3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alligator broad heads  (Read 418 times)

Offline Julian

• Trad Bowhunter
Alligator broad heads
« on: March 04, 2017, 05:35:00 PM »
Is anyone familiar with any cut on contact alligator broad heads? Ive been looking at the one offered on 3rivers and it looks solid but I was hoping to hear some first hand reviews before I buy it. Or any others out there that y'all may have used that I've not heard of. Wanting to take an alligator this year completely trad. We've got some big lizards swimming around down here and I'll need top notch equipment.
Bear grizzly 50# @28
Browning cobra 45# @28
Eskimo broad heads on both

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alligator broad heads
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 06:35:00 PM »
Contact Terry Receveur here on TG (IndianaBowman).  He one of the Councilmen on the PBS and, in my humble opinion, the leading Authority on Alligator Bowhunting.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Julian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »
Thank you sir I will do that, if I can figure out how that is.
Bear grizzly 50# @28
Browning cobra 45# @28

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 09:32:00 PM »
Terry Receveur ([email protected])
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 10:08:00 PM »
I used German Kinetic broadheads to take my 11'1", 390# gator. I first shot him with a bowfishing arrow, then finished him off with the broadhead arrows.

There was no hook line involved.

Bisch

Offline Julian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 11:00:00 PM »
Thank you fellas,  I sent Terry a PM. Bisch, that is my plan. I'm just really looking to put a good solid shot in from the start. I have used regular bowfishing arrows before but they don't do anything towards actually killing the animal. And as I'm sure you know a big lizard puts up a tremendous fight for a LONG time. Getting one of those big fellas boatside is dangerous business and every advantage is needed. I'm wanting my first shot to start the killing process as well as hold the gator securely. Of course I have got to draw a tag first!!
Bear grizzly 50# @28
Browning cobra 45# @28

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 11:19:00 PM »
I had someone else holing the bowfishing line. I actually shot him with 2 bowfishing arrows before trying to shoot him with the broadheads. He did not act like the bowfishing arrows even phased him! The guide told me to shoot it at the base of the skull, like where you would use a bang stick. It took several shots with the broadheads to hit him just right, but that one did him in in seconds. They can live for an exceptionally long time if you shoot them in the lungs.

They make exceptional European mounts!

Good luck,

Bisch

Offline Julian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 11:33:00 PM »
Yes they are tough animals for sure, my largest so far is 12'8 598lbs. I'm familiar with the species, I'm just looking for a good cut on contact broad head to help quicken then process. As you say the fish points don't phase them at all.
Bear grizzly 50# @28
Browning cobra 45# @28

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 09:48:00 PM »
I bet a simmons tree shark or a land shark would make short work of one there devastating to everything else so I bet it would be bad medicine on a lizard to
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 07:21:00 AM »
I agree, talk with Terry. I'm sure he's responded to you by now.  If not, be patient as I know he has a lot going on right now.  
He's boated probably 20 gators in the past several years. ( His and guests)
If my memory serves me correctly, Terry uses bowfishing arrows and piths them when next to the boat.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 08:38:00 AM »
I took one 3 years ago using Ace 160.
 Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule
Home of the Tennessee Classic

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 12:32:00 PM »
Sorry guys! Been away for awhile.  Yeah, we are totally tradional as well. I've been fortunate to hunt and take 22 gators from my boat (I've actually only killed one myself (over 12'). We do it like Bisch noted above. Get close and stick them with a bowfishing arrow with a Muzzy detacheable head and then pull them up next to the boat. We generally get a couple arrows in them and for the big ones we'll harpoon with the same Muzzy head, but with a bigger diameter line. We then get them next to the boat, grab them, tape the mouth and then pithe them. On rare occasions when the gator is over 10' we'll use a broadhead arrow and shoot them through the lungs.  We've used Snuffers and two blade heads.  It doesn't take a really tough head if you shoot them through the side. Bill Terry shot one with a 165 gr Snuffer and it blew completely through a 10' gator so fast we didn't think he hit.  In FL you have to have a line attached to all arrows you shoot a gator with. Including the broadhead killing arrow. Little Billy Langer shot one when he was 10 years old and using a 35# bow with the setup described above.

Julian, finally sent you a PM too.  Sorry for the delay.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 12:42:00 PM »
They are fun to hunt. Tom took this one this year.

This is still my favorite gator photo.

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 01:59:00 PM »
i took one this past August (not trad, so i'll omit the details), and it was the most fun hunting adventure i've ever had. a two-man hunt in a small boat, and a very difficult harvest.

a total blast!
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©