3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Not Giving Up on Trees but...I'm Going to Go to Ground a Bit  (Read 885 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Not Giving Up on Trees but...I'm Going to Go to Ground a Bit
« on: March 04, 2017, 06:06:00 PM »
Been reading a bunch here about folks that walk by a perfectly good tree to hunt from the ground    :)  .   I've hunted from the ground where trees weren't an option (mulies, antelope, and a TX deer/hog hunt.

All my whitetail hunting, except that one hunt in TX, has been from trees since 1970.  I love the tree stand strategy because of the view, the climb, and being above the normal line of sight of my quarry.

However, I've been walking by some really nice ground blind (natural, pop-up, etc.) locations for about 12 years.  One spot in particular is a natural stand of eastern red cedars on a ridge above a heavily wooded hillside. It overlooks a "Y" shaped, narrow pasture ridge where I often see deer during my travels on the farm.  

This next season, I'm going to make this and another place or two spots to hunt from the ground just to change things up a bit.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not Giving Up on Trees but...I'm Going to Go to Ground a Bit
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 07:43:00 PM »
I have been pretty much 100% ground for the past several years and 75% or more for longer than that.  I just really don't see a down side right now.  Maybe... if one gets close, you have less leeway to screw around because you weren't paying attention.

I hunt areas that have marginal trees and have even moved to some areas where there are no substantive trees (and no competition).  

A few years back, I watched a very nice buck walk into the wood patch in the marsh I was sitting, and he took a few steps, very obviously surveilled the trees, took a few more, etc until he made it thru the patch.  He didn't watch ME near enough, but our regs at the time were "earn a buck" and he was free to walk around me.

Plus..... I can quietly sneak into the spot with less lead time needed " for things to quiet down" (and also spread my scent).

You may very well learn to like it...
ChuckC

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 07:44:00 PM »
I like the ground.  Not as far too fall...

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 07:48:00 PM »
You'll love it, you have to be on top of your game when hunting from the ground.  I also like to hunt from the ground but prefer to stalk them under the right conditions. If your on the ground and there is no action,  you can always change things around especially if you spot them and just need to get a little closer and the conditions are in your favor.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 07:49:00 PM »
I'll bet you will have a blast!  Getting spitting distance to a deer at eye ball level will get your juices flowing!  There is also a learning curve involved.  You can't get away with much, if any; movement and they can hear you breathing.  I enjoy it but I'm glad I don't have to feed my family this way.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »
Sounds like a plan!  Two years ago I took 2 turkeys and 2 deer using a blind for the first time.  It was quite enjoyable!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 08:16:00 PM »
Good luck Roy.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Fat Clyde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »
Its loads of fun! Only downside I found is I don't hear them coming as easily.
Arise, kill, and eat.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »
I feel that I see more deer from the ground .
I've thought that I have been busted in the trees from a distance and I never knew it .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 08:55:00 AM »
Interesting and encouraging posts.  

I do recall how cool it was on that TX hunt with deer (and a hog) at eye level less than 20 yards away (killed both of them).   The shots seemed easier as well with broadside and no downward angle.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 09:25:00 AM »
Roy..... wait till the shots are at 5 yards....
Talk about exciting !  They can hear you draw the arrow at that range.

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »
I do a fair amount of hunting from the ground every year with bow and flintlocks.  Anyone that wants to put real excitement back into their hunts should take at least some time to sit on the ground each year.

I'm not abandoning trees, but sitting on the ground gives you new perspective, and not just from the view!
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 10:35:00 AM »
I love hunting on the ground. Especially on state land. deer get smart and they look for guys in trees. I sat in a small chair in the middle of a swamp dark to dark 3 years ago and killed a nice 5pt at 7yards. He never knew I was there. It was awesome

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 10:50:00 AM »
My hunting is strictly from the ground . Over 100 hunts this past deer season.

Passed up 48 totally separate solid shot opportunities on bucks this past season...average yardage ~13 yards...furthest counted was 20 yards...passed on 4 nice book bucks...was close on two true giants

Productive and consistent successful hunting from the ground requires considerable planning, well thought out strategy and considerable implementation time. Note: My own plan of attack is continuing to evolve.

Already have put in over 30 hours of labor since season just prepping for next season.

Already hyped....
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 11:03:00 AM »
Get Fred Asbell's book on still hunting.  A wealth of info on hunting the ground.  What he leaves out the deer will teach you in their graduate program.

Online hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 07:21:00 PM »
I find ground hunting extremely rewarding and it adds more challenge to have a successful season. (IMHO)  Staying quiet and visually alert while moving  slowly is easier said than done. When you find the squirrels not paying attention to you, your doing a good job.  One word of caution, it does increase your exposure to ticks so treat your clothes with permethrin  and take precautions.  Best of luck!
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 07:55:00 PM »
I love stalking and still hunting! You couldn't pay me to hunt from a tree, unless it's for bear over bait... That being said, I have yet to make meat this way but with soooo much action, it keeps me at it!

... mike ...  :archer2:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
I've squirrel hunted most of my life (rimfire and now air rifle).  I love it. That and bowhunting ground hogs when I was a teenager provided a lot of training.  All of that was sort of still-hunting. I knew where the mast trees were and ground hog burrows. I slipped into range and waited. It was very common for me to move less than 100 yards during a squirrel hunt, from one shagbark to another, waiting 10-20 minutes between moves. Of course spot and stalking bushy tails and whistle pigs was a necessary tactic at times.  

It is not my intention to still hunt for whitetails. Frankly, I think I'd have difficulty with patient moving. Seems strange admitting a patience problem because I have no problem sitting in tree stands 2-4 hours.

I'm simply going to set up intersection points where I will sit in wait (with very good cover), as if in a tree.  Planning to use natural material as much as possible. Some spots won't even require manipulation except maybe trimming a couple of widows.  

I hunt from pop-ups for turkey and antelope but I don't like the stuffiness and closed in feeling of those blinds. It is such a breath of fresh air climbing out of those blinds at the end of a hunt.   I realize pop-ups provide lots of freedom to stretch and peak around (if I'm blacked out and in the back of the blind).

I know my property very well. I've hunted it (163 acres) since about 2000. I can be in some of my favorite stands, strapped up, and text my wife "safe", just 14-20 minutes after walking out my back door.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 08:49:00 AM »
Roy, if it interests you, look into a ghillie suit.  I am really liking my Rancho Safari long coat ( the ultra light version for me).  It takes trimming, but I really can't tell you how much fun I have had wearing it, and the close encounters I have had while doing so.  

Yeah, once in a while I get busted, but the majority of times it is because I moved at a bad time.  

Although I have done it, sitting in a grass field, looking like a bush ( that wasn't there yesterday) is not the greatest idea, but they really don't seem to know it is ME under the leaves, just that it was weird.  In the marsh, with taller grass, they just don't seem to even notice me.

It doesn't take much background cover, and I have had hen turkeys circle me as I sat at the foot of a large tree, gun on my lap, talking to her as she walked.  One was only about ten feet away from me the whole circle.

I like to nestle in where some dead oak branches with leaves provide some natural similar shapes (to me), and have had great luck.

Good luck... it works and is fun
ChuckC

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 09:10:00 AM »
I used to only hunt from treestands. The I got a lease in S Tx where there were very few trees big enough for a treestand, and was forced to the ground. After many years of hunting on the ground, I much prefer a ground blind now, and I think the shot angle is better from the ground.

That being said, I will still put up a treestand if I find a spot where I think it is needed, but am looking for ground blind spots when I scout!

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©