go.
X2 Captain Kirk
 Some guys do get obsessed with small details.
Most of my hunting shots are 15-18 yards. Woodies never let me down in.

Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2017, 08:08:00 AM »
Kevin
Relax from your engineering background.  This is wood we're dealing with. They are not carbon or aluminum.
Therein lies the beauty of wood arrows. I straighten mine by looking down the shaft and flexing it to get any bend out. I check them for straightness at each step of building. Before I stain and before each finish coat. I have found that I rarely have any problems after that. Truthfully once they are completely finish I never check them again unless I have one that really acts squirrelly. No maintenance just shoot them until I break or lose them
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline flyguysc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2017, 08:50:00 AM »
I made the switch back to woodies this week after a hiatus of Ten years. I enjoy making them,they are time consuming and a joy of a hobbie within its self. I made a few mistakes with this set of test arrows  from Sure Wood shafts but will do better on the next set.Yea they shoot and fly like great.

[/url] [/IMG]
Winners make commitments ,Loser make excuses

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »
I'm only a year or so into this trad comeback but am definitely going to wood when the current set of 2016's gets depleted. Always been aluminum - never had an interest in carbon - but wood just seems right as the next step.

I appreciate threads like this and continue to enjoy researching the nuances of wood to overcome the trepidation as some have mentioned.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2017, 09:18:00 AM »
Flyguysc, Please tell me that is a wrap.....

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2017, 02:45:00 PM »
Dunno if it's a wrap but dang, is it righteous!
Aim small,miss small

Offline IndaTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2017, 04:37:00 PM »
I'm a compound convert and when I first started shooting trad I shot carbon, but it just didn't feel right. So, I read a little and asked a few questions and now shoot wood exclusively.  Just  seems the way to go for me. Now, if I can just get that selfbow built I'll really feel good!

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2017, 05:20:00 PM »
I find it hard to believe that some of you stated you can't tell the inconsistencies of wood. I'm far from 1 in a 1000 but can easily see and feel it.

I shot my new cedars and my aluminums today. Cedar group 6"dia. Alum group 3"dia. It's like night and day.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Wild Bill MCP 808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2017, 06:02:00 PM »
I haven't make any woods for awhile I think it is time to start making some woodies. Just needed a little push again.

Thanks guys,

Tundra
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
60" Black Widow 47@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
62" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
60" Black Widow  46@ 28 
NRA Member
Bill Wilhelm

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2017, 11:04:00 PM »
I just picked up 3 dozen 11/32 cedars spined at 50-55. 32" long. Never tapered. I will remove the old feathers and do something with them.

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2017, 12:39:00 AM »
There are certain details that need to be in place, but a good set of cedars should shoot fairly close to any arrow for consistency.  This deer was dispatched with a simple cedar and a file sharpened Hill.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2017, 09:01:00 AM »
What difference does a few inconsistencies matter if my inconsistent wood arrow goes right where I'm aiming? Like I said before generally the inaccurate part of the bow/arrow/archery combo is the archer and not the bow or arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »
Got this question from another post. How easy is it to refletch woodies. And how many time can you refletch a woody? And won't scalping off feather ruin your nice cresting and three. Coats of clear coat?

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2017, 10:23:00 AM »
I don't think of wood as exotic; rather, it is natural. I have shot fiberglass and aluminum, and I liked them a lot. However, I still prefer wood on aesthetic grounds. It especcially seems so when shooting my long bows.

I believe that many, not just compound converts, want the more simple "grab and go" aspect of the non-wood alternatives. Perhaps most people don't have or don't want to spend the time making good wood arrows. Good commercially produced wood arrows are costly, so why spend big money on wood, if you can get greater consistency with aluminum or carbon? Good question.

I still prefer wood, even with its idiosyncracies. It shoots more accurately than I do, and at 20 yards (my effective hunting accuracy limit), the increased performance of carbon and aluminum is a mathmatical difference much more than a practical one. In short, wood has worked very well for thousands of years.

What does all this mean? Probably not a helluva lot. Those who like wood are not going to change the minds of those who like other type arrows and vice versa. Fortunately, arrow producers will continue to make them of all these materials, so we can continue to shoot what we like, which is probably the deciding factor in most hunters' choice of arrows. Other than some of the engineers amongst us, I doubt that very many spend time poring over scientific data when choosing arrows. I like wood and don't care that there is an slightly increased potential with other types of arrows. It still comes down to shooting what one likes.
Sam

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2017, 10:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:

I shot my new cedars and my aluminums today. Cedar group 6"dia. Alum group 3"dia. It's like night and day.
This is why I don't shoot wood unless it's required in a tournament class...I don't care what others say. Wood is just not as accurate.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
Agree Pat B.....and why all the posts making it sound like it is so difficult to get well flying wood arrows?  It isnt rocket science and do you really need/want to be able to hit the same hole every time...   hahaha

Wood arrows are what it is about with my bows....they have as much input as to the experience as anything else.  I believe more people coming from target, competitive and mechanical bows and used to someone saying buy this shaft and it is going to be perfect every time out of your bow once set up....and they never have to think about them again.

I look forward to a new set of arrows every year or two depending on what bow I am using that year and whether I just feel like making some new ones.  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2017, 12:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
I find it hard to believe that some of you stated you can't tell the inconsistencies of wood. I'm far from 1 in a 1000 but can easily see and feel it.

If I was that concerned about tight groups I would probably not be shooting a trad bow either. Just sayin'...
Aim small,miss small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©